This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Digestive Enzymes

notme

notme Experienced

i have been meaning to try these, but kept forgetting to pick them up (they don't sell them where i grocery shop) FINALLY remembered to get them.  you take them before every meal.  

they are my best friend.  i thought, well, i'll just give this a test drive.  holy guacamole, they work like a charm.  everything is nice and quiet and niiiiice.  i know my intestines are probably stilll damaged, so i was patient and some things i was eating were not sitting as well as i wanted them to, but this is awesome.  :D

yayyyyy!  and thank you, people on this board.  my doctor never even suggested this.  love y'uns's i just all warm and fuzzy (and not in the bathroom all morning ha HAAAA!)  

I SHALL HAVE SALAD!  AND GRAPES!  AND DIFFERENT COLOR GRAPES!  AND RAW VEGGIES!  THERE'S NO STOPPING ME WHAT I SHALL EAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Great!  Glad to hear it!

Gemini Experienced

Ha, Ha, Ha!!!!!!  I use them also Arlene, for the harder to digest food and they do indeed work like a charm.  A Celiac's best friend..... ;)

I think your food bill is about to go up......

GottaSki Mentor

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Heck ya they work....our poor damaged systems need all the help they can get ;)

LauraTX Rising Star

I was thinking of picking some up now that I have my gallbladder out... for when I reintroduce some foods that I couldn't eat before, especially fatty foods.  I need to look into it as well!

mamaw Community Regular

count  me in on loving  digestive  enzymes & probiotics... Honestly all  celiac  folks  should use these two  items....

gilligan Enthusiast

Please name some brands that are worth purchasing.  I have something from GNC - papaya enzyme?  The sales guy had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for digestive enzymes.  I found the papaya enzymes on the shelf.  Is there something better?  I want to eat salad!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

Ha, Ha, Ha!!!!!!  I use them also Arlene, for the harder to digest food and they do indeed work like a charm.  A Celiac's best friend..... ;)

I think your food bill is about to go up......

i was so shocked!  next time, i'm getting a BIG bottle.  and take some in my snack pack backpack  :D  strap on the feedbag, ima eat it allll !!

eggs = no prob, grapes = no prob, <two of many foods that have had me wondering if i should be giving up more foods.  i am wondering about the soy but it's not a gastro reaction if i eat too much, it's more of joint swelling, headache, etc..  

gilligan:  i just bought the cvs brand - "food intolerance DIGESTIVE AID fast acting enzyme formula!"  it was like 5 bucks for 20 or 24 capsules.  they say 'gluten free' right on the packaging and the capsule itself is made with pure gelatin :)  yay!!  eatin' stuff!!   :lol:

GottaSki Mentor

Our family uses Source Naturals - Digestive Enzymes

Have used their "gluten" formula in the past...but I prefer the cost of their plain digestive enzymes -- my kids blow through quite a few ;)

There are many good ones...sure others will be along to add more.

notme Experienced

right, lisa, i was glad these are not too expensive.  you have to have one for every meal.  on the upside, if everything evens out, i may cut back on the probiotics because i'm still taking 2 per day (1 am-ish, 1 pm-ish) now, those suckers are 'spensive eating 2 a day....

oh, and i totally agree:  probiotics are also da bomb (and not in the explosive D way LOLZ)   :P  

GottaSki Mentor

the boys don't use them for every meal now...but we all did for the first year or two gluten-free

now they use them whenever out and about...which is many meals for young adults

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

this makes me excited!!  I should be starting them later this week if everything works out at my next appointment.  I tried raw carrots for the first time in a long time the other week and ended up with cramping and gas.  I can't tell you the last time I ate a salad, and from the carrot experience I'm not planning on it anytime soon  :lol:  I only eat cooked vegetables mostly blended all up in my soup.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/2904/%C2'> I buy Genuine NZimes Dr. Howell's Extra-Strength from Azure.  It is 4 oz of powder containing Amylose, Protease, Lipase, and cellulose.  No wheat, soy, yeast or dairy products.  I sprinkle 1/4 tsp of it into a small amount of water.  The directions say you can sprinkle it over your food.  I like that there is no capsule.  Several months back sometimes I didn't digest my capsules, so it was an advantage.  When I was the only one using it one canister lasted a couple of months +.

Dee

FruitEnthusiast Enthusiast

I'm so glad to hear this info! I have really been wanting to try them but was not sure if there might be a possible down side, I didn't want to add anything new into the mix that could throw things off. It sounds like the results are all good so no reason not to try them. This makes me very happy :) Thanks for including brand names too.

notme Experienced

ok, test drove these things around the block a couple of times, then kicked it into high gear and mashed the pedal.  so far, all the stuff that was giving me trouble (mostly raw veggies/salads, but a few other things, too) have been digested successfully.  peach salsa, pico de gallo, spinach salad, some cheesesesesesss......  yay!  a whole new world  :D

FruitEnthusiast Enthusiast

Fantastic! Very encouraging :)

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Thanks for posting.  It is encouraging.

Archived