Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Anyone Allergic To All Grains?

8 posts in this topic

Having had to cut soy and corn from my diet on top of casein and gluten, I've been 'testing' myself with small amounts of other grains, just to basically see what I can eat. I've found that a half slice of gluten-free bread made my stomach bloat (just like corn does). Last night I made a cup of brown rice pasta to accompany my chicken and brocolli, and after a couple of forkfuls my stomach was tight and bloated.

Do you think I'm reacting like this to all grains just because my body is so anti-gluten right now it's freaking out at anything slightly resembling it? Or do I have a problem with lectins as a whole? I don't have any other symptoms from these foods - don't get serious 'glutened' symptoms, just instant bloating and a hard, tight stomach. It's uncomfortable and unsightly, and doesn't go away for a few days. Perhaps I've developed a leaky gut?

I also got bloated the other day from a baked potato. It's all fitting in with the Paleolithic diet theory that we're not supposed to eat anything that would be toxic to us in it's raw state... Hmmm...

Btw, still waiting for my York allergy test results... 4+ weeks and counting... :angry:

Ads by Google:
Having had to cut soy and corn from my diet on top of casein and gluten, I've been 'testing' myself with small amounts of other grains, just to basically see what I can eat.  I've found that a half slice of gluten-free bread made my stomach bloat (just like corn does).  Last night I made a cup of brown rice pasta to accompany my chicken and brocolli, and after a couple of forkfuls my stomach was tight and bloated.

Do you think I'm reacting like this to all grains just because my body is so anti-gluten right now it's freaking out at anything slightly resembling it?  Or do I have a problem with lectins as a whole?  I don't have any other symptoms from these foods - don't get serious 'glutened' symptoms, just instant bloating and a hard, tight stomach.  It's uncomfortable and unsightly, and doesn't go away for a few days.  Perhaps I've developed a leaky gut?

I also got bloated the other day from a baked potato.  It's all fitting in with the Paleolithic diet theory that we're not supposed to eat anything that would be toxic to us in it's raw state...  Hmmm...

Btw, still waiting for my York allergy test results... 4+ weeks and counting...  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm having the same problems. No corn tortillas, dairy or gluten-free bread. I'm pretty sure I have leaky gut and I'm sensitive to chemicals as well. All of this gets much worse after a glutening or if I eat too many foods that bother me. If I eat very plain and organic symptoms improve and I can tolerate more.

My food sensitivity testing (Great Smokies) didn't reveal anything but that was 6 months ago and pre-gluten-free so maybe things have changed. Other tests I had done came back that I have dysbiosis and I think thats got alot to do with these sensitivities. I'm taking probiotics now and not eating those things that irritate the gut. Hopefully the gluten-free diet/ probiotics and avoiding foods that are hard to digest will help things along.

I had taken antibiotics while I was sick and the doctors didnt know what was wrong so just gave me anything. I think my body was too run down already and the antibiotics killed all my good bacteria and made me sicker. :angry:

I did take probiotics for awhile but I wasnt completely gluten-free and had malabsorption so I guess they didn't hold. Now that I'm gluten-free and stronger I'm hoping the probiotics will do much good.

Corn bread,have you considered it may be starchy things(potato,rice-not sure about gluten-free bread)or maybe yeast?

Although I'm not a coeliac (my husband is)-I'm gluten-free too as my ezcema reacts to gluten.

I've found I get uncomfortably bloated after gluten-free bread and rice.

I'm trying to work it out too! :blink:

That could be it Nikki - the gluten-free bread contains yeast. I too get excema from gluten.

Rachel - sorry to hear you're in the same boat, but at the same time I'm glad to hear it's not just me! I started taking a probiotic complex and essential enzymes a few days ago. What I'd read on the board made me suspicious of a leaky gut and adding something good back into my system seemed like a good place to start. I just can't see any other reason that a person would become intolerant of so many foods, one after another. I even considered the SC diet, but there is a lot of dairy, and I do so great on a paleolithic style diet which is not so restricitve, so I think I will just stick to that. If I can't ever eat grains/starches ever again, it's ok. I'm starting to understand not only do I not need that stuff to be healthy, but I positively thrive without it. If I just eat meat, fish, veggies, eggs, good fats and fruit, my energy goes through the roof and my mood is fantastic. I just feel so focused and ready for anything. I have to stop 'testing' all these other foods, because I clearly don't need them... I guess old habits die hard. For years we are told that we need wholegrains to be healthy, but I need to trust my body. :)

Have you tried buckwheat (not related to wheat despite the name) or flaxseed? Those two don't bother me at all. Soy in large quantities makes me feel ill. I avoid potatos and rice because they cause me to get bloated and gain weight. It could be the starch that is causing problems.

That could be it Nikki - the gluten-free bread contains yeast. I too get excema from gluten.

Rachel - sorry to hear you're in the same boat, but at the same time I'm glad to hear it's not just me! I started taking a probiotic complex and essential enzymes a few days ago. What I'd read on the board made me suspicious of a leaky gut and adding something good back into my system seemed like a good place to start. I just can't see any other reason that a person would become intolerant of so many foods, one after another. I even considered the SC diet, but there is a lot of dairy, and I do so great on a paleolithic style diet which is not so restricitve, so I think I will just stick to that. If I can't ever eat grains/starches ever again, it's ok. I'm starting to understand not only do I not need that stuff to be healthy, but I positively thrive without it. If I just eat meat, fish, veggies, eggs, good fats and fruit, my energy goes through the roof and my mood is fantastic. I just feel so focused and ready for anything. I have to stop 'testing' all these other foods, because I clearly don't need them... I guess old habits die hard. For years we are told that we need wholegrains to be healthy, but I need to trust my body. :)

Hi there,

I know this blog was awhile back. I was wondering how things were going for you as far as this diet. I'm trying to do my own research on this. I too have this problem. I have to do the caveman diet to prevent any discomfort. The only thing wrong with this diet for me is that I lose a lot of weight from it and I can't afford to. So I usually break from the diet and binge on gluten free bread types to maintain my weight. The bloating stops after about 4 days after I continue the meat, veggies and some fruit diet. I thought it might be yeast that could be bothering me. I also am susceptible to colds when I do this diet. I'd like to hear from you about this topic if you don't mind. It would really help.

Thanks.

I think grains of any kinds are hard on all of our stomachs. Buckwheat, like someone mentioned above might be a great option to try. It's really easy on my stomach. Also, quinoa and sorghum seem to be okay for me, but lately brown rice has been a problem. So, you may want to stick to a mostly 'Paleo diet,' which might be the easiest way to avoid problems (meat, veggies, fruits, nuts, )

I personally do not think you are allergic to all grains. Of course, it is not uncommon for the body to be high alert for anything even remotely similar to gluten. I think your issue lies with insoluble fiber. It is very rough on the digestive tract and can throw off your digestion of fats. All whole grains contain insoluble fiber. It also explains your issue with the potato as well, you ate it with the skin on right?

Do you react to white rice?

Try avoiding all sources of insoluble fiber for a while and see if that makes a difference. This includes the skins of most vegetables and fruits, all whole grains and be careful of any added sources of fiber such as 'rice bran.' You'll also want to avoid cruciferous vegetables (lettuce, brussel sprouts, etc.). It might seem difficult to still eat healthy but these are what I usually stick to

- Tons of carrots

- Bananas

- Apples w/o skin

- Oranges

- Peas

- Strawberries

- Potatoes w/o skin

- Onions

- Tomatoes

- All peppers

I think you get the idea. And if you're uncertain about a specific food, you can get all this info online. Or PM me if you have any further questions.