This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could It Be Corn?

HavaneseMom

HavaneseMom Explorer

Hi Everyone,

I have been gluten free almost 6 months now since my Celiac diagnosis. In that time, I have only felt well about 3 weeks total. The good days have been scattered around, but in the last 2 months, I have only had a couple of good days. I have been scrutinizing my diet and have tried other eliminations, but am starting to think that maybe corn might be my problem.

I have noticed that I don't feel well after breakfast, which is often certified gluten free corn based cereals with almond milk. This morning after breakfast I felt so bad! I had horrible nausea, weakness, the shakes and extreme abdominal pain which all left me exhausted. My torso from my chest to my hips feels like I was beat up and is now sore to the touch. After this happened, I though about some of my worst episodes lately and I realize I had ate corn pasta, corn cereal or corn before them.

I was wondering if corn could really be making me feel so bad when I should be feeling better at this point? I was curious and searched the web for celiac and corn and was shocked at this article I found:

Open Original Shared Link

I had no idea that this was a known problem for some people with Celiac!

So now I am going to remove corn from my diet to see what happens, but was surprised to find out it is hidden in so many products. I am wondering if people have success eliminating just the obvious corn containing foods, or do people typically have to remove all of the offenders from this corn allergen list to see positive results?

This list is long!

Thanks in advance

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Corn makes me swell/bloat even more than gluten, I think.  Yeah, it is overwhelming looking at the ingredients that can be corn derived.  One has to read labels  I buy meat straight from farmers, grow my own vegetables, and do canning.  If you go to a local farmers market you may find some connections.  Ask questions before buying anything.

D

HavaneseMom Explorer

Corn makes me swell/bloat even more than gluten, I think.  Yeah, it is overwhelming looking at the ingredients that can be corn derived.  One has to read labels  I buy meat straight from farmers, grow my own vegetables, and do canning.  If you go to a local farmers market you may find some connections.  Ask questions before buying anything.

D

Thanks for the advice!

I have been reading through some of the other threads about corn, and it sounds like it is a very serious offender to some people like yourself. For now, I am going to go grain free for a while and just avoid the obvious corn ingredients and hope that will be enough for me to see a difference. There are so many more hidden corn ingredients than gluten! Gluten is easy compared to corn. I can see why you would buy meat from the farmers, grow your own produce and can.

I had a couple of scrambled eggs with some natural roasted turkey tossed in for breakfast today, and am feeling better than I usually do after breakfast, but am still wiped out after yesterday's episode. Hopefully I will continue to feel better with the elimination of grains.

FruitEnthusiast Enthusiast

Yes, corn is used in so many foods in so many forms. I have been sensitive to it for a long time, but not super sensitive like some are. I found that avoiding foods that are made of mostly corn allowed me to be less careful with the additives on that long list you found, those amounts are smaller. I still get corn in my supplements, (those darn things are hard to find without corn in them!), so I'm working on that one still. I don't get symptoms from them, but I'm learning that it's important not to overdo anything I'm sensitive to. The sensitivities can all start to add up to an overload in the body and start to cause problems with other foods.

It sounds like you have been eating quite a bit of corn in your diet lately (which is easy to do with gluten free products, lots of corn used in those). It may be that you are just over-doing it and if you back off the corn for awhile you may find that you can eat it again, but in smaller amounts maybe or less often. I would stop eating corn for a month at least before trying to introduce it again to give your body a break. Once it builds up, it takes time for it to leave your system.

HavaneseMom Explorer

Yes, corn is used in so many foods in so many forms. I have been sensitive to it for a long time, but not super sensitive like some are. I found that avoiding foods that are made of mostly corn allowed me to be less careful with the additives on that long list you found, those amounts are smaller. I still get corn in my supplements, (those darn things are hard to find without corn in them!), so I'm working on that one still. I don't get symptoms from them, but I'm learning that it's important not to overdo anything I'm sensitive to. The sensitivities can all start to add up to an overload in the body and start to cause problems with other foods.

It sounds like you have been eating quite a bit of corn in your diet lately (which is easy to do with gluten free products, lots of corn used in those). It may be that you are just over-doing it and if you back off the corn for awhile you may find that you can eat it again, but in smaller amounts maybe or less often. I would stop eating corn for a month at least before trying to introduce it again to give your body a break. Once it builds up, it takes time for it to leave your system.

Thank you for that information!

I think you are very right and I had corn overload. I have been avoiding the obvious corn products for the last four days, and have felt much better than I have in the last two months. My tummy actually feels calm :-) . I'm glad I have been able to see results without having to be super strict and look for all of the ingredients on that long list. I am going to take your advice and make sure I don't overload on any one type of food. It's funny you mentioned that, because I have been eating a lot of chicken breast lately and I noticed it is starting to bother me a bit too and wasn't sure why. I think I may be starting to overload on that too. It sounds like everything in moderation is best for some of us.

