85 replies to this topic

#16 AnnaChristine18

AnnaChristine18

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

Are there specific digestive enzymes you could recomend? I've been taking Papaya enzymes. My nutritionist recomended them to me but they haven't helped at all. Then again, nothing's helped at all. Is there another brand that could possibly work better for me?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 jiggles

jiggles

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

Hello AnnaChristine,

sorry to hear you are still feeling poorly,

I use enzymedica Digest ,

I notice you are already eating nuts and nuts can be very hard to digest at the best of times,
I found nuts gave me terribly bad indigestion and bloating and all the symptoms you mention,
so I cut them out completely,

I do hope to re introduce them at a later date though ,
I have also read that its far better to soak nuts and allow them to sprout a little first as this aids digestion , see link below

http://www.healthful...8/soaking-nuts/

In the UK it is quite hard to find nuts that are free from cross contamination due to shared facility's
I am not too sure about the USA though ,

buying nuts in the shell will have less chance of c/c

Hmm, thinking perhaps all those other supplements may be a bit too much for you just yet ,

Perhaps you could try starting over with just your meat and veggies ,
then introduce some good digestive enzymes, then probiotics ,
keeping notes of how you feel ,

also when you buy any meat in a butchers or a deli counter , do be extra careful as marinades and ham crumbs can easily be transferred onto other cuts of meats ,

I do hope you will soon be feeling better,

Jiggles x x

#18 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:13 AM

I use Country Life zyme-aid and they seem to be working.  I can eat high fat things without diarrhea that give me diarrhea without the enzymes.  They contain enzymes that digest fat as well as a bunch of other stuff.  I chose that brand because it is certified gluten-free.

#19 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:46 AM

I'm wondering if there is an issue with lower levels of cross contamination of the nut flours you are using.  They could be certified at 20 ppm but perhaps they contain lower levels of gluten.

When you remarked that you had been recently tested for ttg iga (?) levels, it showed you were fine.  Did that mean your numbers are decreasing and you are now in the 'normal range'?

#20 AnnaChristine18

AnnaChristine18

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

Yes, I've been tested and my iga levels have gone done immensely yet I feel worse than when I was still eating gluten. I use coconut flour and almond flour, both are made from nothing but ground up coconut or almond.

#21 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:11 AM

I would try cutting out the nuts to see if that helps.  When I was first going gluten-free, I had a terrible time digesting nuts.

Sorry you are going through this -- I believe they and you will eventually find out what the problem is.

I'm assuming you've checked all marinades, are using gluten-free Soy Sauce, etc. if at all (I don't know much about Paleo, but figured I'd ask).;

Good luck.

#22 coffngrl

coffngrl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:47 AM

I've been reading this fascinating book on the origins of autoimmune diseases like celiac, and it is clear through much research that these are caused by a disruption in the bacteria and other organisms, known as the "microbiome" that inhabit our bodies. It's 500 pages of scientific research, so it's not for the faint of heart.

The book details how autoimmune diseases are caused by our clean living, sadly. In countries where there are poor sanitation conditions and people get infected with worms, they get no celiac disease at all. It's supported both by epidemiology - the rise of asthma, celiac, MS, type 1 diabetes all parallel the removal of long-tolerated parasites that have been with us through our evolution.

In fact, the author himself, with autoimmune alopecia, goes to Mexico to get infected with helminths to see if it would cure his condition. In addition to allergies, type 1 diabetes, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, they also link autism, schizophrenia and indirectly, cancer to the changes in our microbiome. The North American diet, rife with sugars unprecedented in our evolutionary past, has encouraged a biome that loves to eat sugar - the bugs even make you crave sugar! In Japan, their bugs like seaweed. You are what you eat!

It's why probiotics have become such a big industry.  It's also why paleo and SCD help. What you need to do is try to restore the balance in your guts. We all need to, actually. You can take probiotics but you need to find ones that are guaranteed to be live. Not all yogurt has live cultures when sold. Find probiotics that are sold at room temperature in blister packs under nitrogen, in a cellulose capsule. Get 3-5 strains (apparently you don't need 50 different strains, or they start competing with each other) including Lactobacillus and Bifidus. The former helps clog the leaky gut and the latter helps to quell your hyperactive immune system.

I've found that sugars, be they natural or processed, trigger my gut symptoms, and after reading this book I'm convinced that those sugar loving bacteria are growing then, (which is why FODMAPS helps) and when it grows it causes symptoms.

So - eliminate sugar, take probiotics, give it some time to balance out and hopefully the symptoms will stop. I'm still working on the balancing out thing - giving up sugar is really hard - but I did see a marked change right after taking Culturelle.

Hope this helps.

#23 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:46 AM

I have been trying to buy nuts that are processed by companies that only produce one product.  Green Valley Pecans is a company I recently purchased from.  I am super sensitive and did not react to them.

I have been scrubbing and washing nuts before grinding them.  I believe that grinding them helps to make them more digestible. SCD diet recommends them as being helpful to recover from celiac.  I avoid any and all nuts that disclose they are processed with wheat.  I watch out for other grains too, but some people with celiac don't need to.

I only listed Pecans, since that is the first nuts that I have found from a source without other products.  I have only tried to be more stringent recently.  If anyone knows of nuts from a source only having 1 variety please Pm me about it.

Dee

#24 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:50 AM

Yes, I've been tested and my iga levels have gone done immensely yet I feel worse than when I was still eating gluten. I use coconut flour and almond flour, both are made from nothing but ground up coconut or almond.

Are gluten containing products processed in the facility where the coconut flour and almond flour are processed?

#25 AnnaChristine18

AnnaChristine18

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

No of course not, I look at every single labe of everything i eat (and i don't eat very much processed foods) if it says anything along the lines of "Was manufactured on the same equipment as wheat" I'm not going to be stupid. It ISN'T cross contamination.

#26 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:08 AM

No of course not, I look at every single labe of everything i eat (and i don't eat very much processed foods) if it says anything along the lines of "Was manufactured on the same equipment as wheat" I'm not going to be stupid. It ISN'T cross contamination.

There is no legal requirement for that statement.  

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#27 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:31 AM

In other words, the item can be processed in a shared facility even if the statement is not there.  You would need to look online or contact the company to find out for sure.  I really was not trying to say that you are stupid.  The thing about cross contamination is that some celiacs react to lower levels of cross contamination than others.  Here is a study with people that improved with a diet of whole unprocessed foods.  The flours that you use would be considered processed.  http://www.biomedcen...1471-230X/13/40

#28 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

I don't know if this helps but I just wanted to say that you're not alone when it comes to being sick enough to have to stay home and deal with being kept from doing the things you used to be able to do out in the world. I'm in the same boat and it is so frustrating.

Just know that this is a temporary phase of your recovery. You will bounce back and be better. It sounds like you are trying really hard to do the right things. Honestly it just takes time, even if you are doing the right things. I don't think it is helpful for anyone to have told you that you will be well in a matter of a few months. The length of time it takes is different for everyone.

If you can, try to make peace with the process of getting well, and try your best not to expect to see results in any particular time frame. Keeping stress to a minimum is as important as anything else you are doing toward feeling better. The more you can relax and go with it, the faster you will heal. I'm not suggesting it's easy to do that, but it will help.

You are making progress every day even if it doesn't seem like it. You will get through this and get back to being able to enjoy your life more again. Hang in there. It will happen!  :)

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#29 Linda1948

Linda1948

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:28 PM

I started taking Digestive Advantage for Intensive Bowel Support. After a few days I started having pains in my stomach & bowel problems. I looked at the ingredients and found out it contains wheat.

#30 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

I started taking Digestive Advantage for Intensive Bowel Support. After a few days I started having pains in my stomach & bowel problems. I looked at the ingredients and found out it contains wheat.

Sounds like you have learned the first rule of Celiac - ALWAYS read the ingredients

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs, celiac, refractory celiac, bloating, constipation, pain, help me, not healing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: