5 replies to this topic

#1 snowmom

snowmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

Really, I'm just posting this because I need to vent, i don't really have a question.

My 4 year old daughter is having an adenotonsillectomy in a few weeks. After surgery, she will be on juices and soft frozen foods, and she will need to show that she can hold down liquids before they will discharge her. I'm pretty sure all she will accept in this scenario will be a popsicle. We just went through a similar drill when her non-celiac brother had his adenoids out, so I figured I should call the post-op nurses to make sure that the hospital's popsicles, etc are gluten-free.

All that the post-op nurse would tell me is that their apple juice is definitely gluten-free, but she is not sure about anything else they stock in the recovery area. When I asked if she could tell me the brand of popsicles, etc, or even check the packaging, she brushed me off, and told me it wouldn't matter what she told me because "you never know what else they put on the manufacturing equipment." Which is kind of true and kind of not, but it still would have really, really helped me if she could have gotten off her lazy duff to open the freezer and give me a brand name.

Instead of doing that, she told me that we should just bring our own popsicles on ice. So now, in addition to getting myself and my poor kid up at 4 a.m. for the procedure, I'm also going to have to worry about keeping popsicles frozen for an hour  and a half of travel and check-in time, and then find a freezer in the surgery area.  This is soooo annoying, such a lot of fuss over a few little popsicles!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,616 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

I don't think I have seen any popsicles with gluten.  If that helps.  Is there some kind of juice or Koolaid type thing she would drink?  That would be easier to bring and keep with you.  I am worried someone else might get something you put in the fridge.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#3 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

I would call back up there and speak to someone in dietary.  They are going to be the ones that supply the recovery area.  If the popsicles there are questionable they may be able to order something in and deliver it up for her to take it off you.  The nurse definitely brushed you off.  

If it is a small surgery center and with a small staff, call back up there and ask for a charge nurse or surgery supervisor to call you back to discuss it. 

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

I think it's pretty common for people in this situation to bring food with them. It's just life at this point but it sucks. Hospital dietary was completely clueless when we've had to use them.

#5 snowmom

snowmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:30 PM

I would call back up there and speak to someone in dietary.  They are going to be the ones that supply the recovery area.  If the popsicles there are questionable they may be able to order something in and deliver it up for her to take it off you.  The nurse definitely brushed you off.  

If it is a small surgery center and with a small staff, call back up there and ask for a charge nurse or surgery supervisor to call you back to discuss it. 

Thanks, that seems like it's worth a shot. maybe we'll get someone who can give us a little more info (though I do take your point, Stephanie,about clueless hospital folks!)

We're going to a big Children's hospital. After my post it also occurred to me that we can ask someone on the GI staff to help us track down this info from their colleagues....

#6 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

Perhaps you don't need to bring it from home.  I know our Children's Hospital is in a busy neighborhood with plenty of stores within walking distance.  You could zip out while the procedure is being done and pick something up to put in the freezer.  Or pack those push-up things unfrozen and put them in the freezer when you arrive.  They should be solid in a couple of hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: