28 replies to this topic

#16 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

Great to hear!  Do you have a high enough magnesium level?

Dee

I really don't know. In 2011, I began taking a liquid magnesium bicarbonate to help me sleep and that's around the time that the arrhythmia started. I was suspicious and took it into the cardiologist I was sent to at that time. He brushed it off when I asked him if it could have an impact on the heart. However, last year when I was told my heart beat was slow, I showed it to my current doctor and she said it could absolutely have an impact so I stopped taking it in the hopes that my heart rate would improve before May (that's how long I was told I could wait before seeing a cardiologist).

I'll ask this new cardiologist about magnesium next time I see her.
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

For me, I am always happy to have more tests done rather than less.

I've had everything you are listing and all were normal with minor issues related to my thyroid tests that have now corrected themselves.

Get the tests and strive to be patient waiting for results....again I know easier said than done.

As for the hubs...being a sounding board for him may help his stress level which in turn lowers your stress level. Limiting stress really isn't about eliminating all stressors...that is not possible unless you are a very isolated person...which can also increase stress.

Sorry...hope that makes sense.

Hang in there :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#18 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

For me, I am always happy to have more tests done rather than less.
I've had everything you are listing and all were normal with minor issues related to my thyroid tests that have now corrected themselves.
Get the tests and strive to be patient waiting for results....again I know easier said than done.
As for the hubs...being a sounding board for him may help his stress level which in turn lowers your stress level. Limiting stress really isn't about eliminating all stressors...that is not possible unless you are a very isolated person...which can also increase stress.
Sorry...hope that makes sense.
Hang in there :)

Yes it does make sense. Thank you.
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

#19 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

Yes it does make sense. Thank you.

I love it when that happens ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#20 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

I love it when that happens ;)

Yes, dumbstruck is definitely a better place. Thanks again! :) :-o

#21 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

Just a few days before my appointment, I told my husband I couldn't be his sounding board right now. He has a stressful job and I've always listened and supported but it leaves me tired and stressed.

Good for you! He can reroute that in another direction... like to another coworker. You have enough on your plate.

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#22 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:09 PM

Good for you! He can reroute that in another direction... like to another coworker. You have enough on your plate.

Thank you :) I wish he had co-workers. That's the rub. However, the request seems to have had a positive impact on us both so far. Better for the heart? :) It's curious. In the meantime, a friend of mine just had a heart attack and he's not going to make it. What a crazy time this is. I feel like I'm floating through space right now.

I haven't started the sleep test yet. A lady who hadn't seen me in two months told me today that I looked healthier and had more color in my face. That is encouraging.

Time for bed.

#23 jordan shulak

jordan shulak

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:42 AM

I hope it's nothing too serious. (hugs)

I know thyroid issues can mess with your heart rate and cause palpitations. Maybe that's something to look at too? Just throwing a thought out there.

Hang in there. I think those of us who research health issues and actively search out health solutions have the problem that we read what COULD be wrong and scare ourselves with worst case scenarios. We have read how bad things can be, but we usually are not the worst case out there.  I was personally pretty convinced that I had lupus, but it turned out to be celiac complications - so still annoying but not as life changing.  Recently I was worried about acromegaly as my growth hormones were way off the charts but it seems to have been a blip of some sort, and I still have no idea why it was high.

Chances are it's not a life threatening thing.  Try not to worry too much right now when you don't know what it is.... I know, I know.  That's much easier said than done, isn't it?

Hang in there.

I was just curious if you could share what was going on that you thought you had lupus but it was celiac related?  The reason I ask is that I was diagnosed with Celiac in April of 2012 but my mom refused to get tested because "she's never had any problems with her stomach" which I tried explaining that doesn't have anything to do with it but she wouldn't listen.  Now she's breaking out in splotchy redness all over her face - big red spots - and the dermatologist told her she might have lupus.  She noticed that when she ate bread it was worse so I told her to watch what she was eating and when the break outs occurred - but then she avoided bread for a day and still had a break out so now she doesn't thing bread/gluten has anything to do with it.  I am insisting she get tested for Celiac because she might have it or DH.  They are going to do a full work up but they leaning towards Lupus.  Anything you can share would be helpful for me to share with her.  I appreciate it!  

#24 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

Sorry to hear about your friend CS. The timing is so poignant. It really puts things into perspective when these things happen, sort of takes the wind out of you.

That was nice someone said you look healthier. Encouraging!

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#25 ezgoindude

ezgoindude

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

Good evening!

I'm still undiagnosed but I have a close relationship with unknown heart palpitations Calisparrow, and although I think we have very different symptoms maybe saying what I had/have can help?

At my worst I was an insomniac 2 hours of sleep was the longest I could get in, heart palpitations off of any easy amount of work/stress, and palpitations shortly after eating (I was still eating gluten at the time.... genius).   As my doctor put me on the fodmap/no gluten diet i noticed the palps would reduce, but I noticed the palps return when my heart would be slower?  (that's what it would feel like)

Shortly before my colonoscopy they had my heart rate on the screen and I was showing 46bpm (I'm 25 years old, not an athlete)

I started taking powdered magnesium as doc thought gi problems/possible thyroid.   Drinking magnesium would really help the stress, and my palps dropped to a few times every hour, but I noticed my bpm was dropping to around 40bpm.

EKG comes back as sinus bradycardia with sinus arythmia, doc tells me i'm a healthy young person and should be thankful.  I did not like that answer considering how I feel.  thyroid/hormones/CBC came back normal.

Come 6 months later, I am 99.9% palp free.  I occassionally get them if i'm gassey,  I'm currently using a paleo-ish diet while I still see what I have, and I no longer take magnesium.   My bpm averages just under 55bpm.  My heart palpitation battle was close to 7 months before it seemed to slowly get better.

Again I do know if any of this is of any real help but just wanted you to know it randomly scared still scares the hell of me too!

Summer 2010 - Loose stools, insomnia, doc blames IBS, continues for years

Sept 2013 - extremely ill like flu, inflamed eyes, loosing weight

Feb 2014 - fecal calprotectin 151, colonoscopy/endoscopy clear, duodenum looked flat,

complete celiac blood panel negative

July 2014 - CT scan with barium normal,  new GI currently pushing eosinophilic disorder with possible NCGI, hasen't concluded to anything.

May 2014 - HLA DQ2A1*05:01/05:05 POSITIVE, one copy

HLA DQ2B1*02:01/02:02 POSITIVE, two copies

June 2014 - undiagnosed, much improvement on autoimmune paleo diet, gluten/dairy/soy intolerant.

currently on an extreme elimination diet, I'm fairly active I use this topic as my journal:  celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/109377-tips-for-my-elimination-diet-my-progress-so-far-has-been-confusing-and-probiotics-feel-like-dropping-a-grenade-in-a-mineshaft-full-of-fireworks/#entry930840

#26 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

Thank you for your replies everybody.

My cardiologist says I have a mild-moderate leak in my tricuspid valve that needs to be monitored. I'm full of symptoms right now and seeing my regular doctor tomorrow. Don't know if the summer heat plays in (and I'm sure stress does) but it feels like I have hot stickers rattling through my body. It's truly shaking me down. I am having difficulty turning down the internal heat and have become fearful of it. I'm rubbing my thymus, drinking cucumber water and sarsaparilla tea. I put my feet in water and am cooled. I am eating every three hours to reduce stress to my adrenals. Those hot stickers go through my heart and I'm concerned about inflammation. It feels like something I should get under control immediately. Saturday my head felt like it had fallen asleep and I was so scared from the symptoms, I was in bed all day (that was before getting my echo results). It makes me wonder if I have another AI or if I'm having adrenal issues. I have no idea.

Most of all, I feel desperate to reduce the inflammation in my body because I know it's not good for the heart. I had reintroduced some intolerant foods in March and it's been downhill ever since. I am back on my safe foods only but am having symptoms with some of those now. Any suggestions for reducing inflammation would be appreciated. It feels crucial.

*Edit: And no, I did not shoot up with street drugs. That previous cardiologist told me not to shoot up with street drugs and I'd be fine. No follow up. No nothing. What a jerk.

#27 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:51 AM

I've been doing testing for irregular heartbeats this week.  Same kind of thing, feeling butterflies/bubbles in my chest.  Wore the Holter Monitor for 24 hours and it confirmed I have some irregular heartbeats, about 10% of my beats are "off".  Since I'm also recently diagnosed with Celiac and Sleep Apnea, my Dr. wants to wait to start any meds, beta blockers, to see if going off gluten and getting better sleep help.  I am tired ALL the time.  I wish I could sleep for 12 hours...but even then, I probably would still be tired.  They decided to check me when my heart rate was 35 while doing my sleep study.  With my Monitor, my heart rates were between 40-81, with activity, walked about 5 miles during the day with it on, including climbing several flights of stairs.

I'm not sure where you live, but when you have multiple conditions, it might be worth a trip to Mayo to have everything checked out at once.  My endo discovered my Celiacs during a "lets just make sure" test order.  They will check everything, run tests you probably have never heard of and try to get to the bottom of things for you.  It's an amazing place and I just can't recommend their medical model enough when you have multiple issues.  Typically they check you in on a Monday morning and you will get a physical and discuss your history and reasons for being there.  They will make recommendations about testing and other dr's to see.  Usually you spend an hour or so doing that.  Then they do the actual physical exam and if they find something else, etc. they add that.  By the time you are dressed and ready to talk to the dr again, you have a multi-page itinerary for your next several days with your lab work, dr appointments, etc. on there.  Appointments are added and deleted during your stay as necessary.  I"d suggest starting with an appointment with the endocrinology department, mainly because they act at a "primary" doctor and since your endocrine system may be suspect, you have to start somewhere :D.   During my visit I've met with my endo, 3 GI dr's, 2 dietitians, did a sleep study, met with the sleep team to learn about using a CPAP (which has helped a lot), had 7 pages of labs done, an endoscope, bone density testing, cardiology consult......you get the idea :D.  Good luck!!!

#28 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:14 AM

My inflammation seemed to have been related to my lymph system reacting to foods added back to my diet.  I thought back to when I got sick and tried to eat only foods that I had not eaten during the coarse of my illness.  I found new foods and ate them.  It seems to be working.  If you know which foods you have antibodies to, you can stop eating them.

To move lymph, exercise is a good thing I have learned.  I started with squats, sit-ups and push ups.  I began a rebounding routine.  In the summer I need to skip that at times.  I garden and walk the kitchen to freeze the produce.

#29 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:28 AM

My inflammation seemed to have been related to my lymph system reacting to foods added back to my diet. I thought back to when I got sick and tried to eat only foods that I had not eaten during the coarse of my illness. I found new foods and ate them. It seems to be working. If you know which foods you have antibodies to, you can stop eating them.

To move lymph, exercise is a good thing I have learned. I started with squats, sit-ups and push ups. I began a rebounding routine. In the summer I need to skip that at times. I garden and walk the kitchen to freeze the produce.

I've been doing testing for irregular heartbeats this week. Same kind of thing, feeling butterflies/bubbles in my chest. Wore the Holter Monitor for 24 hours and it confirmed I have some irregular heartbeats, about 10% of my beats are "off". Since I'm also recently diagnosed with Celiac and Sleep Apnea, my Dr. wants to wait to start any meds, beta blockers, to see if going off gluten and getting better sleep help. I am tired ALL the time. I wish I could sleep for 12 hours...but even then, I probably would still be tired. They decided to check me when my heart rate was 35 while doing my sleep study. With my Monitor, my heart rates were between 40-81, with activity, walked about 5 miles during the day with it on, including climbing several flights of stairs.

I'm not sure where you live, but when you have multiple conditions, it might be worth a trip to Mayo to have everything checked out at once. My endo discovered my Celiacs during a "lets just make sure" test order. They will check everything, run tests you probably have never heard of and try to get to the bottom of things for you. It's an amazing place and I just can't recommend their medical model enough when you have multiple issues. Typically they check you in on a Monday morning and you will get a physical and discuss your history and reasons for being there. They will make recommendations about testing and other dr's to see. Usually you spend an hour or so doing that. Then they do the actual physical exam and if they find something else, etc. they add that. By the time you are dressed and ready to talk to the dr again, you have a multi-page itinerary for your next several days with your lab work, dr appointments, etc. on there. Appointments are added and deleted during your stay as necessary. I"d suggest starting with an appointment with the endocrinology department, mainly because they act at a "primary" doctor and since your endocrine system may be suspect, you have to start somewhere :D. During my visit I've met with my endo, 3 GI dr's, 2 dietitians, did a sleep study, met with the sleep team to learn about using a CPAP (which has helped a lot), had 7 pages of labs done, an endoscope, bone density testing, cardiology consult......you get the idea :D. Good luck!!!

Thank you! I wish I had gone through Mayo years ago when a friend of mine recommended it. At the time, I was too ill to figure much out. Looks like the closest one is in Arizona. My doctor is waiting to be certified by Mayo and I assume that means certain testing will be available to her. I had so many doctors at one time who couldn't figure much out and all private practice. It would have been nice to go through a systematic process with a team approach as it sounds like Mayo provides. My cardiologist was going to have me wear a holter. Beating my chest 3-4 xs a day, as odd as it sounds, is raising my heart rate and BP so she wants to see how that pans out.

Interestingly, my doctor sent me home with an at-home sleep test a few months ago. You just motivated me to do it! There are a few more tests she's going to run in the next week. She wants me to push over the hump (employ mind/body healthy practices). She has also referred me to a naturopath who she hopes can help me with reactivity.

I received my bone density test results yesterday and must begin weight bearing exercises. It's tricky avoiding the heat and the "boom boom" gym across the street would send me to the ceiling. Weightlifting never steered me wrong (an old love affair) and so will start with some dumbbells at the house. This should motivate me towards light cardio.

Last night I drank some adaptogen tea that was very relaxing and calming to the nerves. I'm going to research it more. The only thing bothering me right now is my elbow because I slept hard on it all night.

You guy's support really helps. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: