Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Going On A Cruise This January Kinda Nervous About Food....

• Please log in to reply

15 replies to this topic

#1 KayM

KayM

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

Hi Im going on a carribean cruise this next January Ive been gluten free for a year. I have filed the paper work with the cruise director and such but what else can I do to ensure I am not going to be sick the whole time ??? I have a hard time trusting resturaunts do they really understand? will they be careful? They assure me they can but..... I still am not completly comfortable.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

Which cruise line are you using?

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#3 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

I can relate as I am going on Baltic cruise in June on Royal Caribbean. Our last cruise in the Caribbean was on RC too. They did not gluten my husband (before my dx.). I would advise always eating the the main dining-room. Take snacks on all excursions. No sauce, plain food. Get to know your head waiter, waiter and ask for a tour of the kitchen and meet the chef who manages gluten free.

Happy sailing!
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

I know someone who is a travel agent selling cruises.  Her grandson has Celiac and she said that in the last couple of years, the major ones do a great job with gluten-free.  

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#5 TGK112

TGK112

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

I went on a cruise with Princess Cruise line. They were fantastic. I let them know ahead of time and was told to introduce myself to the head waiter at my first meal. Each evening I would order for the next day. There were plenty of options, including desert. I had absolutely no need for the Kind bars which I brought along.

#6 KayM

KayM

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:20 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions we are using Norweign cruise line. This will be my first and so on top of eating I am just generally nervous about being on a ship but I gotta start somewhere lol. They seem good so far I was sent a letter to fill out with all allergies and what snacks I would be bringing. I was told I would meet with the ship medic and the main resturaunt person when I check in to be sure everything is set. Its just all new and normally I look out for myself and just pack food but this is to lengthy for that and they dont allow it anyway.  

#7 KayM

KayM

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

Which cruise line are you using?

Norwegian Cruise

#8 JosieToo

JosieToo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

From my experience, most cruise lines are generally very good when it comes to preparing food for celiacs.

#9 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

I am still packing snacks for excursions. I challenge them to toss out gluten free food! It is not as if I were smuggling in alcohol!
Anemia -- Resolved
Diabetes -- January 2014

#10 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

Since you have a lot of time, you may want to get a note signed by your doctor- I have one on an RX pad that I keep in my wallet.  Had my primary care doctor write it before I went to a big convention where no outside food is allowed, and decided it is a good thing to have on hand so I have her rewrite it at my annual exam.  Mine says "Patient requires gluten free diet or be allowed to furnish her own food."  That way if you encounter someone with an authority complex, hopefully it will nip that in the bud.  Just make sure you don't bring any foods that are perhaps prohibited for export/import to your countries along the stops or any weird things like that.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#11 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

Since you have a lot of time, you may want to get a note signed by your doctor- I have one on an RX pad that I keep in my wallet.  Had my primary care doctor write it before I went to a big convention where no outside food is allowed, and decided it is a good thing to have on hand so I have her rewrite it at my annual exam.  Mine says "Patient requires gluten free diet or be allowed to furnish her own food."  That way if you encounter someone with an authority complex, hopefully it will nip that in the bud.  Just make sure you don't bring any foods that are perhaps prohibited for export/import to your countries along the stops or any weird things like that.

Great tip! My food will be purchased in England. Will not bring in fresh fruit. Just prepackaged stuff.
Anemia -- Resolved
Diabetes -- January 2014

#12 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

Great tip! My food will be purchased in England. Will not bring in fresh fruit. Just prepackaged stuff.

I'm a tad jealous!  :)  Good thing is they should have some great unique gluten-free food there!

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#13 KayM

KayM

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

I had not thought of that, Thanks for the tip.

#14 JerseySue

JerseySue

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:05 AM

I was aprensive about my recent cruise to Bermuda on RC, but all that worry was a waste of energy. My husband informed RC well in advance of me and my granddaugers (both Celiac)  need to eat gluten free and had a wonderful vacation. We ate in the dining room for breakfast and dinner and pizzas for lunch in the buffet withour either of us getting sick! After the first day on the ship we chose our meals the night before from the menu and some items were made just for us, yum. It was so good I put on 8 pounds in 5 days. The only thing I can recommend is bringing your own snack foods and salad dressing in packets since I didn't trust the salad bar. Will definitly do again!!  

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease Feb. 2009
Gluten free 2 years.

#15 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:22 AM

Oh, thanks! I am sailing on RC!