7 replies to this topic

#1 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

For those of us who suffer from histamine related issues, I wanted to pass along this info I read about probiotics. I found this info on several sites.

I read that some strains of probiotics can be histamine producing: Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus Bulgaricus, and Lactobacillus reuteri. I have the first two in the probiotics I've taken for over a year. I'm stopping them.

Others can work in the reverse, reducing histamine: Bifidobacterium infantis , Bifidobacterium longum, and Lactobacillus plantarum.

I've been taking Saccharomyces-Boulardii which is supposed to be helpful for gastroenteritis. I was planning to start Culturelle so I'm switching to that one. I just saw my ND. She said if you rotate the different types probiotics you take, it might increase their effectiveness.

I've included this link for the most recent info I found, but only for the info on probiotics, (not for any other claims it makes).

http://exerscribe.co...and-probiotics/

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

Hogwash :) not you!! -that guy he is quoting. lol

The man he is quoting in that blog article is this man (below)... so you are going to follow the advice of this guy?

"Dave Asprey, founder of The Bulletproof Executive, is a Silicon Valley investor and technology entrepreneur who spent 15 years and over $300,000 to hack his own biology. Dave lost 100 pounds without counting calories or excessive exercise, used techniques to upgrade his brain by more than 20 IQ points, and lowered his biological age while learning to sleep more efficiently in less time. Learning to do these seemingly impossible things transformed him into a better entrepreneur, a better husband, and a better father.

From private brain EEG facilities hidden in a Canadian forest to remote monasteries in Tibet, from Silicon Valley to the Andes, Dave used hacking techniques and tried everything on himself, obsessively focused on discovering the answers to this one persistent question:

What are the simplest things you can do to be better at everything?

What emerged is the idea of being “Bulletproof”, the state of high performance where you take control of and improve your biochemistry, your body, and your mind so they work in unison, helping you execute at levels far beyond what you’d expect, without burning out, getting sick, or allowing stress to control your decisions. It used to take a lifetime to radically rewire the human body and mind this way, if you were lucky enough to even know it was possible. Technology has changed the rules."

what several sites have you found this information on?

...because I have taken some  multi strain ProBs with 2 of those strains in them and my histamine intolerance is under control. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

The woman who writes The Low Histamine Chef blog says

"Today I found that Lactobacillus reuteri is something I definitely want in thereRather excitingly to me, this new study proves something I’ve been talking about for ages – that not all histamine is bad for us. Lactobacillus reuteri causes histidine to convert to histamine, but this particular histamine raises cAMP (this is good!), and kills inflammation! This study finally backs up the assertion that not all histamine is bad and as such should not be entirely eliminated from the diet."

she questions the  casei  and Lactobacillus Bulgaricus ...

For now I’ve decided to avoid Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus Bulgaricus, until I find studies showing that their histamine raising qualities are in fact something we want, because it raises cAMP levels/fights inflammation.

But she does not produce any studies either way.

I do agree that you should switch up ProBs sometimes and Jess ( a doctor with celiac disease and MCAS ) and I take  Florejen 3.

Florajen contains only one active ingredient, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and has a total cell count of over 20 billion live cultures. It is especially helpful for maintaining a natural balance of vaginal flora. Florajen3 includes Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis andBifidobacterium longum with a total cell count over 15 billion live cultures. It is especially helpful for maintaining gastrointestinal health.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#4 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

Hmmm… I'm not sure, but I get the idea you feel strongly about this :)

I wanted to share what I found but I was careful to state it as something I read, nothing more.

I'll leave it to you to determine whether there is truth in it IH.

I first read it on the Low Histamine Chef website. I originally came across it when I clicked on the link about histamine lowering probiotic strains. Then I found the same info on other sites. The links are below.

http://thelowhistami...han-raising-it/

http://onlinelibrary...2717.x/abstract

http://forums.phoeni...obiotics.24643/

https://groups.googl...QU/4vQl9x41PQoJ

http://www.bulletpro...-fat-and-foggy/

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:44 AM

I'll leave it to you to determine whether there is truth in it IH.

When it comes to celiac and the issue of histamine intolerance (which is poorly understood, really) I always read current research from reputable sources, check in with my GI doctor and discuss things with him , talk with people who have also researched HIT for a few years besides me (GottaskiLisa, Jebby aka jess) and then, I do what's best for me. ^_^ Lisa and Jess and I have had great success controlling the histamine levels in our bodies and we all have to do different things to obtain that. They both require medications, whereas I do not because I do not suffer anaphylaxis.

I take quercetin, probiotics, fish oil caps and stay low histamine on the food intake. Symptoms that troubled me for 2 years--even after going gluten-free and being monitored by my doctor--- are almost obsolete. It was not pleasant to continuously suffer from allergic reactions, sores on my face and scalp, fatigue, wonky bowels, joint pain etc. so I did everything in my power to make that stop. 

I hope you can find your tolerance level and enjoy a wider variety of foods at some point.

I know how hard it is to have so many foods out of the rotation.I did it for a long time. 

Good luck! 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#6 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:49 AM

FruitE,

I really have to agree with Irish on everything she's told you and there are VERY few on this board who actually have a Histamine intolerance and even less with MCAD.  If you don't find relief of some big issues with going low/no histamine in a few weeks then it is likely not an issue for you.

I hate to see New Members run after cures when Celiac takes time for wellness to happen.  If after some period of time you still have unresolved issues, then look for the next probable issue AND seek medical care.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:55 AM

Yep, what Irish said.

Hang in there :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#8 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

I've seen a huge difference going low histamine. The allergy-like symptoms have improved, I see positive changes in my digestion, and my joint pain is better so I can sleep more comfortably again.

I have more foods to choose from now, so it's easier. I'm on the right path, getting better, and moving forward  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: