This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Testing For Kids

ashleyld

ashleyld Rookie

We just got the blood results and next is the endoscopy. Anyone taken their small child before (my little is 3)? to be honest i am freaking out a little bit about her being sedated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fenrir Community Regular

I have not had to have this particular procedure done on my daughter (she's 6) but she's have several other's. 

When she was 8 months old she had to have a cranioplasty (Basically rebuild of the skull from the eye sockets up) because her plates fused too early. 

When she was about a year old she had tubes in her ears, then they came out so they went in and took out the adenoides and put a second set of tubes. 

Finally, last year she had to have a second surgery on her head. 

So, she's been put under 4 times, came out perfectly fine each time. 

There are always risks with sedation but it is a relatively low risk. Doesn't make it easier for parents though.

greenbeanie Enthusiast

My daughter had her endoscopy just after turning 4, and it went totally smoothly. The nurses were wonderful and even gave her stuffed animal a gas mask and band-aid, and tucked him under a blanket too. I'd highly recommend bringing a favorite toy! I was nervous about the anesthesia too, but it was fine. They sedated her with gas before putting the IV in, so that wasn't traumatic. They also drew blood for more lab work while she was asleep. I was able to go into the procedure room with her and hold her hand until she fell asleep, and they called me into the recovery area before she woke up again.

The only other thing I wish we'd known beforehand is that the procedure room was very noisy, with banging equipment and lots of nurses and assistants all chatting. My daughter was a bit freaked out by all the sudden noise (the prep area had been quiet), and I hadn't realized there'd be so many people in the room. There were at least five or six people there, in addition to us. But otherwise it was really an easy process, and my daughter was thrilled that she got a ride to the hospital door in a wheelchair after! I think it's a lot more stressful for the parents than for the kids.

ashleyld Rookie

My daughter had her endoscopy just after turning 4, and it went totally smoothly. The nurses were wonderful and even gave her stuffed animal a gas mask and band-aid, and tucked him under a blanket too. I'd highly recommend bringing a favorite toy! I was nervous about the anesthesia too, but it was fine. They sedated her with gas before putting the IV in, so that wasn't traumatic. They also drew blood for more lab work while she was asleep. I was able to go into the procedure room with her and hold her hand until she fell asleep, and they called me into the recovery area before she woke up again.

The only other thing I wish we'd known beforehand is that the procedure room was very noisy, with banging equipment and lots of nurses and assistants all chatting. My daughter was a bit freaked out by all the sudden noise (the prep area had been quiet), and I hadn't realized there'd be so many people in the room. There were at least five or six people there, in addition to us. But otherwise it was really an easy process, and my daughter was thrilled that she got a ride to the hospital door in a wheelchair after! I think it's a lot more stressful for the parents than for the kids.

Thank you so very much for yur reply!

frieze Community Regular

yeah, noise is one of the bigger complaints in health care.  We, HCW, sometimes just don't hear it....

africanqueen99 Contributor

My middle kid was scoped at 3.5 years.  Child Life came in to help him prepare (put stickers on gas mask, etc) then he was taken and gassed before his IV.  Because he was gassed he had so much medication in his system that it took him quite a bit to wake up.  I was promised a huge nap that day - he slept not one minute!!

Overall, the experience was fine, but it was so much easier for my oldest to have the same procedure since she didn't need a valium and gas - she woke quickly and was ready to roll.

JennyW Newbie

It is scary to put your little one under for the procedure, but it is worth it.  My little girl was barely 14 months when she had hers done and it all went perfectly.  And it is a relatively quick procedure so you don't have to worry for too long.  More importantly we got the confirmed positive result that gave us a real diagnosis and we were able to make a very, very sick girl so very happy again :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ashleyld Rookie

It is scary to put your little one under for the procedure, but it is worth it.  My little girl was barely 14 months when she had hers done and it all went perfectly.  And it is a relatively quick procedure so you don't have to worry for too long.  More importantly we got the confirmed positive result that gave us a real diagnosis and we were able to make a very, very sick girl so very happy again :)

Thank you! This is what i need. I need the confirmed positive diagnosis before i throw my family for a loop. I have 4 kids who will have to deal with this as well. Im just anxious now.

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

My youngest had it done at age 6.  I was a nervous wreck - had to send my husband with him.  He actually had a great time.  The staff at Children's was wonderful.  He got to play video games and joke around with the doctors and nurses.  He doesn't remember anything after picking a "flavor" for the gas.  He was up and about within an hour and seemed to have zero side effects once he got home.  

I wish they could have cleaned his teeth, cut his hair, done his nails, and all that other stuff while he was under as he is rarely sitting still.

My older son was actually jealous that he didn't get to have one.

JennyW Newbie

Thank you! This is what i need. I need the confirmed positive diagnosis before i throw my family for a loop. I have 4 kids who will have to deal with this as well. Im just anxious now.

I hear ya.  I have 3 kids and only one with celiac....at the moment that is, since I know it could potentially trigger in the other 2 at any time.  At home, we have all the kids eat gluten free, and at school we just have my celiac one eat gluten free.  It was the easiest way to not have to prepare so many separate meals and then the other kiddos can still eat the standard food at school.

ashleyld Rookie

I hear ya.  I have 3 kids and only one with celiac....at the moment that is, since I know it could potentially trigger in the other 2 at any time.  At home, we have all the kids eat gluten free, and at school we just have my celiac one eat gluten free.  It was the easiest way to not have to prepare so many separate meals and then the other kiddos can still eat the standard food at school.

Do they buy lunch or do you prepare their lunch? I'm worried about cross contamination. (we make our lunches here)

Archived