#1 Lovelivedance

Lovelivedance

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

Hi,
I have recently been having stomachaches after eating almost everything. I was wondering what was wrong so I went to the doctor today. I gave my doctor a food diary and she seemed to think it may be dairy and she said possibly Celiac but probably not because I had no symptoms after eating plain white rice. According to her white rice has gluten and that Is not true,right. Anyways so she ordered an x ray for me to check for constipation. I thought this was crazy because I have never had trouble "going". Surprisingly the x-Ray showed that there was a little backup. I know that constipation can also be a symptom of celiac so that also leads me to think its celiac. Anyways the doctor also ordered blood tests for celiac among many other things and I was told to stay off dairy until I get my test results. I think my issues with dairy may have to do with the damage celiac has done to my intestines. Anyways I'm jut looking for what you guys think of all this.
Thanks,
Stephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

Hey Stephanie,

Your doctor is a bit confused about 'glutinous rice.' The name of the rice is misleading. It is just meant to be defined with the glutinous reference to being sticky. Rice absolutely doesn't have the gluten that Celiac's react to. Wheat, barley rye and oats are what trigger Celiac symptoms. Yes, you are right about lactose intolerance and constipation as possible symptoms of Celiac. Hopefully your doctor ordered the appropriate tests for screening for Celiac. Request all the results so you can share with us (only if you want to) to see if it was indeed a proper and thorough screening.

Until you get your test results back I would wait to cut gluten from your diet. It is much harder to eat it after you've been gluten free if you are in fact intolerant or Celiac. Many don't do well on the gluten challenge and many doctors need you to eat gluten for quite some time before biopsy or serology.

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

• Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13
  • Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October
  • Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac
  • HLA-DQ2 positive
  • Vitamin D insufficiency 12-6-13 (had it prior no doubt, just wasn't checked until December)
  • Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14
  • Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 
  • Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Supplements: Fish Oil, Digestive enzymes, probiotics, biotin, multivitamin, joint supplement, psyllium husk

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Lovelivedance

Lovelivedance

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

Okay,thank you I will definatley post the results. I remember being tested for celiac a few years ago and it being negative so I'm leaning more torwards being intolerant than having celiac.

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:32 AM

The dr may have been checking for diverticulitis with the x-ray, or some other kind of damage to the gut that would explain the symptoms.  Celiac disease can start at any time in life, so a test from 2 years ago dosen't prove anything except what was happening 2 years ago.  Today could be very different.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 Patti J

Patti J

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

Hi,
I have recently been having stomachaches after eating almost everything. I was wondering what was wrong so I went to the doctor today. I gave my doctor a food diary and she seemed to think it may be dairy and she said possibly Celiac but probably not because I had no symptoms after eating plain white rice. According to her white rice has gluten and that Is not true,right. Anyways so she ordered an x ray for me to check for constipation. I thought this was crazy because I have never had trouble "going". Surprisingly the x-Ray showed that there was a little backup. I know that constipation can also be a symptom of celiac so that also leads me to think its celiac. Anyways the doctor also ordered blood tests for celiac among many other things and I was told to stay off dairy until I get my test results. I think my issues with dairy may have to do with the damage celiac has done to my intestines. Anyways I'm jut looking for what you guys think of all this.
Thanks,
Stephanie

Please keep close look on this. I had the same thing happen 2 years ago and I had a partial blockage/ twisted intestines. They tested me for Celiac back then also and I was told I did not have it. My new doctor yesterday, a brilliant man, showed me the error in  2 doctors findings..one of them being Mayo Clinic.  

#6 Fenrir

Fenrir

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

Could be Celiac or it could be any number of other issues that have similar symptoms. When the tests come back you should have a little more to go on.

Abdominal Pain/GI symptoms started= ~01/02/2014

Gallbladder out= 02/20/14

tTG IgA Postive= 03/21/14

DX via Biopsy (Marsh 3b)= 04/21/14

#7 Lovelivedance

Lovelivedance

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

Sorry that I forgot about this forum but I wanted to let you know that everything came back negative and they found nothin wrong they just told me to stay off dairy and they never did anything else but my symptoms still aren't gone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: