8 replies to this topic

#1 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

Any suggestions for a family? We'll be there for 2 days. Please suggest any places that are good for a celiac to eat at. Thanks a bunch. Really need the help! :) We have 2 kids. Not pizza please.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gilligan

gilligan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

I didn't have much luck in SF other than two places.  One is the Mariposa Bakery located in the Ferry Bldg.  It's in the Embarcadero District on the bay.  The entire bakery is gluten free.  The other place is called Pier 21 - it's also on the bay.  Not a great location for kids, but they do have burger and fries, so maybe you could order to go.  It's more of a sports bar.  I was very discouraged, but my husband walked in there, told them what we were looking for, and walked out with the manager who wanted to meet me. She has been eating gluten free for years.  That place was a life saver for me.  Several places along the bay actually told me that I should move out of line because they didn't have anything for me.  I was dumbfounded and disappointed.  Good luck, and if you find something, please post it as I'm in SF a few times per year.   

#3 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,643 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

Mariposa has 2 locations - Ferry Bldg & the edge of Berkley.  You can get bakery stuff & sandwiches.  We had good luck with IN & Out burgers.  There are all the usual chains.  

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#4 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

If you want to visit Pacifica (lovely coastal town about 12 miles south of SF), The Surf Spot is an excellent place for gluten free dining.  They are closed on Mondays.  I know you specified no pizza, but they do make an awesome gluten-free pizza in addition to other lovely foods and desserts, and gluten free rolls made in-house.  There is an outdoor area in the back of the restaurant, with a volleyball court and a grass area where kids can run and play, if you don't want to sit indoors.

In Half Moon Bay you can eat at Fish and Frites, on Main Street.  I was so excited to be able to have real fish and chips, all gluten free.  They use a rice based batter for the gluten-free version, and a dedicated fryer.  You have a choice of fish, fresh from the fishing boats at Pillar Point Harbor. (and it's two shops away from a really cute toy store...)

I don't eat in SF very often, but San Francisco is a very gluten free friendly city.  Many restaurants have gluten-free menus and vegetarian, vegan, etc options as well.  As long as you aren't craving clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl, you should have little trouble finding places to eat.  

The Find Me Gluten Free app is a good resource for safe restaurants.  

I hope your trip is great and healthy!

Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

#5 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

Also, I second the Mariposa Bakery.  Their gluten-free cinnamon rolls are eye-rolling, stop what you are doing and enjoy them, tasty.  

Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

#6 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

I'll third Mariposa Bakery....my kids love their chocoloate pumpkin muffins and just about everything else we have had from there.

The Bay Area is awesome for gluten-free dining -- try checking the find me gluten free website or app -- should find lots of options where sillyaks have left safe/not safe details.

Have a great trip :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#7 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:16 AM

We went to Fog Harbor, The Daily Grill and Sausalito's Crab House and Prime Rib. I was able to find something gluten-free at each one. I do suggest these restaurants. The best was Nordstrom Cafe. The best service and they really cared. I hope this helps someone else on their gluten-free journey in SF. Also the Mariposa Bakery was good for bread and rolls. Yumm. :)

#8 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

We went to Fog Harbor, The Daily Grill and Sausalito's Crab House and Prime Rib. I was able to find something gluten-free at each one. I do suggest these restaurants. The best was Nordstrom Cafe. The best service and they really cared. I hope this helps someone else on their gluten-free journey in SF. Also the Mariposa Bakery was good for bread and rolls. Yumm. :)

Good to hear you had a great, safe trip :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#9 grantschoep

grantschoep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

Its a bit spendy, more of a date place than a family placce. But the Stinking Rose has always been my stop when I visit SF. (I used to live there before I "knew" I had to be gluten-free)

And if you like Garlic, this place is great.

"If I start fighting a war... I guarantee you'll see something new" - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: