This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Supplementation

AmandaD

AmandaD Community Regular

Hi there - got my blood test results back and found out I have a very mild Vitamin D deficiency; also had my bone scan and had a normal reading.

I'm wondering how you all get your extra vitamin D -- I'm not a big milk drinker. My doc wrote on my report that I should take 2 400IU tablets of D a day...any recommendation on a brand..?

And, did any of you have D deficiencies?

Thanks so much, again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Me... Dr. said low in D, daugher (chemist) says go out and get some sunshine -- full of vit. D. Try a cal. suppliment with V-D. That might help. Caltrate with D, I THINK is gluten-free, or Centrum with D is gluten-free. ---will have to check on that, with the Delfi Product List....but I do think it's ok. But, please verify.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I don't know if I was deficient or not because my HMO doesnt test for these types of things....they are the worst and also employ the worst doctors around. I was seeing an ND for awhile....she asked me if I felt better when I'm in the sun. I was amazed she was asking me this and I told her I did...I told her I always felt tons better immediately after going outside. I asked her how she knew this. :huh:

She told me I probably had vitamin deficiencies (based on my symptoms) and improvement of symptoms in the sunlight indicates Vit D deficiency. I never knew that...but if I stayed indoors all day I felt tons worse...I *needed* the sunlight.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I'm wondering how you all get your extra vitamin D
I take a multivitamin plus I drink blueberry smoothies made with soy milk.
jpsych Newbie

My doctor recommended OsCal with vitamin D. Does anyone know if its gluten free?

Blueberry smoothies rock!

AmandaD Community Regular

Thanks for all of your suggestions - I'm going to check and see if Oscal is gluten-free. RACHEL- it's absurd that your doctor does not check for vitamin deficiencies - that practice should totally be ashamed of themselves!!!! HMO's, I've heard, can really be crappy!!!

My doctor recommended OsCal with vitamin D. Does anyone know if its gluten free?

Blueberry smoothies rock!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rachel--24 Collaborator
  HMO's, I've heard, can really be crappy!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I learned the hard way. :(

I'm going to switch plans when it comes up in November. I need to find a good doctor though. If anyone knows of a good doc in Bay Area CA....let me know. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I get my vit D through:

* fortified beverages (soy milk/orange juice)

* vitamin supplement (Rainbow Light Food Based Calcium - 100IU D3 (25% of DV, and D3 is the more absorbably form, 500mg calcium (50% DV), 250mg magnesium (63% DV, the appropriate ratio with calcium for better absorption, and one of the minerals that often lacking in celiacs when it comes to bone health)

* daily, unprotected sun exposure (no sunblock for the 10-15 minutes (summer, length varies on skin color))

* a varied, healthy diet

WRowland Newbie

In general, food based is best, with supplementation as needed. It may be more than Calcium/Vitamin D.

Check out www.nutritiondata.com. Start with ND Quick Start and go from there.

I was already taking supplements for my bones, but realized that I was doing well for some things, but really needed a vitamin E supplement after using this site.

Jenn2005 Contributor

CarrieFaith

Would you mind sharing your Blueberry Smoothie recipie? I would like to try something like that for my husband. He is also casein intolerant so when you said you used soy milk it got me thinking.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Siobhan Rookie

My Dr suggested Ostelin 1-2 a day to boost my low Vit D levels.

kevsmom Contributor

Currently I am taking Spring Valley Natural Calcium with Vitamin D. The dosage I take is only 125 I.U. I don't know if they make a higher dosage, or maybe they have just Vitamin D in a higher dosage without Calcium. If not you could make a whole meal out of it to get 800 I.U. :D That sure sounds like a lot of Vitamin D!

Before that I was taking CVS brand. I don't remember what the dosage was.

lizzy Apprentice

hi all i teke vit b12 and multivits too gluten free of course but am not certain if i need to take more b12 as i have a neurolical problem and this vit does help me but i take too one more than the recommended doses but dont know if am over taking it, i read that healthy people should take just one but am not healthy so i am taking too to make sure i get enough to my nerve cells , does anyone else take alot of b12 liz

elisabet Contributor
hi all i teke vit b12 and multivits too gluten free of course but am not certain if i need to take more b12 as i have a neurolical problem and this vit does help me but i take too one more than the recommended doses but dont know if am over taking it, i read that healthy people should take just one but am not healthy so i am taking too to make sure i get enough to my nerve cells , does anyone else take alot of b12 liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Liz,

What type of vit b12 do you take?

lizzy Apprentice

hi all the vits i take are made by nature made and are gluten free i get them from the local supermarket and they not too expensive on your pocket liz

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Sunlight. Get out more. It's great. Also, there's been some studies linking MS to vitamin D defs. They say that people living in more southly regions have WAY less MS and attribute it to the higher doses of Vit. D. Get out and bask in the sunlight. Now you can justify it as medically necessary!

lgleeson Newbie
hi all the vits i take are made by nature made and are gluten free i get them from the local supermarket and they not too expensive on your pocket liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lgleeson Newbie

I am taking B-12 by Country Life and they say on the label they are gluten-free. Right now I am taking 3000 mcg sublingually (under the tongue for better absorption). I am taking a high dose, because I, too, have neurological symptoms. It has helped immensely. You can't take too much Vitamin B-12. You will just pee out the extra. (not the case with all vitamins).

tarnalberry Community Regular
Sunlight.  Get out more.  It's great.  Also, there's been some studies linking MS to vitamin D defs.  They say that people living in more southly regions have WAY less MS and attribute it to the higher doses of Vit. D.  Get out and bask in the sunlight.  Now you can justify it as medically necessary!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I definitely agree with that one! (Though, now that I moved somewhere where there isn't enough light to do this for a number of months out of the year, I can't 'practice what I preach' year round. :-( ) Sunlight, without sunblock, for a short time every day is good for many reasons, and D is just one of them. It's more problematic in winter, in the northern hemisphere, since many latitudes don't get enough sunlight for sufficient D production, but that's all the more reason to get in your sun-time during the summer! (D is stored in the body.)

Archived