Also, if you are still looking for corn free supplements, I use and really like Thorne Research supplements. Their allergen info is the third question down in this link:

You can purchase them through amazon or a their authorized online retailer is www.needs.com , they can also tell you who carries them locally if you give Thorne a call.

It's hard for me to find supplements that don't upset my stomach, but I have had pretty good luck with theirs so far.

Also, if you are still looking for corn free supplements, I use and really like Thorne Research supplements. Their allergen info is the third question down in this link:

You can purchase them through amazon or a their authorized online retailer is www.needs.com , they can also tell you who carries them locally if you give Thorne a call.

It's hard for me to find supplements that don't upset my stomach, but I have had pretty good luck with theirs so far.

Thanks for this info, I'll check it out!

I'm really glad to hear you are feeling better!

I eat chicken breast every day and I have to be careful not to have too much at once, which is actually true in general for me. I do much better with more smaller meals. I make chicken soup, with just bottled water, sea salt, and chicken breasts w/o skin. I let it simmer for an hour and a half until it almost falls off the bone. It's delicious and I figure the meat is easier to digest when it's cooked that way. I always eat vegetables with it too otherwise it feels heavy in my stomach. I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about, but yes everything in moderation does seem to help a lot of us.

w8in4dave Community Regular

I am also Corn intolerant! I don't eat anything pre packaged I eat only fresh Vegetables , fresh meat , and fresh Fruit! There is so much corn in everything. I was handed a Applesauce the other day, I almost opened it and was going to just eat it. But my inner self told me to look 1st. And sure enuf it has Corn Syrup. And it comes in so many different names I just eat whole foods thats it. Not worth it to me. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I am also Corn intolerant! I don't eat anything pre packaged I eat only fresh Vegetables , fresh meat , and fresh Fruit!

When you say "pre-packaged", does that include vegetables in a plastic bag?

Vegetables sold in plastic bags are rinsed in ascorbic/citric acid, which is made from corn, not from citrus. I think it's to keep them fresh.

I've still been buying baby carrots in a bag. I rinse them now when I get home and store them in a different bag, but I might be in denial on this one. I'm not sure how careful I have to be, but I eat a lot of carrots. Do I really have to buy carrots in bulk and peel and cut them? My arm is already sore from cutting up everything else! I think I'm answering my own question. I'm so bummed.

w8in4dave Community Regular

When you say "pre-packaged", does that include vegetables in a plastic bag?

Vegetables sold in plastic bags are rinsed in ascorbic/citric acid, which is made from corn, not from citrus. I think it's to keep them fresh.

I've still been buying baby carrots in a bag. I rinse them now when I get home and store them in a different bag, but I might be in denial on this one. I'm not sure how careful I have to be, but I eat a lot of carrots. Do I really have to buy carrots in bulk and peel and cut them? My arm is already sore from cutting up everything else! I think I'm answering my own question. I'm so bummed.

Yes it includes vegetables in a plastic bag. I also make sure I wash my vegetables in mild soap and water because sometimes companies wash their fruits and vegetables with corn water. Don't ask me why? I read that here. Don't know where the link is. So I wash them gently in mild soapy water and rinse well. I buy Organic colored carrots I just wash them then after washing and rinsing ,I scrape them ,rinse and eat I don't buy baby carrots anymore. Well I take that back I don't eat baby carrots any more I buy them for my husband tho. The good thing is I lost over 30lbs. In just a few months. Just cut out the Gluten and corn eat fresh veggies and fruit and meat. Thats how I eat. Last time hubbs went to the Dr. He lost 8 lbs. He didn't do anything different , it was my cooking. He still eats Gluten and corn , just not as much. 

Thanks. I broke the ice and bought organic whole carrots last night, the ones that are sitting out loose in the produce area (without the green tops), not the ones in a bag. Surprising how hard it was to take that step. I plan to peel mine though, I don't like the taste of the skin.

I'm lucky I'm only mildly sensitive to it corn, but since I have developed a histamine intolerance I need to watch my overall intake of everything I'm sensitive to. For the folks who are super sensitive to corn it's way worse. Finding corn free vitamins is a challenge. I'm still working on that one.

I have found several sites devoted to living corn free which is helpful. At some point more people are going to OD on corn the way many have with gluten and develop a problem, just like the numbers have skyrocketed with gluten intolerant people. I don't know why it hasn't happened yet, especially since gluten-free foods are often made with corn. Enough people are sensitive to corn that some things are already labeled corn free, maybe corn free items will increase, I expect they will.

Archived