Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten In Medications

7 posts in this topic

I have had Celiac Disease for years and really starting having problems about 5 years ago.

I take meds on a regular basis and I printed a list to take to my Dr.  We tried to use other med but Bystolic is the only one that help with my BP and HR.

Now I'm in a celiac crisis and don't know what to do.  I'm so burn't out trying to stay healthy.  I get violently sick for days and have to be admitted into the hospital.

Does anyone have a suggestion about any meds that are close to Bystolic?  I have been trying to use other BP meds and they cause me to swell.

Thanks to anyone that has any suggestions.

Elizabeth :wub: 

Ads by Google:

You may need to have it made at a compounding pharmacy if you don't find a substitute.

Colleen

You may need to have it made at a compounding pharmacy if you don't find a substitute.

Colleen

Oh, good suggestion!

I went directly to my pharmacist to ask about my meds, not my doctor.  I always get better info directly from the people who deal with the meds and manufacturers. 

Oh, good suggestion!

I went directly to my pharmacist to ask about my meds, not my doctor.  I always get better info directly from the people who deal with the meds and manufacturers. 

Thank you both.  Still some manufacturers still have no idea.  I even printed a list of all gluten free meds.  The meds that are gluten free are not helping my hereditary high BP

This has been crossing my mind lately too.  I am on multiple medications.  I don't have a severe gluten intolerance but still.  I have a question, if I take a generic of a gluten free medication I guess there would be a possibility the coating of the generic could have gluten, correct? 

This has been crossing my mind lately too.  I am on multiple medications.  I don't have a severe gluten intolerance but still.  I have a question, if I take a generic of a gluten free medication I guess there would be a possibility the coating of the generic could have gluten, correct?

Any medication can contain gluten (inside and the coating). You have to check with the manufacturer. You can ask the pharmacist to help you.

Yes, gluten is used as a binding agent so you can't be sure either way.