Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

I Like Our Doctor For Other Reasons And Don't Want To Switch....

31 posts in this topic

You might call them and ask.  I think in some places you can.  Not up to date on these laws any longer.  When I had mine done, I made sure they sent a copy of the results to me and to the doctor.  If you need a doc to order them, and you don't want to ask this doc, your OB/GYN could order it, too - if you have an agreeable one.  I just told my doc I wanted to do one & knew I might have to pay for it.  She wrote an order.

Now that's interesting! I actually didn't have an OB (I had homebirths with a midwife) but my midwife works with a lab, maybe she could order it for me if they didn't want to order it direct.

Ads by Google:

Now that's interesting! I actually didn't have an OB (I had homebirths with a midwife) but my midwife works with a lab, maybe she could order it for me if they didn't want to order it direct.

Sometimes OB/Gyn types are more agreeable to this stuff.  Especially if you want to maybe have another baby.  It is important to know about Celiac disease in that case.

How reliable are dna swabs versus the bloodwork?

DNA is DNA. It's in every cell of your body so I don't think it would matter swab vs. blood. They use cheek swabs for police investigations so I would think that would be good enough for a Celiac gene test as well.

DNA is DNA. It's in every cell of your body so I don't think it would matter swab vs. blood. They use cheek swabs for police investigations so I would think that would be good enough for a Celiac gene test as well.

Thank you, Stephanie, for answering this question.  You beat me to it!  I think any difference in testing preference might be the amount of gene testing being done.  Maybe if a doctor is doing gene testing on a number of suspected conditions, they might prefer the blood test.  If you just want to know if you carry either DQ-2 or DQ-8, then go with the cheek swab.  That's what I did and how I found out I have a double Celiac gene.  After all, they can extract enough DNA off of a cigarette butt to convict someone of murder so I'm thinking the cheek swab is highly acceptable!  ;)

Gemini, which lab or provider did you get your test through?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• egs1707. Are you in Canada?  It's NOT a good idea to go gluten free between now & the GI appt. and here's why.... MOST of us have MUCH stronger reactions to gluten when we go back on it for the endoscopy. A lot of people have had such strong reactions that they have been entirely unable to complete the challenge and have to call it quits. This means they never get an official dx. It's your call, you make the choice. However, I will say that you don't have to eat a lot of gluten, a couple saltines or a slice of bread per day. 
    • You mentioned the tight head. Yes, both my celiac sibling and I had head pressure. Mine was horrible last glutening with eye pain as well. Like someone put a vice around my temples. I swore it felt like a parasite infected my gut, thyroid and brain. It is going away mostly, still have it on and off a bit.  My brother said his naturopath informed him some celiacs get a bit of inflammation in the brain.   
    • Hi All this is my blood test result 1.immunogloblulin serum 203 ( 87-350) 2.Deamidated Gliadin IGA  4 ( 0-19 negative) 3.Deamidated Gliadin IGG 3(0-19 negative) 4.Transglutainase IGA <2 ( 0-3 negative) 5.Transglutainase IGG <2 ( 0-3 negative) does it mean most likely no celiac ? thanks.  
    • At the moment it's microwave rice packets as it needs to be something easy for lunch at work. What do you choose for breakfast? At the moment I have gluten-free porridge oats with fruits but also seeing oats are a bit of a gamble in the early days. Trying to figure out how long a reaction takes to show up i.e. if I feel ropey later in the day is it really lunch as I'm blaming at present or actually is it something from the morning or even night before? The food is the toughest bit for me right now; wasn't that great with it before so will need plenty ideas from you good people... seems I'm in the right place though   
    • I know what you're going through - it's that grieving process and it's tough.  I was diagnosed in 2013, and aside from an occasional pity party, I don't look back. I have my restaurants where I feel safe, I have the food I know I can eat, and I get on with my life.  I'm lucky that I live in a big city with lots of options, but you can make this work, and you will feel better and once you do, you'll stop grieving.  The people on this site helped enormously. It is tough in the beginning to know if you've been 'glutened' vs. just going through withdrawal.  For that reason alone, it's best to avoid restaurants for a little while and be careful at home - just to be sure what's happening.  Eventually you'll be able to get back to your version of 'normal'.  Oh, I also have hypothyroid/hashimoto's.  No big deal, I take synthroid. Quinoa, eggs, nuts and beans for protein.  You don't have to go crazy on the cooking.  Just eat a lot of whole foods.  There are a lot of complicated recipes out there, but now may not be the time.  Rice noodles in veggie bouillon - easy and cheap.  gluten-free pasta with olive oil, parmesan and garlic - easy.  I eat a lot of rice and have never had a problem - you're not getting it out of one of those bulk bins, are you?  That could be contaminated.  Go with packaged.  Do you have access to the Macro Vegetarian brand of prepared rice dishes (in the refrigerated section).  They have several that are gluten free, they're delicious heated and with a little gluten-free soy sauce.  They're my go to on days I don't want to cook. Good luck!  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Jessica123