#1 HavaneseMom

HavaneseMom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this question is in the right section of this forum - sorry if it's not :).

It's finally grilling season where I live and I am wondering what is the best way to remove any trace amounts of gluten from a grill? My husband is mostly vegetarian, so he grilled a lot of Boca/Vegetarian gluten filled burgers on our grill last year before my diagnosis. I was lucky enough to get all new cookware/kitchen goods when I went gluten free, so I haven't had to worry about things like this until now.

We have one of the Infrared type grills, with narrow rows of grates that look like they could trap gluten. If I can really get the grill grates 100% clean of residual gluten, I can make sure it will be gluten free from now on. I was thinking I could also see about ordering brand new grates instead. What would you all suggest?

Thanks!

Grateful to be correctly diagnosed at 40. Likely misdiagnosed since childhood.
Blood test and Biopsies positive for Celiac Disease.
Gluten Free Since 10/9/13.

Dear whatever doesn't kill me,
I'm strong enough now.
Thanks.               (somecards)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,643 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

Can you put them in the oven and run the self clean cycle?  We just get new grill parts every year or so anyway.  Not sure if that would work for the type you have.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#3 HavaneseMom

HavaneseMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Hi kareng,

I think I will probably just bite the bullet and buy new grates. I'm sure there is a way to get them clean, but will they ever be clean enough in my mind, if you know what I mean :). I will just have to make sure my husband only grills meats and veggies on the new grates.

I'm strong enough now.

#4 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

I think I will probably just bite the bullet and buy new grates.

Better than white knuckling it, I'd say!! :D
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

#5 ezgoindude

ezgoindude

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

Hello everyone!

I would still technically be undiagnosed, but this question did pop up in my head this week too.

At my work we have a full kitchen, and the chef has been really understanding of what I've been goin through.  A couple days ago he slapped on a steak with just salt and pepper for me to eat, and a couple hours later I had the gnawing kinda heartburn feeling down in my guts.   Within a couple days (and bathroom breaks)  that has since dissipated.

So even with no dressings of any kind, a plain piece of meat can cause that kind of reaction because of the grill its on?!?!?!

Wow,  this is way harder than expected, ugh!  Yea I've practically been stuck to cooking at home, which I am no chef, so it has been a slow learning curve in terms of flavorings for meat.....

Summer 2010 - Loose stools, insomnia, doc blames IBS, continues for years

Sept 2013 - extremely ill like flu, inflamed eyes, loosing weight

Feb 2014 - fecal calprotectin 151, colonoscopy/endoscopy clear, duodenum looked flat,

complete celiac blood panel negative

May 2014 - HLA DQ2A1*05:01/05:05 POSITIVE, one copy

HLA DQ2B1*02:01/02:02 POSITIVE, two copies

June 2014 - undiagnosed, much improvement on paleo diet, gluten/dairy/soy intolerant.

#6 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

So even with no dressings of any kind, a plain piece of meat can cause that kind of reaction because of the grill its on?!?!?!

yep.  if they're toasting bread or sandwiches, or even cooking somebody else's food that has glutenous sauce or marinade  :(

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 HavaneseMom

HavaneseMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Hello everyone!

I would still technically be undiagnosed, but this question did pop up in my head this week too.

At my work we have a full kitchen, and the chef has been really understanding of what I've been goin through.  A couple days ago he slapped on a steak with just salt and pepper for me to eat, and a couple hours later I had the gnawing kinda heartburn feeling down in my guts.   Within a couple days (and bathroom breaks)  that has since dissipated.

Wow,  this is way harder than expected, ugh!  Yea I've practically been stuck to cooking at home, which I am no chef, so it has been a slow learning curve in terms of flavorings for meat.....

It is way harder than it seems to be gluten free. Once you get past all of the obvious things, there are all of the cross-contamination issues to watch out for. It's great that the chef at work is willing to try to help you. If they use a flat surface type grill at work, it might help to put down some heavy duty aluminum foil before putting your meat on the grill. He could just turn up the edges of the foil a bit and also make sure it doesn't tear. I think I read that someone else here has their own designated pan at work that the chef uses. That gnawing heartburn feeling you described was one of my symptoms and drove me nuts! I hope you feel better soon.

I'm strong enough now.

#8 NatureChick

NatureChick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

I agree that I would worry with any solution other than replacing the grates entirely. And goodness knows we don't need a nocebo effect making us think we got glutened if we haven't.

#9 MermaidPaz

MermaidPaz

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:40 AM

I have had very violent reaction symptoms from chicken grilled on a contaminated grill in the past.  After my first cross contamination from a grill, the grill grate at my home was soaked in a tub with very hot soapy water and scrubbed well.  It does take some elbow grease but we didn't have the money to replace the grates.  I haven't had any reactions from it since then.

Hashimoto's disease, Fibromyalgia, IC, lifelong migraines, and chronic vomiting...all improved when completely wheat and food irritant free.  Reversing 7 years of illness is a tough and slow road.  I'm so grateful for the advice and support here, something so basic that's hard to find in a doctor's office.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: