Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

How To De-Gluten A Grill?

9 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this question is in the right section of this forum - sorry if it's not :).

It's finally grilling season where I live and I am wondering what is the best way to remove any trace amounts of gluten from a grill? My husband is mostly vegetarian, so he grilled a lot of Boca/Vegetarian gluten filled burgers on our grill last year before my diagnosis. I was lucky enough to get all new cookware/kitchen goods when I went gluten free, so I haven't had to worry about things like this until now.

We have one of the Infrared type grills, with narrow rows of grates that look like they could trap gluten. If I can really get the grill grates 100% clean of residual gluten, I can make sure it will be gluten free from now on. I was thinking I could also see about ordering brand new grates instead. What would you all suggest?

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

Can you put them in the oven and run the self clean cycle?  We just get new grill parts every year or so anyway.  Not sure if that would work for the type you have.

Hi kareng,

I think I will probably just bite the bullet and buy new grates. I'm sure there is a way to get them clean, but will they ever be clean enough in my mind, if you know what I mean :). I will just have to make sure my husband only grills meats and veggies on the new grates.

I think I will probably just bite the bullet and buy new grates.

Better than white knuckling it, I'd say!! :D

Hello everyone!

I would still technically be undiagnosed, but this question did pop up in my head this week too.

At my work we have a full kitchen, and the chef has been really understanding of what I've been goin through.  A couple days ago he slapped on a steak with just salt and pepper for me to eat, and a couple hours later I had the gnawing kinda heartburn feeling down in my guts.   Within a couple days (and bathroom breaks)  that has since dissipated.

So even with no dressings of any kind, a plain piece of meat can cause that kind of reaction because of the grill its on?!?!?!

Wow,  this is way harder than expected, ugh!  Yea I've practically been stuck to cooking at home, which I am no chef, so it has been a slow learning curve in terms of flavorings for meat.....

So even with no dressings of any kind, a plain piece of meat can cause that kind of reaction because of the grill its on?!?!?!

yep.  if they're toasting bread or sandwiches, or even cooking somebody else's food that has glutenous sauce or marinade  :(

Hello everyone!

I would still technically be undiagnosed, but this question did pop up in my head this week too.

At my work we have a full kitchen, and the chef has been really understanding of what I've been goin through.  A couple days ago he slapped on a steak with just salt and pepper for me to eat, and a couple hours later I had the gnawing kinda heartburn feeling down in my guts.   Within a couple days (and bathroom breaks)  that has since dissipated.

Wow,  this is way harder than expected, ugh!  Yea I've practically been stuck to cooking at home, which I am no chef, so it has been a slow learning curve in terms of flavorings for meat.....

It is way harder than it seems to be gluten free. Once you get past all of the obvious things, there are all of the cross-contamination issues to watch out for. It's great that the chef at work is willing to try to help you. If they use a flat surface type grill at work, it might help to put down some heavy duty aluminum foil before putting your meat on the grill. He could just turn up the edges of the foil a bit and also make sure it doesn't tear. I think I read that someone else here has their own designated pan at work that the chef uses. That gnawing heartburn feeling you described was one of my symptoms and drove me nuts! I hope you feel better soon.

I agree that I would worry with any solution other than replacing the grates entirely. And goodness knows we don't need a nocebo effect making us think we got glutened if we haven't.

I have had very violent reaction symptoms from chicken grilled on a contaminated grill in the past.  After my first cross contamination from a grill, the grill grate at my home was soaked in a tub with very hot soapy water and scrubbed well.  It does take some elbow grease but we didn't have the money to replace the grates.  I haven't had any reactions from it since then.