Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Weight Gain After Recovering

2 posts in this topic

Its been nearly 4 years since I went off of gluten.  Last year in January I suddenly put on 15 lbs in about two weeks. That might not seem like much, but I could never put on weight and always looked gaunt and sickly from the time I was a child.  I've been working out, eating well, and haven't been poisoned too often lately, and yet this extra weight still remains a year and a half later, not growing, not shrinking. 

I have a theory that maybe I've healed to the point where finally my body can absorb nutrients and fats again and its adjusted me to a proper healthy weight.  My doctor thinks the stubborn weight gain is from a thyroid issue, but I exhibit no other symptoms of such a thing. 

If anyone has had a similar experience after being off of gluten for a few years I'd love to hear about it! 

Ads by Google:

I lost 90 lbs. before DX. I was thin, gaunt, weak and lost major muscle mass. It was not good at all. 

I did not gain a lb after DX . until 15 mos. later.

Then, I gained a bunch. Then,  a bunch more. I was glad to be able to hold food in and to enjoy eating again.

i never saw it coming. It's not my thyroid. It's my body saying "yaaay! i am absorbing food again! and I am not starving"

I just saw a presentation by Anne Lee, RD at the gluten-free Living Conference in Florida last weekend.

She noted a study from the Uk that says "a celiac may gain an average of 22+ lbs. during the first few years after DX"

Apparently, I am "above average" as I gained more than that.  :D (but I also have a friend with a gluten-free bakery and she made it her mission to "feed me".)

When I told this interesting study factoid  to my celiac friends, I got this in reply;

"that's weird, I gained exactly 22 lbs"

I got that message 3 times. Not kidding 

then, I  got a few saying....I am "above average too"! lol

Enjoy feeling healthy, keep active and do not worry about the weight gain, hon.  IMHO