13 replies to this topic

#1 CajunChic

CajunChic

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

I'm dying for safe (cooked) sushi! The places around me are not accommodating, so as we all know, if you want something-you have to make it yourself! I'm having the hardest time trying to find crab sticks without wheat starch. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, what sauces have you made that are close to the real things? Thanks!!

"Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul."
3 John 1:2

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:41 PM

Afraid you'll have to use real crab,  the sticks and  kameboko are all made with wheat except for one company in Hiroshima but I've never see those outside of Japan.   You can usually buy frozen crab legs  which when thawed are very nice.  Have you practice making rice? its good to practice making it  with the right  combo of vinegar and sugar.   what other dishes are you trying to make?

I'm dying for safe (cooked) sushi! The places around me are not accommodating, so as we all know, if you want something-you have to make it yourself! I'm having the hardest time trying to find crab sticks without wheat starch. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, what sauces have you made that are close to the real things? Thanks!!

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

Do you have a sushi mat yet? Homemade sushi is so much easier to make right with a sushi mat. And they're inexpensive--less than $3 at our Oriental store. :)

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#4 CajunChic

CajunChic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:27 AM

Thanks for the advice! Guess I'll break down and buy the real crab legs. I'm wanting to make my favorite crab, shrimp, avocado, and mango rolls. I'd love to make a sauce similar to eel sauce. I love the sweet and savory contrast. I will be purchasing the mats and whatever else I need because sushi is my one true grievance since going gluten-free. Please share your experience with making rice or anything!

"Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul."

#5 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

If you have to buy fresh crab legs a lot of seafood counters will steam them for you for free.  The only time I have made sushi is with my japanese friend.  Check out youtube, there are some good cooking videos on there.  I can't track down the name but there is a Chinese guy who posts videos of traditional cuisine and that is where I learned how to make my own chinese takeout.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#6 CajunChic

CajunChic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

Good to know! I'll be doing more research! Just wanted the gluten-free experts' opinions first

#7 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:02 PM

the eel sauce is basically sweet teriyaki sometimes  with  rive vinegar or other sauce mixed in. the best sauces  are made using raw brown sugar from okinawa.  with  rice   once it s cooked  you mix vinegar and  sugar to get the taste you like. You can  try  rice vinegar instead of white vinegar.   you do need ot be careful of powdered wasabi as it is not all gluten free.  read the ingredients carefully.

Thanks for the advice! Guess I'll break down and buy the real crab legs. I'm wanting to make my favorite crab, shrimp, avocado, and mango rolls. I'd love to make a sauce similar to eel sauce. I love the sweet and savory contrast. I will be purchasing the mats and whatever else I need because sushi is my one true grievance since going gluten-free. Please share your experience with making rice or anything!

Japanese proverb

#8 CajunChic

CajunChic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:13 AM

Thanks so much, kenlove!

#9 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:03 AM

sure, let me know if you run into any trouble. I'm vegan and celiac  but I trained as a chef in japan about 30 years ago.

A lot of it is by taste and once your used to it you'll see that no 2   chefs use the same recipes, especially for the rice. 

good luck!

Thanks so much, kenlove!

Japanese proverb

#10 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

Be sure to use rice that sticks together well. I use Lundberg Farms sushi rice for my sushi.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#11 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

Good point about the rice.  We used Kukuho Rose at the restaurant in Chicago, NIshiki was 2nd choice. I use lundberg sometimes but am spoiled since I spend a lot of time in Japan and usually bring shimai (new) rice home with me. 

Be sure to use rice that sticks together well. I use Lundberg Farms sushi rice for my sushi.

Japanese proverb

#12 CajunChic

CajunChic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

I just bought Nishiki, I'll let you know how it goes

!

this thread is the BEST
thank you lmcdoiron for open it

So glad I was helpful

#13 CajunChic

CajunChic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

A lot of it is by taste and once your used to it you'll see that no 2   chefs use the same recipes, especially for the rice. 
good luck!

Made my sushi finally and was quite impressed! I see what you meant by experimenting with the rice, I have a few adjustments to make. Again, thank you for the advice!

#14 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:15 AM

I like making vegan sushi, once you get the rice down, try tops with blanched  ultra thin slice of carrot. slice portobello mushroom, tomato, zucchini -- anything really-- it all goes great with sushi rice

Japanese proverb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: