arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does This Mean I'm Going To Be Super Sensitive To Gluten?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kirakisses

Kirakisses

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

I'm new to all this my 2 year old daughter just got her blood work taken yesterday to see if she joining me and my son in world of celiac, and we just got dx'd a week and a half ago but still have gluten food in the house as I was keeping my daughter on it till her blood was taken as it was suggested I go ahead and get her tested on this site.

Me and my son have been doing the best we can with taking it out of our diet the past 4-5 days and trying my best to avoid contaminating our food with sharing a kitchen where there's still lots of gluten... I've been feeling better already and my stomach has not been upset since Tuesday ... For lunch today I gave my daughter some toast and veggies and not thinking forgot to wash my hands and ate my veggies with my hands, also shared a few bites of my yogurt with my daughter, not even an hour later my stomach is very angry with me... So if I've only been gluten free for a few days and got glutened today with quick onset of my what I had come to accept as normal stomachache, does this indicate that I'm going to be really sensitive to gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

Yep! Once your testing has been completed, I would advise eliminating gluten from your house. My husband and I are gluten-free, but my 13 year old is not. I buy her prepackaged gluten foods to take to school. If she wants a burrito or pizza, we stop after school. She eats gluten-free waffles, toast and bagels in the house and begs for gluten-free cupcakes and cookies over any store or bakery bought gluten goodies. I do make her noodles, but she has a dedicated pot, spin and colander and I do all the cooking and clean up.

It is just too hard to keep gluten in the house for me. I kept gluten in the house for 12 years when my husband was just gluten free, but it is so much easier to be 98% (noodles). I typically host most family parties too. Easier for everyone.
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Kirakisses

Kirakisses

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the fast response, I do plan on making the house gluten free once we get her results regardless of what it says but just haven't gotten around to it and not sure if the dr would want to scope her so was holding off until her test is back sometime next week... I don't think my stomach was ever this upset when I was eating gluten all the time and it has now added in some cramps/pain to join in the I wanna puke feeling urg!

#4 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

In my opinion, it doesn't necessarily mean that what you described means you are super sensitive.  You probably ingested more than 20 parts per million by making the toast, feeding it to your daughter, sharing the veggies and eating with your hands without washing them.

You could get glutened from kissing your daughter, unless you brush her teeth, wipe off her face and wash your hands first.  Toast = crumbs, = gluten.  

You can't wash your hands too often.  My roomie is not gluten-free, and any time he starts to prepare food I ask him if he washed his hands.  We got a college dorm  sized refrigerator for his bedroom, and he eats his gluten  in there.  I won't eat off other people's grills because the toast buns when they grill burgers.  

l

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#5 NatureChick

NatureChick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

I had what I considered strong reactions to minute amounts for the first six months or so. It normally started with irritability, four hours later the headache would start, and the next day would be all headache and brain fog. Sometimes it would take 2 days to fade back to normal, sometimes 4-5.

But after those first couple months, and after I got better at avoiding minute contaminations, my reaction calmed down quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, I can still tell when there are too many parts per million in a product being sold as gluten free, but it isn't the same sort of reaction that I had initially. 

Early on, I would compare the miserableness to how you feel when you are sick with a cold or flu - might still be able to function, but really don't want to. After the first six months, it was more a matter of one or two of my old gluten symptoms (an ear ache is the first for me) shows up for a day and I notice it enough to track down suspect foods, but am not bothered otherwise.

I imagine it as if my autoimmune system were a bunch of security guards. When we were having gluten break ins on a daily basis, they were out on patrol with guns drawn, night-vision goggles on, and they were trigger happy with their tasers. Now that we haven't seen gluten in a while, they are relaxed, sitting around watching TV, telling stories, and a little bit of gluten slips in here and there unnoticed until the security footage is reviewed the next day.

But I've also never had the type of gluten reaction that makes you nauseous or sick to your stomach. And all of my comments above refer to minute cross contamination, not full-on glutenings. 

#6 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:33 AM

I don't think  that this is a sure indication that you are going to be super sensitive.  Then again, I'm not sure what you mean by super sensitive.  If you mean not being able eat processed foods, I would say that is jumping to conclusions.  I agree with Marilyn R that you could have accidentally ingested quite a bit with your actions.  You could still be able to eat all those gluten free goodies you find in the stores.

#7 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:44 AM

I am not sure I understood the poster's question properly. I assumed that the poster was worried about small amounts of gluten from cross contamination in her still gluten-containing kitchen causing symptoms. I think five days in is too soon to determine if she is a super sensitive celiac. Would you agree?

Reading the newbie section under "Coping" should help as it contains valuable tips!
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#8 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,619 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:52 AM

I think that it is too soon to worry about " super sensitive", whatever her idea of it is. Also, I don't think the level of cc she is getting is a super sensitive, extremely sensitive, pull my hair out in frustration, whatever you want to call it, level of crumbs. I think that level of crumbs and probably some others she is getting without realizing it, would cause most Celiacs problems.

So....no I don't think you are extra sensitive to gluten at this point. I think you are normally sensitive to gluten.

I think it takes at least a few weeks to get new habits and figure out new procedures. You don't erase 12 years of licking the PB knife after making a sandwich in 1 day! I am speaking from experience here! :)

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#9 Kirakisses

Kirakisses

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for all the replies, by super sensitive I'm mean like if I ingest the smallest amount of gluten I'll be I'll for days to follow sorry for not being clear, I'm still getting the hang if all of this.. My worst symptoms are having an upset stomach and migraines that last for days... I've read the newbie thread but perhaps I should reread it once kids are in bed so I'm not doing a million things while trying to read it. I'm also reading as many of the posts on here as I can to get as much info as possible and looking into local groups to possibly help with the whole transition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: