#1 anti-soprano

anti-soprano

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

Hi All,

This question is regarding my 2 year old niece who has been breaking out in hives as of late.  I am a celiac without DH symptoms, my sister is likely a celiac but undiagnosed (gluten free), my niece's paternal grandmother and great grandmother are also celiac.  So the kid is in the middle of a genetic minefield.

Apparently, she has been breaking out mostly at night and wakes up in the morning with hives/rash all over her belly, back, and sometimes her arms and legs depending on how bad it is.  The rash disappears pretty quickly.  The first time they took her into the pediatrician and it was no longer there at that point.  This morning, it disappeared as they were eating breakfast.  She is left with a few random hives throughout the day, but not the all over rash.  She does eat gluten, especially at school and she had a roll last night at dinner.  This could be so many things, but I know very little about DH.  Does it come and go that quickly or does it stick around for long periods of time???

She does have some GI symptoms (Constipation) which is leading me to ask this question..

Thanks for your help!

Shellie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

Hives are generally due to an allergy. Does she have a pet that sleeps in her bed? Anything else she is exposed to overnight that she isn't exposed to any other time? I'm quite familiar with hives (which aren't DH to the best of my knowledge/experience) and it's normal for me to have them crop up, then go within hours once I'm no longer in contact with the allergen that caused them. Faster if I take something.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

When my daughter was sick one weekend, she kept asking for Orange juice. We complied thinking she needed to stay hydrated even though we normally do not allow juice (eat the fruit). She broke out in a rash and took her to Urgent care thinking she had some weird virus. They were not concerned about the rash. It went away. Then a few months later, I was juicing fresh oranges from our abundant tree and she broke out again. Tested her a few days later after the rash had gone and it came back. No OJ for her. She does eat oranges now but in moderation.

Maybe allergies for your niece?
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 anti-soprano

anti-soprano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

Hi Ladies-

The first thing I thought was allergies- most likely something related to food (as a child I broke out in hives to strawberries and chocolate milk and it eventually faded away).  But seeing as though I don't have and therefore aren't familiar with DH along with her genetic chances, I wanted to check.  So I'm assuming that DH sticks around without fading quickly while hives can come and go- is that correct?

#5 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

DH is supposed to be INSANELY itchy and lasts and lasts long after exposure to gluten. Scabs form over the water-filled hives as you scratch even in your sleep. Folks get scars from scratching.

Allergies affecting the skin can be itchy, but I do not think they would be in the insane category. I get hives from the cold that wheal up and itch, but they resolve quickly as do some of my reactions from meds. An antihistamine usually does the trick. Nothing seems to help DH except for strict avoidance.

I am knocking on wood now, hoping that I will never experience DH!
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 anti-soprano

anti-soprano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

DH is supposed to be INSANELY itchy and lasts and lasts long after exposure to gluten. Scabs form over the water-filled hives as you scratch even in your sleep. Folks get scars from scratching.

Allergies affecting the skin can be itchy, but I do not think they would be in the insane category. I get hives from the cold that wheal up and itch, but they resolve quickly as do some of my reactions from meds. An antihistamine usually does the trick. Nothing seems to help DH except for strict avoidance.

Thank you!!  This is exactly what I wanted to know.

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:43 PM

I never realized the rash on my back was DH. It came and went, but never quickly, over the years. My lower back and my neck are covered in scars from scratching until I bled and scratching more. I ruined shirts, and kept scratching. It took it clearing up, then breaking out again once after my diagnosis for me to figure out what it was. It was never large hive sized swollen wheals, it was always small gross, nasty things that made me scratch my skin right off my body. It can be different for other people, but I've never heard of it described like hives which is why I mentioned allergies. (That isn't to say with her genetic jackpot that she shouldn't be being tested periodically.)

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 Rita L

Rita L

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:51 PM

I am knocking on wood now, hoping that I will never experience DH!

The itching and burning is insane. I have scabs forming now. I'm only on my 3rd major breakout but 1st to figure out what it is. I've been working up to this for years but on a much smaller scale. I've been gluten free for years so I need to figure out what my other triggers are. Back to the food diary again....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: