This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kudos To Costco

TGK112

TGK112 Contributor

Just went shopping at Costco, and they have really expanded their gluten free offerings

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Our Costco doesn't have those items!!!!!  lucky you....

cyclinglady Grand Master

Mine either!

TGK112 Contributor

I shop at the Costco in Issaquah, WA, where Costco also has its headquarters. So maybe they are trying it out here. I'll do my best to let them know that they should keep it coming!

mamaw Community Regular

PLEASE do.....

Adalaide Mentor

My Costco doesn't have all of those items. But what they do have is the pizza (which by the way is delicious!), two brands of gluten-free bread (not frozen) and one of those brands they have in two types, pasta, an all purpose flour and various other baking products like coconut flour, flax and chia seed and other such things. They also have a very amazing selection of everyday products that just happen to be gluten free, including a bunch of snack foods like Trio bars and Lara bars. My $55 a year for membership is something I will gladly continue to pay!

mommida Enthusiast

Can you give more details about the pizza?  Brand?  Bakery or frozen section?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

The brand of the pizza is Sabatasso. It is the first frozen pizza I have ever had in my life that has enough cheese on it to satisfy me, which is saying something because I'm an extra cheese kind of girl. It also gets a beautiful crispy crust with a good texture when cooked according to the directions. I usually add some toppings to it, but it is also fine exactly as is. I've copy pasted an ingredient list from another website here, not sure if it is 100% accurate but from my memory it looks like what I recall. I never get caught without a pack of these in my freezer, they come 2 in a pack for $11.something, which is a great price for such a great pizza.

cheese blend (low moisture part skim mozzarella cheese [pasteurized part skim milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes], fontina cheese (pasteurized part skim milk, cultures, salt, enzymes), parmesan cheese [cultured pasteurized part skim milk, salt, enzymes], asiago cheese {pasteurized milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes}), sauce (crushed tomatoes [water, concentrated crushed tomatoes], tomato puree[water tomato paste], sugar, salt, spices, soybean oil, citric acid, dehydrated onions, garlic, romano cheese flavor [romano cheese(milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes),water, disodium phosphate, enzymes], onion powder, spice extractive), whey, tapioca starch, rice flour, rice starch, contains 2% or less of: yeast, vegetable oil (soybean, cottonseed, corn and/or canola oil), vegetable shortening (palm oil, natural flavor, soy lecithin), sugar, salt, xanthan gum, garlic powder. Open Original Shared Link

mommida Enthusiast

Thank you!

I usually skip that area without even looking.  Now I will check.

africanqueen99 Contributor

My kids are the ones with Celiac in this house - both DX in 2013.  Anyway, we used to go to Costco all the time to get hot dogs and then eat up all the free samples.  It was a good way to waste a weekend day.  Last month we went and every free sample was gluten-free.  Every. Single. One. !!

As we were leaving my oldest said "It's like they knew we were coming and wanted to let us try it all!"  *melt my heart*  They were just thrilled.

FWIW, those huge bags of Pirate's Booty are the best price ever.  My kids could polish off a bag in one weekend, if given the opportunity. 

Oh, my Costco had a ton of 5# bags of Namaste flour for an amazing price.  When I realized they were being discontinued I bought out the rest of their stock - 16 bags!

• 3 weeks later...
TGK112 Contributor

And - they did it again! This weekend we discovered a new gem at Costco--- fresh Linguini (RP's Pasta Company Gluten Free Linguini). I have never tasted gluten free pasta as good as this one. And it was easy to make  -- and best yet - it didn't all stick together.

I'm going to pass along this thread to Costco - and hopefully some of these products will head your way!

mamaw Community Regular

Can  someone  send  all those  great  gluten-free  products  to  the Pittsburgh Pa Costco  stores!!!  thanks....RP'S Pasta  is  the  best.....

kareng Grand Master

Can  someone  send  all those  great  gluten-free  products  to  the Pittsburgh Pa Costco  stores!!!  thanks....RP'S Pasta  is  the  best.....

And the Costco in Overland Park, Kansas?  That is the one closest to me.

TGK112 Contributor

So - I decided to write to Costco - and let them know how appreciated their gluten free products are - and to encourage them to read this post and start carrying more of these products across country. I received back what seems to be a "form letter" :(

Dear Tina,

We appreciate you taking the time to email Costco Wholesale.

Thank you for sharing your experience with this item. We work hard to ensure that we are selling the best products available at the lowest prices possible. It’s always a pleasure to hear when a member is happy with our choices!

We appreciate your feedback and have forwarded your email along with your suggestions to the buyers so they are aware of your satisfaction.  

Thank you,

Elizabeth R 
Member Service Center
Costco Wholesale Corporation

--Original Message--

To: Open Original Shared Link
Subject: Other

Note this message was submitted through the Open Original Shared Link web site customer suggestion page on Mon May 12 2014 20:19:10 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

As a person with Celiac Disease - I want to let you know how much I appreciate your recent increase in a variety of gluten free products. I shop at the Issaquah store, and every week there seems to be more and more items. I belong to a "celiac forum" which has thousands of members - and recently made a post commending Costco. You may like to see it
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/107263-kudos-to-costco/
This posting has had about 600 views to date. Unfortunately for others, their Costco's do not seem to carry these products.
Please - keep it coming!!

• 4 weeks later...
MsQuel Newbie

Ours also has a gluten-free chicken nugget (yum yum yum) that is in a 3 lb frozen bag.   I am told that this is a close out but the reason is unclear WHY (could be on the grounds that it's being discontinued or could be something else like packaging change or configuration change).

One of the things I MISS MOST is the ability to drive through a fast food restaurant and grab and go.   And my favorite thing ever was deep fried McD's nuggets with BBQ sauce (I would not be able to have one bite of this now or ever after).  So get to Costco NOW and pick this up if you have it (and i do not recall the brand).

Adalaide Mentor

I saw the fresh linguine last month while I was shopping. It was just a bit out of my price range at the time, but I was still excited to see it. Somehow though I ended up with a HUGE box of Glutino oreos that were gone in a week. :ph34r: Going to pass on those in the future, I like fitting into my pants. :P I love that they have so many offerings, and even more I love that almost every time I go they have enough gluten free samples that I get a free meal out of it. I always show up hungry when I go shopping at Costco.

• 1 month later...
maximoo Enthusiast

Kids n I just tried Sabatasso gluten-free pizza. PRETTY DAMN GOOD!  Vey cheesy. And the price is reasonable. About the size of a regular small pizza, and it costs $12 for a 2pk. Just sent my son to buy a few boxes!! 

FRESHETTA also has decent gluten-free pizza but it costs $15 for 2 that you can get at some BJ's. I'd rather get the Sabatasso's at COSTCO.

SMRI Collaborator

Sabatasso an Freshetta are Schwan's brands.  If you have the yellow Schwans truck in your area you might be able to get gluten-free pizza from them too!!

• 1 month later...
maximoo Enthusiast

Boy we really love this sabatasso pizza but damn the calories, sodium & fat cld send me into cardiac arrest! I eat a mere 1/8 n stop. Luckily my kids are underweight n young so they do quite well with it. And 2 for $12 u cant be that!! Not sure if theres a pepperoni version but if there is my costco doesnt have it. We have to add it ourselves. no big deal. 

Archived