#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

You do not need a book. 

Keep out all high hista foods for 4 weeks. if you have no symptoms, you system is clear. Trial one food at a time.

Add in one high histamine food  per week, for example, eat  a bunch of shrimp or lobster for one day  and see what happens, but no other high histamine foods. 

See what happens. maintain a low histamine diet.

Wait a week, trial something else like bacon and hard cheese or sauerkraut (that one is high).

if you are not having symptoms from the combo of those foods, I doubt your issue is histamine intolerance, because those would set Lisa and me into the bathroom, giving us sores on our faces and scalps, cause painful bloating and swelling in the joints, muscle pain and weakness, migraines and  have Lisa headed for the benedryl. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

This is a good reminder that stress reduction has to be a priority, as much as the food choices we make. I think "we" all tend to talk about stress and it's consequences, for about a minute, then go back to doing whatever crazy thing we were doing before.

I don't anymore. :)  I see no advantages in stressing. Never got me anywhere and it does not solve any problems. Complete waste of time worrying about things i cannot control. And the things I can? well, I find a way to control them. Now, if I could find a way to get the squirrels to stay off my bird feeders (without shooting them dead because I respect all life forms) I'd be all set.  :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#18 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

ROTFL - not too many people know this one, but it's great when LOL doesn't quite cut it. Rodents are way too crafty and relentless!

Mmmmmm... bacon, yes!

By the way, I love that little guy running back and forth at the bottom of your signature, cracks me up every time.

Thanks IH :)

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

ROTFL - not too many people know this one, but it's great when LOL doesn't quite cut it. Rodents are way too crafty and relentless!

Mmmmmm... bacon, yes!

By the way, I love that little guy running back and forth at the bottom of your signature, cracks me up every time.

Thanks IH :)

he's me..(symbolically) .celebrating my coming back from the walking dead ....only I let him do all  the work. :D

You can figure this out. Just stay the course.

ROFLMFAO --that's what I use  ;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#20 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:19 AM

This is a good reminder that stress reduction has to be a priority, as much as the food choices we make. I think "we" all tend to talk about stress and it's consequences, for about a minute, then go back to doing whatever crazy thing we were doing before. I'm taking note of the sources of stress in my life and how to reduce them, one by one. That's new for me.

I absolutely agree that the strict elimination diet followed by adding one food per week only makes the most sense. Bombarding my body with too many foods would make it impossible to determine the results.

I get trying one food "protein" source per week, but I'm not sure about other high histamine foods I reacted too also, like fruits. Is it one high histamine food per week? Then if I react to it again wait to try it again in a month and try a different food the following week?

I would love to find a good book about Histamine Intolerance with the one food per week plan in it, so I could follow it and be sure to do this right.

IMO...since you have removed a great many foods besides histamines and had a marked improvement since the elimination of histamines -- I would stay strict with the low histamine diet while taking the time needed to safely trial all the other foods you have removed. 

Took me nearly six months to trial each food (not food group) individually during the 'Great Elimination of 2011' (that turned into the 'Great Challenge of 2011 and 2012).

For now -- I would change nothing while you come up with a plan for challenges -- for me I started with every three-four days because I had such a lengthy list.  Withing the first couple weeks I had to move the challenges to Friday afternoons because I had failed nearly every challenge and ended up with all sorts of different symptoms for each food I trialed which prevented me from working and or planning any other activity.  Sucked having months of sick weekends but my data was pretty clear and was able to keep working during those months.

YET...with what I now know about histamine regulation within the body (or lack there of in my case) -- I do wish histamines were removed along with all the high lectins back in August '11 -- makes me second guess what my challenge results would have been if I had known my histamine and other mediators needed controlling within my bod ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#21 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

Well, I took out all the high histamine foods that I was reacting to and started eating only low histamine foods 2 1/2 weeks ago. I had to change almost every single thing I was eating. Now I'm left with too little to eat. I have to add something else into my diet to be able to sustain myself. I don't have enough substantial food to keep me going.

Since I lost almonds and sunflower seeds I haven't felt right. I won't try sunflower seeds, the histamine is too high. I keep trying have almonds but they make me feel bad - nothing like the symptoms I was having before, but sore throat, sinus pressure, achy.

I'm waiting until 4 weeks to try any high histamine foods again. That leaves me with trying to add something I haven't tried in a year and a half rather than re-trying something I've had more recently. I want to try potatoes or rice because they are low histamine foods, or coconut milk.

I have to be completely honest about this - I need something more substantial to eat - now, not in a week and a 1/2. I don't know what to add. I've become afraid of food. I'm in tears. I don't want to make the wrong decision, but I have to be able to function.

Tomorrow I'm adding a food and my plan is to try potatoes.

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#22 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

So sorry to read this...can honestly say without any humor at all...been there, done that.

Perhaps tell me what you know you can eat.  I am a magician at turning 20 safe foods (individual ingredients) -- yep that is all i had for a very long time -- into very real meals.

Hang in there - breath - and take one step at a time.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#23 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

Ok, I'll send you a message with what I can eat. I have six safe foods.

If I had twenty I'd be jumping up and down instead of losing my mind.

I don't have enough protein sources or any starches.

#24 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

I just found this information in another thread about dealing with anxiety:

"I found a book by a chap called Paul David which helped me understand anxiety better and it gives advice on recovery. He also has a website. Thing is, he explains that setbacks can occur but that doesn't mean you are back to where you were.  That helped me because there were days when it came back in force and I thought all was lost. But it wasn't, it is just a part of the process really."

It's a great website. It's helping me unwind, so I can think clearly and deal with what I'm facing in a more rational way. Anxiety becomes paralyzing at some point and makes it virtually impossible to solve problems.

There is no one who can tell me which foods to try, and I can't get around testing foods to see how my body responds. It isn't something I can figure it out beforehand or avoid entirely.

I won't spin in circles anymore trying to out-think this process. I will simply test the low histamine foods for now and see how I feel. It's not really all that complicated. I'm going to enjoy it :)

#25 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

I just discovered I can have grapes, nectarines, and artichokes... yay!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: