23 replies to this topic

#1 CR5442

CR5442

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

I know it sounds nutty but I've been feeling off and bloated, puffy, poorly tummy and generally just not me over the last couple of months.  The only change i have made is eating starch in the form of potato crisps, some corn/rice pasta, plain white rice even though my acupuncturist says I can tolerate all of those.  The only thing I can think of is something to do with the starch.

Does anyone else have this... or a similar reaction?  I have been starch free for the last 24 hours and even though I am starving hungry I feel much less puffy and toxic.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:58 AM

There are plenty of intolerances that any of us can have that have nothing to do with gluten. It is entirely possible that you can't tolerate potatoes, or corn, or rice, or nightshades, or grains. It may be a challenge to figure out which it is but it sounds like it's one of those for sure. (Also unrelated, but unless your acupuncturist is also a dietitian or nutritionist they aren't likely the best source of dietary advice regarding celiac and acceptable foods.)

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

There are plenty of intolerances that any of us can have that have nothing to do with gluten. It is entirely possible that you can't tolerate potatoes, or corn, or rice, or nightshades, or grains. It may be a challenge to figure out which it is but it sounds like it's one of those for sure. (Also unrelated, but unless your acupuncturist is also a dietitian or nutritionist they aren't likely the best source of dietary advice regarding celiac and acceptable foods.)

I get what your saying ,but she does pulse tests on me which tell her whether or not I can tolerate foods... she has been spot on with everything else. It might be SIBO or a virus perhaps that's feeding off the starch?

#4 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

I noticed trouble (for me) with corn starch before I realized my celiac trouble.  I think it may be hard to digest.  I also have discovered that I don't tolerate potatoes and several other starchy foods.  These intolerances are not celiac, but for me it goes along with leaky gut.  Have you considered if you might have a yeast infection?  Yeast feed on such foods, so it might be worth considering.  I am hoping I may get these starchy foods back as my digestion improves.

Starch bloats me.

Dee

#5 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

Yes, the yeast thing we check for regularly.  It's not showing at the moment but has done in the past. I think it may just be that too much starch my body cannot cope with digesting.  Am looking in to the SIBO possibility.

#6 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

I agree. The best way most of us here have determined what foods work for us or do not work is to eliminate the food to see if we feel better. You might want to try each food you suspect to be the culprit on different days and see how you feel. It can be challenging to figure it out, but it's really worth it when you start to feel better.

I have found the information I learn from others on this site, many times, to be the most helpful to my recovery process. There is so much experience and knowledge here because so many have been through the same things and come out the other side. After the doctors or other health care professionals have have done what they can do with testing, the people on this site have been an invaluable resource for me to fine tune my individual food issues unique to my own body.

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

Are you referring to starch in general or Codex Wheat Starch?  Codex is considered safe but many, many of us react to it. I wouldn't touch it with someone else's hand.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#8 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:03 PM

No, starch in foods.  I've been off most starch except 1 Banana now for nearly three days and feel very hungry but much much better, much less achey and toxic feeling.  I've been eating potatoes, rice, rice and corn pasta... all gluten free.  I'm not intolerant to any of these (the IgG test even didn't show them up), so the only thing I can think of is something to do with the starch.  Could it be Mast Cell activation?  How would that happen?

#9 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:20 AM

perhaps you need a digestive enzyme aimed at starch?

#10 Ave

Ave

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

My wife has Celiac and it looks like also has a corn allergy. Reading up on it, it seems that celiac and corn allergy is pretty common.  You might try some time cutting out corn (Warning: It's really really hard to do... glucose, dextrose, corn starch, corn syrup...) 

If you can manage to eliminate Corn for a few weeks, and you're still having this problem... at least you know it's not corn!  :wacko:

#11 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

Glucose and dextrose are highly refined sugars and will not contain any protein. They will not trigger an allergic reaction.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

I get what your saying ,but she does pulse tests on me which tell her whether or not I can tolerate foods... 

There does not seem to be any evidence this is a valid allergy test,  hon. I cannot find any Pub Med articles that say it's legit.

http://www.foodaller...ment.doc?id=238

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#13 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:11 AM

No I agree Irish Heart but at the same time I have had formal IgG tests which came back negative with things I know make me really sick like chocolate, GLUTEN, Eggs, soya, fish, dairy etc etc.  The pulse tests did diagnose these, though the IgG test didn't, so I kind of trust the pulse better.  Interestingly the dairy did not show up on the pulse test first time because I hadn't eaten any for months, then showed up when I had eaten it for a few months.  And the IgG test came up positive for that because I was eating it at the time.  So even if there are no papers (which I'm sure there are if you look at different terms rather than pulse) it 100% does work for me.

#14 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:31 AM

http://www.pharmacol...e/histamine.htm

If you scroll down to Organ system effects you'll see that with histamine release the entire cardiovascular system is affected, including blood pressure.  Here and article stipulates that IgG can also have an anaphylaxis type response.  http://www.usbiotek....ticalReview.pdf  I'm sure that many of us have eaten some foods then found it difficult to breathe, had asthma type symptoms, then poorly tummy, I know I have!  I don't think it is as simple as saying that a pulse test is ineffective and unproven, when you look at the whole body changes for both IgE and IgG reactions - particularly bad ones such as the reactions a lot of us may be experiencing.

BTW, the pulse test is not as simple as detecting a raise in pulse (which is common when we eat food), it is more complex.  Often when I'm tested for a food my pulse will slow down or even completely disappear - such as happened when my daughter just held a food that she extremely allergic to (she was in A&E with the last oral ingestion reaction) up against her cheek in a plastic bag!  The tests had to be stopped for 10 minutes because her pulse just disappeared.

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

No I agree Irish Heart but at the same time I have had formal IgG tests which came back negative with things I know make me really sick like chocolate, GLUTEN, Eggs, soya, fish, dairy etc etc. 

That's because IgG test for food intolerances are also invalid,. hon.

"There is no credible evidence that measuring IgG antibodies is useful for diagnosing food allergy or intolerance, nor that IgG antibodies cause symptoms. In fact, IgG antibodies reflect exposure to allergen but not the presence of disease. The exception is that gliadin IgG antibodies are sometimes useful in monitoring adherence to a gluten-free diet patients with histologically confirmed coeliac disease. Otherwise, inappropriate use of food allergy testing  (or misinterpretation of results) in patients with inhalant allergy, for example, may lead to inappropriate and unnecessary dietary restrictions, with particular nutritional implications in children. Despite studies showing the uselessness of this technique, it continues to be promoted in the community, even for diagnosing disorders for which no evidence of immune system involvement exists."

Maybe you should read through the science of testing:

http://www.scienceba...he-science-say/

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: