Jump to content

Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            




   arrowShare this page:
   

   Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

 
Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    


Photo
- - - - -

Frustrated With Co-Parent


  • Please log in to reply

37 replies to this topic

#31 DinaZ

 
DinaZ

    New Community Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
 

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:30 AM

I am one of the "silent" cases for sure, so I did voice the same concerns as you all are pointing out. Not only is she not showing severe symptoms, but she is also on track for her growth charts and her numbers are slightly above normal (not in the 100s). The decision to hold off was not made lightly! The hope is that her numbers may normalize. 

 

The co-parent does need some education on it, however, without very strong direction from the specialists at Children's nothing is going to change. I can give him as much information as possible, I can preach until I'm blue in the face.

 

Thanks for caring! It's so nice to have a community like this!!

Christina-I feel for you guys. Is there anything you can do through legal channels?


  • 0

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 DinaZ

 
DinaZ

    New Community Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
 

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:35 AM

I think it's time for a new doctor and get her tested. There should be no reason for a doctor not to test if there is suspicion that she has celiac.


  • 0

#33 Christina.V

 
Christina.V

    Community Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
 

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

Labs have different ranges. In this case <15 is a negative. So the 27.6 number on the TTG IgA is not "highly" elevated. The recommendation is coming from two of the top specialists in Colorado. I think I said this before, but the worry is that we actually have caught it too soon to tell, and that long term a false negative diagnosis will be more detrimental than holding off. I agree, because IF she does have celiacs and gets a false negative, the co-parent will fight me on getting her re-tested in the future.

 

I am actually comfortable with waiting for 6 months. We share custody 50/50 and have shared decision making as well. I don't see how a judge would dictate that the endoscopy be ran with so much medical advice to the contrary. I was extremely frustrated a couple months ago BEFORE we met with the doctors. They said they've seen these numbers go back to normal over a short period of time, hence the 6 months. I'm hopeful that they do.


  • 0

#34 beth01

 
beth01

    Advanced Community Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
 

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

I think that people are going to have different opinions for two different reasons:

1. They have children with celiac and have been through the testing before ( some with a co-parent).

2. The degree in which they are sick if they are Celiac themselves.

 

I don't know much about Celiac and it's testing, I was just diagnosed two months ago.  I was a lab tech for 16 years but didn't work in immunology so I didn't deal with a lot of testing dealing with autoimmune disorders. I know different labs use different methodologies and instrumentation so that could be why the normal values are different.  For Mayo in Rochester the values are <4 - >100.  I don't know if my doctor would consider a 12.6 increase from the normal range significant or not.

 

I can't state if I would be comfortable with the waiting six months, but I would be asking questions like:

Should we be trying to figure out why her tTg IgA is elevated ( if even only slightly) when only disorders and conditions like chronic liver disease, diabetes, crohn's, colitis, thyroiditis, and serious infection can cause the slightly elevated test result if it isn't Celiac?  Won't these conditions and disorders also cause long term health problems ( if not death) if not caught, or is it fine in 6 months to do that testing also?  One lab draw would at least rule out the liver disease, diabetes, thyroiditis, and infection.  Those would be the ones to worry about waiting 6 months for a diagnosis. Just my opinion.

 

I understand you wanting to wait since you have problems with the co-parent and I feel your pain and I am glad you are comfortable with it.  Thankfully when I called my ex to first tell him I wanted the kids tested he didn't fight me on it, and when I called him to tell him my 11 year olds test was positive he let me take the reigns and help him figure out to go gluten free( which I wish I wouldn't have done and waited until her tolerance test but I didn't know she needed one). I asked the GP if I should have her gluten free and he told me yes. I didn't now until the ped's GI called two weeks after her diagnosis to schedule an appointment that they want the endoscopy. The said we would discuss it at her appointment if they want her to do the challenge, by then it will have been two months for her gluten-free. I had a biopsy and blood drawn all on the same day and didn't know just how they went about it in patients that weren't in the hospital. But then again I think he gave in so easy since I have been sick for years and am slowly wasting away still even after a diagnosis, he sees it.

 

Good luck to both you and your daughter and Welcome to the club.  I hope you get the answers for her and it causes the least discomfort for her and in turn you.  It's rough to see your children sick.


  • 0
Diagnosed April 7th 2014

#35 nvsmom

 
nvsmom

    Moderator

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
 

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

I didn't reaize the upper limit of her lab was 15 - she's almost double the upper limit.... that's getting beyond slightly elevated


  • 0
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#36 beth01

 
beth01

    Advanced Community Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
 

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

My thoughts exactly. 


  • 0
Diagnosed April 7th 2014

#37 Christina.V

 
Christina.V

    Community Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
 

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

Per the docs it's "slightly elevated" -- they are looking at >100 as being "highly elevated"

 

It's all in the interpretation I suppose!


  • 0

#38 come dance with me

 
come dance with me

    Advanced Community Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
 

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:59 AM

If you reduce the gluten intake, that could also skew results.  I'd be keeping her on a full gluten diet and getting it done ASAP, that advice sounds absurd.


  • 0
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: