This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going To The Fair

jrom987

jrom987 Apprentice

Hello!

I know you all are so knowledgeable so please send some advice my way. I am going to the state fair with my non Celiac husband and I wanted to know if there are any safe foods at a place like that? My husband doesn't think he will have fun if I can't eat like he does. I told him I did not mind packing some snacks for myself but I thought maybe I could get something. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Jo Ann

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Your best bet would be to pack something along. I don't know of many things at fairs that would be safe.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hello!

I know you all are so knowledgeable so please send some advice my way. I am going to the state fair with my non Celiac husband and I wanted to know if there are any safe foods at a place like that? My husband doesn't think he will have fun if I can't eat like he does. I told him I did not  mind packing some snacks for myself but I thought maybe I could get something. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Jo Ann

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with the other poster, Bring food with you, you may find some name brand hot dogs or some sealed chips or drinks but other than cotton candy it may be lean. The cotton candy is fun though, it should be just spun sugar might want to ask to be sure.

jknnej Collaborator

I would NOT eat at the fair, either.

Where do you live? We have our state fair here now in Phoenix.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I personally would bring my own food to a fair. Fresh plain veggies and fruits would be safe though.

jrom987 Apprentice

Same fair! :D I live in Mesa.

Thanks for all your advice!

Jo Ann

laurelfla Enthusiast

i just went to our county fair a couple of weeks ago. :D it was so much fun!

i didn't cry over not being able to eat a funnel cake, like i'd thought i might... but i sure do wish i'd been able to try a fried twinkie. they also had fried oreos. i'd never heard of either. they should probably call them "Cholesterol: $3", but they sure smelled good!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dogear Rookie

This is the Arizona State Fair? :blink:

Even for a celiac, I wouldn't consider gluten even the main reason for not eating at that place :blink:

Having grown up in Arizona, I remember histories of Hepatitis outbreaks, people finding hair in their food, shriveled bits of moldly old hotdog at the bottom of their drinks, a remarkably high frequency of people throwing up all over the bathrooms, and really dirty looking food shacks, at that fair.

It's disgusting!!!!!

Now I've done my share of traveling and despite a sulfite allergy eaten in some pretty strange places. But all the same:

I wouldn't eat at the Arizona State Fair if the whole darn world was as gluten free as the Inca Empire.

skbird Contributor

It's really hard to eat at the fair. At my fair there is one booth that sells salad, but that is highly unusual, and the dressing would be suspect, also the possibility of having croutons in the salad or deli meats with wheat. And who goes to the fair to eat salad, anyway?

It is hard, because I want to eat all the stuff that everyone else eats when I go places like that. But it's just not Celiac-friendly.

Enjoy the rides - if you don't eat, maybe you won't feel sick on them! That was my rationale... (uh, didn't work though... I must be getting old).

Stephanie

dogear Rookie

I don't see the fair as a place to eat, so much as go on rides and look at things.

Think of it this way. Fair food stinks! And it tends to be so unhygenic that probably no-one should eat there! (Same for most movie food save the candy bars.)

You probably didn't like the food at the fair anyway before diagnosis. If this fair is like most, (which I know is the case in Arizona), the food is just gross and derives all its flavor from MSG. Even things like cotton candy are so sticky that given the lines in the restrooms, it isn't worth it to eat them, because the mess is more trouble than it is worth!

• 10 years later...
Celiac C. Newbie
On 10/29/2005 at 2:53 PM, jrom987 said:

Hello!

I know you all are so knowledgeable so please send some advice my way. I am going to the state fair with my non Celiac husband and I wanted to know if there are any safe foods at a place like that? My husband doesn't think he will have fun if I can't eat like he does. I told him I did not mind packing some snacks for myself but I thought maybe I could get something. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Jo Ann

Hi!  I've had good luck at the Minnesota state fair because most food booths are only doing one thing so there is no cross-contamination. For example: french fries or chocolate covered bacon or Indian kebabs.  

But I live in California and I am heading to the state fair today! Does anybody have any great food suggestions that are definitely gluten-free there?

Thanks,

Celiac C.

cap6 Enthusiast

I never ate at the fair but always "rewarded" myself with a nice glass of wine at the wine and beer patio!   The corn on the cob might be ok but I have to agree with the poster who mentioned that stuff at the fair probably isn't terribly clean.  Stuff your purse with snacks and enjoy.  My partner would feel bad about eating in front of my and I would just - I don't feel bad so that's your problem, not mine! lol 

Archived