#1 GlutenStinks15

GlutenStinks15

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

Hello All,

I will be traveling to Philadelphia, PA in June for three days. I will be staying in Glouchester, NJ (ten min away from downtown Philly.)

Do any of you live there, or have you traveled there? I have the findmeglutenfree app for my phone, but I also like to get recommendations from the 'natives' whenever possible. 

I did search the group and found a post from 2013, but it wasn't too helpful. 

Thanks in advance!

Celiac disease April 2013 -- so glad I got answers and can heal now.

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

Hi I live  in Western Pa but  travel  to Philly  often.... Gluten Free Philly (mike)  has  a great  listing of  places  to  eat.....Do  go to South Philly  to Taffet's  Bakery.... Omar  has  the  best  breads.....there  is  a  restaurant  a crossed  or  up the  street  from him  who uses  his  bread s  ... very good,  I also  get  a  roll from him  & go have  a philly cheesesteak  while  there..... Pasta  Pomadoro  in Voorhees, NJ  is  excellent. Worth  the trip....a favorite  of many....

Also  in  that   area  is  Sweet Notes  Bagels... google them &  they sell  to many  places out  there so  you can fing  a  café  who  has  them for  breakfast....

Jules  gluten-free  pizza  has  several pizza  shops around....

Plus  of  course  all the  chains  are  available  too.... WE love  Maggiano's ( sp?) having  a  brain  fog  day, sorry) call  ahead  for  reservations  as it gets  crazy   & also  if  you give  them a  day or two notice  they will  make  gluten-free pasta  if  they know you are  coming....There menu is on  their  website.....

also  I like  to  just  google  gluten-free in Philly & it brings  up tons  of  places  the  gluten-free  apps  don't....

there  is  a good  Brazilian  place  to in  Sunnyhill...forget  the name....

#3 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

download the Gluten Free Philly app!!  It's available for Iphone and Android.  I live in Delaware and follow the Gluten Free Philly blog, and he posted a Living Social deal on Facebook for Pasta Pomodoro.  I've never been, but I just bought it based on mamaw's recommendation.  Here's the link if you're interested: https://www.livingso...&rpi=157935109 

Hope this helps!

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#4 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

Mike  of  gluten free Philly has  great  insight  on Philly &  NJ....plus  he's  a great  guy.....& so is  his family.....

#5 GlutenStinks15

GlutenStinks15

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

Great, thanks so much! I will be sure to do all the research now that I have a better starting point!

Much appreciated. 

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

#6 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:39 AM

Hey GlutenStinks..I'll be going to Phili in Jun as well. A place called Uncle oogies looks good! There are 3 locations. Taffetts bakery seems good to n they provide breads, rolls, crust to other gluten-free establishments.  I'd love for my kids to have a Phili cheesesteak on a gluten-free roll. 

I m going the beginning of Jun and if I remember I'll post here to discuss the delicious findings. : )

#7 GlutenStinks15

GlutenStinks15

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

Hey GlutenStinks..I'll be going to Phili in Jun as well. A place called Uncle oogies looks good! There are 3 locations. Taffetts bakery seems good to n they provide breads, rolls, crust to other gluten-free establishments.  I'd love for my kids to have a Phili cheesesteak on a gluten-free roll. 

I m going the beginning of Jun and if I remember I'll post here to discuss the delicious findings. : )

Thanks! Please let me know :)

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

#8 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

Well my visit was Phili was short lived n extremely hectic. We only managed to go to 1 pizza joint  and 1 bakery, SWEET FREEDOM. The goodies there are absolutely fabulous especially the chocolate chip cookie sandwich filled with cream n dipped iin chocolate OMG!! so-o-o-o good!!!!! but very expensive like $4.50. The Pizza place we went to is called 

Bianca Pizza and Trattoria, 

and the gluten-free pizza was excellent!! It was the size of a small pizza about 10" and cost $9.50 for cheese or $10.50 for pepperoni, which is in line pricewise with regular pizza. My kids loved it and ate a whole 1 each! Now be forewarned--I am not sure if any cross contamination occured or can occur. I do not worry too much about CC as my kids are not sensitive. We do avoid CC of course but if something is CC we dont get too concerned either, but again we try to avoid as best as we can. So anybody considering trying this place out, please call and get the details on the prep. 

I wished my trip lasted another day, so we could try other gluten-free places. Anyway we enjoyed these 2 places. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: