Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Do You Emotionally Deal With Setbacks?

setback glutened

• Please log in to reply

102 replies to this topic

#1 icelandgirl

icelandgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:54 AM

I'm wondering how everyone else deals emotionally with setbacks you encounter during your recovery?

I've been doing so well for over a month...yay!  I was diagnosed in January, had a rough beginning.  But for a little over a month was doing great.  I would talk about how good I was feeling, how I hadn't even realized how bad it had been until I saw all of the improvements,  I felt like I really got the label reading, cooking, etc. down.  I was exercising again.

And then last Wednesday I started feeling bad again.  By Thursday I was doing the run to the bathroom up to 15 times a day...exhausted...foggy...headache. All of the usual stuff.  I analyzed everything that I had eaten and realized that I had added 2 things into my eating that I hadn't had....almond flour and Ghiradelli chocolate chips.  I bought the chips because a recipe called for bittersweet and I didn't see any from Nestle.  Looking into it I see that they are made in a shared facility.  So, I guess I got too confident, didn't check something out and am suffering for it.  :(

I am having a really difficult time with this emotionally.  I feel mad and sad and all of that stuff.  The setbacks in this journey of celiac disease are so harsh and devastating.  They take such a toll.

How do you deal with it?  Get through it?

Thanks!

January 2014-Celiac
August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:16 AM

It is okay to feel all those things -- can't imagine any of us didn't go through rough patches during the early days and beyond.

You feel crappy, but this will improve. 

For now, lots of water and rest when you are able -- treat yourself to something (non-food) that you love.  A nice bath, a good movie...a walk with music I love blaring in my ears are things that help adjust my attitude. 

Hang in there...it gets better, but not always as quickly as we'd like :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

I can relate. I think we all have been there. Avoiding gluten is such a learning curve, but it doable. I think it is worse when you have glutened someone else. My husband was gluten free years before me. I glutened him plenty of times! Even with my experience, I have glutened myself!

Grieving is a given. It is a lot to give up and I am not talking food but the freedom to walk into any restaurant and order anything without grilling the waitress. I have done a lot of grieving this year. First for celiac disease, then for my vertebrae fractures that occurred from doing nothing (celiac disease related) and recently diabetes.

You will start to feel better soon. Have a cup of tea or coffee and baby yourself this week.

I am going for that second cup!
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

Set backs happen even when you do everything right. Those first six months can be a real up and down roller coaster ride as you body starts to get well. I had a big set back after being gluten-free for a few months, and it really brought me down, but I waited it out and came out healthier... if not quite fed up.  LOL

Hang in there. I'm betting that by the end of the summer, it will be pretty smooth sailing for you. :)

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#5 icelandgirl

icelandgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

It is okay to feel all those things -- can't imagine any of us didn't go through rough patches during the early days and beyond.

You feel crappy, but this will improve. 

For now, lots of water and rest when you are able -- treat yourself to something (non-food) that you love.  A nice bath, a good movie...a walk with music I love blaring in my ears are things that help adjust my attitude. 

Hang in there...it gets better, but not always as quickly as we'd like :)

Thanks, Lisa.  I sure hope it gets better.  It was such a good feeling when I saw all the improvement that this just threw me way off.

January 2014-Celiac
August 2014- Hashimoto's

Bob Marley

#6 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

Thanks, Lisa.  I sure hope it gets better.  It was such a good feeling when I saw all the improvement that this just threw me way off.

It will :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#7 icelandgirl

icelandgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

Set backs happen even when you do everything right. Those first six months can be a real up and down roller coaster ride as you body starts to get well. I had a big set back after being gluten-free for a few months, and it really brought me down, but I waited it out and came out healthier... if not quite fed up.  LOL

Hang in there. I'm betting that by the end of the summer, it will be pretty smooth sailing for you. :)

That's good to hear.  :)  It is certainly a roller coaster ride...an exhausting one!  How long did it take you to get through your big setback?  How long until you felt really good on a regular basis?

January 2014-Celiac
August 2014- Hashimoto's

Bob Marley

#8 icelandgirl

icelandgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

I can relate. I think we all have been there. Avoiding gluten is such a learning curve, but it doable. I think it is worse when you have glutened someone else. My husband was gluten free years before me. I glutened him plenty of times! Even with my experience, I have glutened myself!

Grieving is a given. It is a lot to give up and I am not talking food but the freedom to walk into any restaurant and order anything without grilling the waitress. I have done a lot of grieving this year. First for celiac disease, then for my vertebrae fractures that occurred from doing nothing (celiac disease related) and recently diabetes.

You will start to feel better soon. Have a cup of tea or coffee and baby yourself this week.

I am going for that second cup!

I really want to baby myself and just crawl in bed under a blanket.  I've got 3 kids including a 2 year old, so I get very little chance to do that.  Another cup of tea is definitely coming up right now though. 

January 2014-Celiac
August 2014- Hashimoto's

Bob Marley

#9 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

I'm wondering how everyone else deals emotionally with setbacks you encounter during your recovery?

I've been doing so well for over a month...yay!  I was diagnosed in January, had a rough beginning.  But for a little over a month was doing great.  I would talk about how good I was feeling, how I hadn't even realized how bad it had been until I saw all of the improvements,  I felt like I really got the label reading, cooking, etc. down.  I was exercising again.

And then last Wednesday I started feeling bad again.  By Thursday I was doing the run to the bathroom up to 15 times a day...exhausted...foggy...headache. All of the usual stuff.  I analyzed everything that I had eaten and realized that I had added 2 things into my eating that I hadn't had....almond flour and Ghiradelli chocolate chips.  I bought the chips because a recipe called for bittersweet and I didn't see any from Nestle.  Looking into it I see that they are made in a shared facility.  So, I guess I got too confident, didn't check something out and am suffering for it.  :(

I am having a really difficult time with this emotionally.  I feel mad and sad and all of that stuff.  The setbacks in this journey of celiac disease are so harsh and devastating.  They take such a toll.

How do you deal with it?  Get through it?

Thanks!

I highly doubt that there was any gluten in the chocolate chips.  Ghirardelli does an excellent job during manufacturing and I eat these same ones every time I make cookies and have never gotten sick once in 9 years gluten-free.  I am an extremely sensitive celiac also.  You have not been gluten-free for very long at all......and these chocolate chips are very rich so maybe your system just couldn't handle it right now.  You will find that you may have reactions in the beginning for awhile with foods that are on the rich side and do not contain gluten.  I consider Ghirardelli one of the safest companies out there for gluten free chocolate.  Plus, shared facility is different than shared lines.

I hope you feel better but do not sweat this at all.  It is not a setback, just a little blip in the big scheme of things.  You will continue to heal but have to accept that once in a while, something will not agree with you and it will take more than 4 months to feel tons better.  This is what we all go through and it will get better.  Now go and have another cuppa tea!  :)

#10 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

I hope you feel better but do not sweat this at all.  It is not a setback, just a little blip in the big scheme of things.  You will continue to heal but have to accept that once in a while, something will not agree with you and it will take more than 4 months to feel tons better.  This is what we all go through and it will get better.  Now go and have another cuppa tea!  :)

I like that - it is not really a setback but just a blip... well put. :)

That's good to hear.  :)  It is certainly a roller coaster ride...an exhausting one!  How long did it take you to get through your big setback?  How long until you felt really good on a regular basis?

My blip was a return to fatigue, hair loss and a major bout of joint pain. It hit me at about 2 months gluten free and was done within about 3 months. It was a nasty one, but on the bright side it was my last nasty bout of pain.  I have had a few mild blips since then, in fact my fingers have been bothering me for a few weeks now, but it is no where near as severe as that last blip, or ones I had while still consuming gluten.

At 6-9 months gluten-free, I was feeling quite a bit better. Since that time, I my health improvements have slowed a fair bit, but it is still much better than I was three years ago.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#11 icelandgirl

icelandgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

I like that - it is not really a setback but just a blip... well put. :)

My blip was a return to fatigue, hair loss and a major bout of joint pain. It hit me at about 2 months gluten free and was done within about 3 months. It was a nasty one, but on the bright side it was my last nasty bout of pain.  I have had a few mild blips since then, in fact my fingers have been bothering me for a few weeks now, but it is no where near as severe as that last blip, or ones I had while still consuming gluten.

At 6-9 months gluten-free, I was feeling quite a bit better. Since that time, I my health improvements have slowed a fair bit, but it is still much better than I was three years

Thank you for sharing that...it's nice to hear that kind of stuff because it gives me hope.

January 2014-Celiac
August 2014- Hashimoto's

Bob Marley

#12 icelandgirl

icelandgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

I highly doubt that there was any gluten in the chocolate chips.  Ghirardelli does an excellent job during manufacturing and I eat these same ones every time I make cookies and have never gotten sick once in 9 years gluten-free.  I am an extremely sensitive celiac also.  You have not been gluten-free for very long at all......and these chocolate chips are very rich so maybe your system just couldn't handle it right now.  You will find that you may have reactions in the beginning for awhile with foods that are on the rich side and do not contain gluten.  I consider Ghirardelli one of the safest companies out there for gluten free chocolate.  Plus, shared facility is different than shared lines.

First off, love that you called it a blip.  :)   I will now be using that to talk about it too.

Interesting about Ghiradelli...I just couldn't figure out what else it could have been...so I guess I assumed.  I just want to know so I don't do it again, ya know.  I don't really want another blip.  I've felt bad for 6 days now.  Ugh!

January 2014-Celiac
August 2014- Hashimoto's

Bob Marley

#13 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

First off, love that you called it a blip.  :)   I will now be using that to talk about it too.

Interesting about Ghiradelli...I just couldn't figure out what else it could have been...so I guess I assumed.  I just want to know so I don't do it again, ya know.  I don't really want another blip.  I've felt bad for 6 days now.  Ugh!

Are you sensitive to dairy also?  I am not sure if the bittersweet contains dairy but that's another possibility.  I would wait before trying any rich chocolate....at least until you feel better.  I know how frustrating that can be but the good news is that, after time, you should be able to tolerate these types of foods again.  I have been gluten-free for 9 years now so can tolerate so much more than in the beginning.  It did not take 9 years to do that, either, so don't panic.  ;)  You will also bounce back faster, if you do take a hit or eat something that makes you feel off.  A Celiac's tummy is just more sensitive and sometimes, for unknown reasons, things bother us.  I hate that too! 

Feel better soon!

#14 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

you might want to try a food journal for a little while :)  i found it very helpful, even to identify sources of irritation other than gluten.  plus, when i did get hit (alot!  in the beginning) it helped me track my symptoms/to know what to expect.   (for the next time ha ha)    lots of water, naps........  feel better :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

I still recall when I was not doing so well during the first year (off and on) and Gemini would tell me "it's just a blip"

and then we would talk about other things and laugh. Since then, we have become the very best of friends, so I will say this:

Listen to this wise woman!

Blips pass. I promise, it gets better.  Take it from a former serial  "blip girl".... :D

Be good to yourself. As Ski says, lots of water, rest when you can and know that you are already recovering.

Onward and upward.

P.S. If it makes you feel any better, when I get hit (and we all do--even the veterans!) it passes more quickly than it did at the beginning. (still hate the joint pain and the hair loss--but that's just my "special thing" from our nemesis gluten)

Hang tough, kiddo.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: