Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Help? Strange Rash. Doctors Can't Identify. Photos.

skin rash dermatitis herpetiformis rash petechiae

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 MsHolland

MsHolland

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

Hi! This is my first post :)

I'm still in the middle of the diagnosis process (blood work for food allergies-negative, colonoscopy/endoscopy-scheduled, elimination diet-successful).

To make a long story short, I'm highly sensitive and have been off gluten (all grains except rice) and dairy for 11 months. I wanted to try reintroducing gluten (while controlling for dairy) at least one more time before having all of the unpleasant GI tests done.

The first time I reintroduced gluten since my initial gluten challenge was this February (9 months after going gluten-free). All of my usual symptoms returned, except that I got a weird new rash on both of my thighs. I only had one serving/day of gluten for four days and the rash showed up after a couple of days. So I stopped eating it, and the rash went away.

Then I reintroduced it again for four days in mid-March (10 months) and the rash reappeared on my thighs, again after a few days. So I stopped eating it and went in for allergy testing--negative.

Then last week, I was glutened from a cross contaminated olive oil "mayonnaise" jar (I'm that sensitive), and the rash reappeared. 

I've had a total of 4 doctors look at it and none of them have any idea what it is. 

It doesn't itch, it's completely smooth/flat to the touch, and it doesn't blanch or fade when I press on it. My only guess is that it's a mild case of petechiae or purpura, as it looks like I'm bleeding under my skin. It's primarily on my thighs, but I have a bit on my hips as well. And it does go away, albeit gradually.

My PCP/internist said she could refer me to a dermatologist, but she thinks that it's more imperative that I get in to the GI for a colonoscopy/endoscopy. 

Any ideas? I'm so sick of being sick :(

https://www.flickr.c...05/13588883273/

https://www.flickr.c...05/13588841195/

https://www.flickr.c...05/13585386044/

https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/

Edited by MsHolland, 02 April 2014 - 05:33 PM.

Gluten Free: since May 2013

Dairy Free: since Sept 2013

Grain Free: since Sept 2013

Gluten Reintroduction Challenge: Feb 2014 (Positive--only made it four days, first major rash episode)

IgE Food Allergy Blood Panel: Mar 2014 (Negative)

tTG IgA Blood Test: Mar 2014 (Negative--results inconclusive because on gluten-free diet)

Reactions to: dairy, gluten, corn, and basically all prolamin containing grains except for white rice  :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 124chicksinger

124chicksinger

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

I have a petechia type rash on the tops of my feet, "crawling" up to my ankles, and a smidge on the tops of each hand.  My GP/GI said he didn't have a clue,  This was about a year ago, and now it is back.  The first time, it started on my left hand and I thought it might be a nickel allergy to a cheap watch.  Then it went to my feet.  I was taking Biotin at the time and the GP/GI thought maybe it was that, but he said go see a dermatologist. I never did.  I put aloe gel on it, and also hand lotion to soothe it.  I still don't know what it is, but most of the stuff I read leads to allergies.  

#3 MsHolland

MsHolland

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

I have a petechia type rash on the tops of my feet, "crawling" up to my ankles, and a smidge on the tops of each hand.  My GP/GI said he didn't have a clue,  This was about a year ago, and now it is back.  The first time, it started on my left hand and I thought it might be a nickel allergy to a cheap watch.  Then it went to my feet.  I was taking Biotin at the time and the GP/GI thought maybe it was that, but he said go see a dermatologist. I never did.  I put aloe gel on it, and also hand lotion to soothe it.  I still don't know what it is, but most of the stuff I read leads to allergies.  

Interesting.

I intentionally haven't been taking any vitamins lately--even though I was very excited that I found some nice gluten-free, DF, corn free, soy free, prenatal multivitamins! I've decided that I'm basically just going to let my body get as sick as it wants to, and then let the doctors figure out what's wrong with me :( Should be tons of fun.

Apart from being frightening, my rash isn't irritating or uncomfortable, so I haven't put anything on it other than my usual Cetaphil body lotion. It is spreading though. It started on my thighs, then it appeared on my hips, and now it's on my lower legs. And it's symmetrical on both sides of my body. I know that's a characteristic of DH, but this rash doesn't itch. 

I'm almost positive it's petechiae. My guess is it's a symptom of a vitamin K deficiency from malabsorption. But it's definitely my body bleeding under the skin. It looks just like the second photo on this webpage:

http://insidetheclin...uses-treatment/

Have you been allergy tested, Singer?

Edited by MsHolland, 04 April 2014 - 07:36 AM.

Gluten Free: since May 2013

Dairy Free: since Sept 2013

Grain Free: since Sept 2013

Gluten Reintroduction Challenge: Feb 2014 (Positive--only made it four days, first major rash episode)

IgE Food Allergy Blood Panel: Mar 2014 (Negative)

tTG IgA Blood Test: Mar 2014 (Negative--results inconclusive because on gluten-free diet)

Reactions to: dairy, gluten, corn, and basically all prolamin containing grains except for white rice  :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: