Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Obese, Not Gluten Free Yet, Anyone Lose Weight After Diagnosis?

obese weight loss

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 Michelle1

Michelle1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

I just had blood tests showing positive for Celiac disease and am awaiting an appointment with the gastroenterologist.  Since I had my child (2.5 yo) I have not been able to lose any weight whatsoever no matter what diet plan (though hadn't tried gluten free before).  Before I was told i had to continue eating gluten until my biopsy I gave it up for two days and had lost 4 pounds!  I'm wondering if there are many out there who were obese and lost weight successfully after they went gluten free?  I don't want to gain more weight like I see some people have done as I'm already way to overweight and have been since i was a child.........

Also, if you have lost weight (and needed to!) after going gluten free...any advice???

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

4 pounds in two days probably isn't permanent weight loss, just fluctuation.  Usually healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week.  I lost 5 or 10 pounds when I first had to go gluten free after my celiac diagnosis, because all I really knew what to cook was grilled chicken and veggies.   Then I learned the ropes some more and went back to normal eating. However, gluten-free isn't a weight loss diet, it is a medically necessary diet to prevent exposure to something that makes you sick, just like a diabetic would be on a sugar free diet.  

If you do end up being diagnosed as a Celiac and go gluten-free, you need to understand that any of the processed gluten-free foods are usually worse for you than non-gluten-free foods, like more calories, fat, and sugar.  If you eat the unhealthy replacement foods, you will gain weight.  Also, many people who are malnourished from advanced intestinal damage will gain weight once their intestines heal and they start absorbing again.  However, the recommended starting point for a newly diagnosed celiac is to 1. Avoid eating out because you will get cross contaminated and that is not good for healing.   2. eat whole foods on the outside of the grocery store like meat, veggies, and fruit, and 3. Avoid dairy for the first three months.

If eating whole foods and getting your veggie intake is very different from what you currently eat, you may lose weight.  Especially if you eat a lot of processed and prepared foods like I did and change your habits to the other end.  But, if you end up re-learning food habits, you can use that chance to make your habits more weight healthy as well.  Let us know how the GI appointment goes!

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

I did not lose any weight going gluten free after my dx, but I did when I was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. I am basically eating only whole foods. No sweets!

Welcome to the forum and check out the newbie section under coping for invaluable tips!
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: