arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Being Pressured Into Eating Gluten/ Gluten Addiction?

gluten food bread budget relatives will addiction

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 NoGlutenCooties

NoGlutenCooties

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:58 AM

Hi Raison -

What you need to be aware of and to constantly remember is that you have Celiac.  It is a disease.  When you ingest gluten, even tiny amounts of it, your immune system generates antibodies.  These antibodies attack your healthy cells and reak havoc inside your body.  When you eat gluten you are killing yourself from the inside out.  So while you may not experience immediate side-effects, over time you will start to have other much more serious, potentially life threatening issues.  Read the various threads on this forum from folks who have suffered some pretty horrible health complications as a result of long-term undiagnosed Celiac Disease.  Hopefully this will be enough to scare you straight.

The other folks had some really good suggestions - take your own food with you and stick to simple, whole foods that are healthy and inexpensive.  You can do it.  Do it for you.  Do it for your child.  Your child needs you to be around.

Positive Bloodtest: Oct 1, 2013

Gluten-free since: Oct 2, 2013

Celiac confirmed by Biopsy: Oct 29, 2013

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 skullgrl

skullgrl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

If you were taking your Adderall for AD/HD and you are now no longer taking it, this can adversely effect your will power/impulsiveness as well as remembering what you can eat. I have ADD and take Concerta for it. I know I am a complete air-head with out it and would probably accidentally gluten myself consistently. If ADD or ADHD is the reason for taking the Adderall then please consider the fact that your brain is missing some chemicals that help you function like everyone else. Its a chemical imbalance in your body. 

I think you may wish to see someone to see if you have depression. A lot of us have it not just because of what gluten does to you but because we have to deal with restrictions, people questioning us, being ill etc. etc. etc. I have had to deal with depression for these reasons and I can tell you that getting help is well... helpful. It can really change things for you, as it did me.

I know you don't get terrible gastrointestinal symptoms but that doesn't mean it effects you any less. You need to realize that if you continue to eat gluten, it could kill you, a lot earlier meaning less time with your child. 

I think getting a formal diagnosis would help with other people, you can also write off additional food costs. Try getting the test for the genetic marker, this in addition to the positive biopsy results might be enough for a doctor to get a formal diagnosis. You need to just set boundaries and make sure you always have food on hand. When leaving the house it needs to be a priority. Tell people no, then firmly no and then if they continue to bother you about it you need to realize that your health isn't worth it. No one would want someone recovering drug problem/smoker around people who push it on them, you shouldn't be subjected to it either. A good line, if you need one could be,"Would you so persistently push a chocolate bar on me if I was a diabetic?" Some people may never accept your illness and you need to accept that and make sure you put your health first when around them or limit your time with them (obviously, not really possible in some cases).

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease May 2013.

Gluten free ever since.

#18 CathyO

CathyO

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

I am recently diagnosed, and have struggled with similar emotional responses from myself and from other people around me.

My last serious gluten exposure found me unconscious on the bathroom floor, then in an ambulance, and I spent 3 days in the cardiac ward of the hospital.  My heart was affected by my exposure.  While I may be much older than some who are newly diagnosed, I consider 60 to be pretty young by today's standards.

I am now hard-core about being gluten free and watching every morsel of food that goes in my body. Religiously reading every label on every pre-packaged food I consume.  I am learning (LEARNING is the key word) to say "I'm sorry if my disease offends you, however I prefer to be alive and not in the hospital due to eating gluten. I'd love to come to your house, however, I will have to bring my own food with me. I don't want to offend you, and I want to spend time with you.  If this is a problem for you, I understand."
And then I move on.  It's hard. And as others have said, you find out who your true friends are.

When I go out and think I may be hungry, I take things with me.  Little baggies of nuts.  Heck, even those fresh fruit squeeze pouches of fruits and veggies come in handy if I'm hungry. They don't require refrigeration, take up little space and aren't heavy. A Banana is easy to tuck in my purse. A baggie with some of my favorite gluten-free crackers.  Little packs of sliced pepperoni (gluten-free). A foil bag of salmon or tuna for a quick protein fix. A bag of potato chips that are from a gluten-free facility.  I even picked up a special "food bag" to carry my snacks in if I know we're going to be out and about for a while.

It's extra work and requires extra planning.  It makes me more conscious about what I am eating, why I am eating it and when I am eating it.  I'm sorry if Grandma dismisses your feelings and doesn't respect your choices.  But you are an adult and they are your choices.

Print out some info about Celiac and HD and give it to her to read at her leisure.  Educate her.

I prefer to remain alive.  While your disease hasn't progressed to the point of being life threatening, if left untreated (by continuing to eat gluten) it can very well progress to the point that it is life threatening. 

I have way too much to live for -- and food containing gluten could kill me (maybe not that instant, maybe not today, but eventually it will destroy my body) -- and none of it tastes good enough to risk my life.

#19 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

My last serious gluten exposure found me unconscious on the bathroom floor, then in an ambulance, and I spent 3 days in the cardiac ward of the hospital.  My heart was affected by my exposure.  While I may be much older than some who are newly diagnosed, I consider 60 to be pretty young by today's standards.

I think Cathy deserves an award for best attitude towards her new gluten free life!  This is the wisdom that comes with age, folks.  I am only 5 years younger than Cathy but she is right.......60 is definitely on the young side today.  Maybe because some of us get so seriously ill from gluten ingestion that we accept things more readily than others but Cathy's attitude towards what others may think and say is spot on.  Nothing of what anyone else thinks/says matters....only your health and the work a person does to stay 100% gluten free.

Good work, Cathy!  :)

#20 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

I think Cathy deserves an award for best attitude towards her new gluten free life!  This is the wisdom that comes with age, folks.  I am only 5 years younger than Cathy but she is right.......60 is definitely on the young side today.  Maybe because some of us get so seriously ill from gluten ingestion that we accept things more readily than others but Cathy's attitude towards what others may think and say is spot on.  Nothing of what anyone else thinks/says matters....only your health and the work a person does to stay 100% gluten free.

Good work, Cathy!  :)

I second...the award goes to Cathy :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#21 CathyO

CathyO

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the "votes of confidence".  It's hard to stay strong, some days.

Some days are just rough ones. And some people are harder to deal with than others.

#22 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for the "votes of confidence".  It's hard to stay strong, some days.

Some days are just rough ones. And some people are harder to deal with than others.

Ain't that the truth!

On those days, come here -- we "get" it :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)
Celiac.com Sponsors: