Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Frank's Red Hot - Is The Distilled Vinegar From Corn Or Wheat?

hot sauce distilled vinegar

• Please log in to reply

16 replies to this topic

#1 meowndy

meowndy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

hi everyone, this is my first post!  :rolleyes:

so I love frank's red hot, and also happen to be very congested, so I figured it'd be a good idea to cook dinner with that tonight! BUT - distilled vinegar is one of the ingredients and unfortunately I am one of those that is extra sensitive and will react if the vinegar is distilled from wheat, as opposed to corn. 

I called the company but they're already closed for the day so I figured I'd post on here to see if anyone already knew. 

Thanks!

- Amanda

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

It is scientifically impossible for gluten to be in distilled anything. Enjoy!

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

Addy is giving you the plain truth..  :)

"The number one frequently asked question concerns vinegar.  All vinegars except for malt vinegar are gluten-free. Distilled vinegar can be derived from a variety of ingredients including apples and rice, and from grains such as corn or wheat. Although distilled vinegar can be made from wheat, the distillation process removes the gluten protein, and the final product does not contain any residual gluten. However, malt vinegar is made from fermented barley and is not distilled; therefore, malt vinegar contains a small amount of gluten and must be avoided by those following the gluten-free diet."

http://www.delightgl...hs#.U2LcAmp93vE

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 meowndy

meowndy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

in response to the comments so far - I appreciate the feed back, but regardless of whether or not there truly is no gluten post distillation process I still react. That is to anything originally from a gluten containing grain, whether it be distilled white vinegar or whiskey.. if it came from wheat/barley/rye/etc.,  I WILL react! 

So again, if anyone simply knows what grain(s) the vinegar in frank's red hot comes from, the info would be much appreciated! :)

#5 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

Then I guess your option is to get ahold of the company tomorrow.

Good Luck

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

and PS

I used Frank's to make wings for super bowl. No problem whatsoever and I am pretty sensitive to gluten.

and their website says this:

: Yes, Frank's RedHot Original, XTRA Hot, Buffalo Wings Sauce, Chile 'n Lime™, Hot Buffalo Wings Sauce, Kickin' BBQ Sauce, Sweet Chili Sauce and Ketchup Style Sauce are gluten free. None of the ingredients used to make Frank's RedHot wing sauce contain any gluten.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#7 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

I know the super sensitives on this forum probably won't eat it, no matter what grain the vinegar is made from. They eat almost no processed foods at all because of their sensitivities.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#8 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

we use Frank's  as well with no problems.. so  maybe you are super  sensitive or  it  could be  another ingredient  that you are  reacting to  but  of  course if it bothers  you avoid it....there  are lots of foods  I react to  that have nothing to do with gluten... I  someties  can eat them on their own  but add another food  & I'm sick...

#9 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

Welcome to the forum, Meowndy.  A fellow crazy cat lady?  When you get a chance take a look at some of the discussions in the Super sensitive category.  There are some things there that you may find helpful since the regular Celiac rules sometimes aren't enough for that group of people.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#10 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:01 AM

While it may be impossible for gluten to get distilled, it is not impossible for gluten in the facility to contaminated the distillate.  The fact that many producers list allergens in a facility on the label would indicate that it can be a problem.  It is very hard to be certain where a reaction originates.

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:53 AM

That may be true (all things seem possible, I suppose) but the fact remains.

No gluten in the product.

People who are very sensitive to gluten are saying "I have used it and it's not a problem"

We could argue "possibilities" all day long", I suppose.

But I'm not willing to do that. I gave up arguing. It's great for reducing stress. ^_^

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

i use it :)  it's gluten free.  also, downright yummy!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#13 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

Franks Red Hot Mixed with Ranch makes a great buffalo dipping sauce for pretty much anything :)  Especially chicken.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#14 Musicmaker

Musicmaker

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:58 PM

My daughter is in the same boat with ketchup, and was told Heinz ketchup was completely gluten free. Distilled vinegar regardless of gluten or not bothers her. I did an experiment and made my own Heinz ketchup at home (YouTube), same ingredients and spices, but used apple cider vinegar. No reaction. So then I made pasta sauce that she normally reacts too with apple cider vinegar, and no reaction again. I'll bet there's a recipe out there for your same hot sauce you could make yourself using apple cider vinegar instead.

#15 meowndy

meowndy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

My daughter is in the same boat with ketchup, and was told Heinz ketchup was completely gluten free. Distilled vinegar regardless of gluten or not bothers her. I did an experiment and made my own Heinz ketchup at home (YouTube), same ingredients and spices, but used apple cider vinegar. No reaction. So then I made pasta sauce that she normally reacts too with apple cider vinegar, and no reaction again. I'll bet there's a recipe out there for your same hot sauce you could make yourself using apple cider vinegar instead.

yes, this is exactly what I'm going through. Great idea, making your own. Maybe i'll make my own and bottle it up so I don't have to worry about it!

Thanks a lot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: