3 replies to this topic

#1 cindyb1

cindyb1

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Would love some help understanding my blood work. Went to the dr and saw the NP. Ive always had stomach problems since I was a little girl but after a stressful year, it seems my symptoms have gotten worse. Gas, cramping, extreme constipation, feeling like someone is squeezing my stomach with ice cold fingers, and I could go on and on.

Every time I have so much as a crumb of gluten, these symptoms kick in. Its gotten worse and worse. I want to cry, Im so depressed.

Long story short, the nurse practitioner that I saw never called with my blood work up results and when I finally got a hold of her, she said I was fine. I was not convinced I was fine, so I picked up my results and this is what I saw:

I'm positive for:

Anti- tTg IgA antibodies detected 

Anti-gliadin IgG antibodies detected 

Anti-gliadin IgA antibodies detected

Can someone help determine what this means? And why would the NP say I was fine if Im positive? Other blood work was inconclusive and needed to be redone. 

Thank you so much for any help. 

Cindy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Fenrir

Fenrir

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

Well, typically they have numbers behind the results, not just say positive or negative. 

The important one of the group would be the tTG IgA, if that is positive (and a true positive) then you most likely have Celiac. 

I have not come across celiac tests that are qualitative (+/-), most of the time they are quntitative. Now, if you did a home kit or the lab does just the qualitative version you probably are going to want to have an EGD to confirm it.

Abdominal Pain/GI symptoms started= ~01/02/2014

Gallbladder out= 02/20/14

tTG IgA Postive= 03/21/14

DX via Biopsy (Marsh 3b)= 04/21/14

Celiac Antibodies within Normal range(Gluten free diet)= 10/23/2014

#3 cindyb1

cindyb1

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

Well, typically they have numbers behind the results, not just say positive or negative. 

The important one of the group would be the tTG IgA, if that is positive (and a true positive) then you most likely have Celiac. 

I have not come across celiac tests that are qualitative (+/-), most of the time they are quntitative. Now, if you did a home kit or the lab does just the qualitative version you probably are going to want to have an EGD to confirm it.

Oh yes, it says >25 EU/ml positive if that makes a difference!

#4 Fenrir

Fenrir

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Oh yes, it says >25 EU/ml positive if that makes a difference!

Well, if that is for the tTG IgA then more than likely you have celiac disease and should probably seek out a good GI doc for further work up.

Abdominal Pain/GI symptoms started= ~01/02/2014

Gallbladder out= 02/20/14

tTG IgA Postive= 03/21/14

DX via Biopsy (Marsh 3b)= 04/21/14

Celiac Antibodies within Normal range(Gluten free diet)= 10/23/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: