26 replies to this topic

#16 StephanieL

StephanieL

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:23 AM

It does look like elevated ttg can mean other things besides gluten in the diet: http://www.curecelia...sent-in-my-diet

Do any of those things apply?

That's my concern and what I'm trying to figure out. His labs are all WNL except for the tTG's being elevated still.

On top of all this I crushed the kids dreams today. Through a round about discussion I informed him he will never be able to join the military (he's said forever he wanted to be an Air Force Pilot). Now I'm sure he'll change him mind a million times before he's grown but this was bad, sad and right before school. Kid was in tears as was I.  :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:47 AM

That's my concern and what I'm trying to figure out. His labs are all WNL except for the tTG's being elevated still.

On top of all this I crushed the kids dreams today. Through a round about discussion I informed him he will never be able to join the military (he's said forever he wanted to be an Air Force Pilot). Now I'm sure he'll change him mind a million times before he's grown but this was bad, sad and right before school. Kid was in tears as was I.   :(

Maybe not the Air Force, but there are ways he can get the "military " experience.  ROTC in high school.  Depending on your area, but there are civil air patrols - my cousin did one in high school.  They like the HS kids for search and rescue - they are spotters in the planes or helicopters.  Some fire departments have junior firefighters if you take some training.  Police departments do ride alongs.   Parks/forestry departments have stuff.  When they are 18 they can fight wildfires - my son's friends said they were no where close to the fire.  Mostly clearing brush so the fire couldn't advance & hauling water and protein bars.

Maybe you could look up the ROTC in the high school near you and show him that when he gets home if he is still bummed?  

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#18 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:56 AM

Thanks.  He's still young but those are great ideas to show him!  I just feel like such a jerk right now.  Like I said I've been so worried as is and now this :( I knew we would cross these things but...  I also know that in the next few years there is an expected shift in thinking about allergies too where they start to understand the ramification more. I just feel sunk right now :(

#19 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:02 AM

Thanks.  He's still young but those are great ideas to show him!  I just feel like such a jerk right now.  Like I said I've been so worried as is and now this :( I knew we would cross these things but...  I also know that in the next few years there is an expected shift in thinking about allergies too where they start to understand the ramification more. I just feel sunk right now :(

You can turn this around.  Focus on being a pilot -- no problem there.  If he stays focused on the military aspect -- take him to an airfield -- just sit and watch the planes -- quiet time and perfect to explain that we don't know everything about celiac yet -- luckily he has many years to grow strong and healthy while improvements are made thru science and education.  Way too early to say he can't be in the Air Force.

IMHO : )

Hang in there Mom!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#20 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:09 AM

I did tell him we have time and that perhaps things will change by the time he's old enough.  I said maybe they will change the rules or perhaps there may be medicine to help but we just don't know yet.  Always hope!  

#21 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:19 AM

You can go to flight schools at 15? 16?  Its expensive - $10,000 to go all the way to a license.  I have seen a program where you can just take a few lessons and not get a license, too.  Not sure about your budget, but it might be something to save for? 

This is one near me.  For $110 you can go up and see what is involved in flying.  Of course, it could make him more interested.   :(

http://www.kcac.com/...flight-academy/

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#22 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:20 AM

I did tell him we have time and that perhaps things will change by the time he's old enough.  I said maybe they will change the rules or perhaps there may be medicine to help but we just don't know yet.  Always hope!  

great kids need repetition -- keep on that train of thought

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#23 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

On top of all this I crushed the kids dreams today. Through a round about discussion I informed him he will never be able to join the military (he's said forever he wanted to be an Air Force Pilot). Now I'm sure he'll change him mind a million times before he's grown but this was bad, sad and right before school. Kid was in tears as was I.   :(

awww  :( this made me tear up.  my son has diabetes type 1 - he was diagnosed at age 19, when he was still deciding whether he was wanting to join the military.  his sister is in the air force and he thinks it's awesome.  when he got his dx, that option came right off the table.  he is still a little wistful about it.  anyways, he got his dx, and he floundered!  he ate what he shouldn't have, his sugar was out of control and we didn't see him from day to day because he was away at school.  now that he's been home for a few years, he has taken charge of it.  he eats low carb, calculates his food intake, works out and runs everyday.   he had to figure out that he was strong enough to own it, do you know what i mean?  just like any other kid (and i know, mine is not 7) with a disability, you have to build them up.  their (and ours, too) handicap makes them more, not less :)  we have to be sharper and more clever and creative -  we have to be more educated than the average eater, therefore more knowledgeable than joe cheeseburger.  that makes us (and him) actually, forces us to treat our bodies better, which is so smart :)  

he is awesome!  we can do it!  different isn't less!  :D

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#24 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:15 AM

So true Arlene!

just a side note -- in case you haven't figured this out -- took me a while with my boys -- having never been a 7 year old male -- after you said "no military" he heard nothing else in the conversation -- he may have seemed engaged, but I can all but guarantee he didn't hear anything but "NO Air Force".  Thus the need for repeat conversations -- preferably during a quiet walk or other such activity away from our busy lives.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#25 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

Aw.  :( Poor guy.

Is there anything like a cadets program where you are? It could be a Canadian thing... Anyway, Cadets starts at age 12 up here, and one can join army, sea or air cadets.  It is very military run with learning to shoot, sail, fly and all sorts of stuff.  My 11 year old joined the junior Naval cadets (ages 9-12) and loves it. They do lots of marching, standing at attention, learning naval information, going to camps (band, shooting, general, etc), and some join extra sections like band or guard. This spring they get to learn how to sail.... for free!  An awesome experience for someone who likes the military.

What about being a spy?  That stuff is almost as cool.  We have one young friend who is determined to join CSIS and is teaching himself french so he will be prepared. LOL

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#26 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:48 AM

I really appreciate all your help/advice and stories!  I think I hit the overwhelmed wall between dealing with the fluctuations in his numbers, this conversation this morning, my husbands lack of getting it, my own questioning if I should be questioning things and I'm normal this week ;)

Your suggestions are all amazing. I am going to see how things go after school and he has a performance tonight for his class Moosical (yeah and the milk allergic kid gets to sing all about how awesome milk is  :blink:  lol).  I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind and see what happens!

#27 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:34 AM

I'm pretty sure that you can pilot gliders even younger.  My brothers did that.  This says you can solo at age 14: http://www.ssa.org/L...ingToFlyGliders

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: