Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

I Like Our Doctor For Other Reasons And Don't Want To Switch....

31 posts in this topic

You might call them and ask.  I think in some places you can.  Not up to date on these laws any longer.  When I had mine done, I made sure they sent a copy of the results to me and to the doctor.  If you need a doc to order them, and you don't want to ask this doc, your OB/GYN could order it, too - if you have an agreeable one.  I just told my doc I wanted to do one & knew I might have to pay for it.  She wrote an order.

Now that's interesting! I actually didn't have an OB (I had homebirths with a midwife) but my midwife works with a lab, maybe she could order it for me if they didn't want to order it direct.

Ads by Google:

Now that's interesting! I actually didn't have an OB (I had homebirths with a midwife) but my midwife works with a lab, maybe she could order it for me if they didn't want to order it direct.

Sometimes OB/Gyn types are more agreeable to this stuff.  Especially if you want to maybe have another baby.  It is important to know about Celiac disease in that case.

How reliable are dna swabs versus the bloodwork?

DNA is DNA. It's in every cell of your body so I don't think it would matter swab vs. blood. They use cheek swabs for police investigations so I would think that would be good enough for a Celiac gene test as well.

DNA is DNA. It's in every cell of your body so I don't think it would matter swab vs. blood. They use cheek swabs for police investigations so I would think that would be good enough for a Celiac gene test as well.

Thank you, Stephanie, for answering this question.  You beat me to it!  I think any difference in testing preference might be the amount of gene testing being done.  Maybe if a doctor is doing gene testing on a number of suspected conditions, they might prefer the blood test.  If you just want to know if you carry either DQ-2 or DQ-8, then go with the cheek swab.  That's what I did and how I found out I have a double Celiac gene.  After all, they can extract enough DNA off of a cigarette butt to convict someone of murder so I'm thinking the cheek swab is highly acceptable!  ;)

Gemini, which lab or provider did you get your test through?