This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

All Natural Gluten Free Make Up

kmatzke9

kmatzke9 Newbie

I was recently diagnosed with a gluten sensitivity.  I never would have even thought to look for gluten free make up or even thought of make up as containing gluten.  Someone told me she hasn't been even able to have make up in her house because of her son's strong sensitivity to gluten.  Anyone else hear of this or have this problem? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I think if you use the google function at the top right of the forum, you will find a lot of make-up suggestions.  Watch dates on the posts - some could be years old.

Makeup, shampoos, etc doesn't not need to be gluten free with the exception of anything that you might ingest - lipstick, shampoo for some of us messy ones, etc.  Gluten must be ingested to cause a Celiac reaction.

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I use Bare Minerals makeup.  Almost all of their products are gluten-free (you can check their website).  I don't wear lipstick and I don't worry about mascara being gluten free because I'm not likely to eat it.  I like that the mineral makeup is gluten free though because it is powdery and gets in the air.  I'm sure a little bit of it is inhaled and possibly swallowed.

Some people do also have a topical reaction to gluten, but that is a separate thing from Celiac.  (you can have either, neither, or both)

LauraTX Rising Star

I rarely wear makeup, like once or twice a year.  But when I do I use the Bare Minerals makeup, the ones I use are gluten-free since it is all powdery and definitely gets in my mouth.  Lipstick I always read ingredients on to make sure it is gluten-free and sometimes the label isn't visible in the store or under the shrinkwrap... but right now I have a cheapo NYC lipstick that has no gluten ingredients.  If you sleep in your makeup (which you aren't supposed to do but a lot of people still do), it should probably all be gluten-free since you are rubbing it all over your face in your sleep. But like Karen said, you just have to think about the chances of it getting into your mouth and how comfortable you feel.

• 3 weeks later...
cindyb1 Rookie

Ooh this is my area! I run a natural beauty blog and will be sure to actively seek out totally gluten free products but I can recommend: Red Apple Lipstick, Josh Rosebrook products, Acure Organics, Lauren Brooke cosmetiques, W3LL People, RMS Beauty, ILIA beauty. 

You want to seek out PURE ingredients that are recognizable. Try going to Skin Deep, run by the EWG to see the purity of various  brands. 

XO

Cindy

notme Experienced

i use physician's formula.  all their stuff is gluten free and i have sensitive skin but it doesn't make me break out.  burt's bees has some stuff that is gluten free.  i use that for lip gloss.  i check on the manufacturer's website to make sure the particular product is gluten free.  

Archived