arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Has This Ever Happened To You From Salt?

salt

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Newtoitall

Newtoitall

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

I get some swelling in my right knee and left elbow, it amuses me that it's opposite sides like that, but it is actually fairly sore on the elbow =/ this is a newer reaction, I've always reacted poorly to salt but only with skin/scalp never a legit join inflammation, it may not have been the salt I was just wondering if anyone HAD this particular reaction or something similar from salt.

Gluten Free since Xmas 2010

Current Auto Immune Diseases:

Celiac Disease, Interstitial Cystitis, IBS, Dermatitis Herpetiformis, I'm playing life on Hard Mode.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

Any type of swelling like that in response to salt intake should warrant a visit to your primary care doctor.  Even though the swelling isn't presenting itself in the most typical way, you may be at risk of a cardiac event if you ignore it.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

Are you Corn intolerant? I know regular salt has Corn in it. I use sea salt. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#4 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:48 AM

Me too.  The magnesium stearate added to salt to prevent clumping is usually made from corn.  I have talked with a company who manufactures salt.  They would not confirm they used corn in the product, but emphatically stated they didn't claim it was corn free. 

I had bloated up and gotten fatigued months back when I had accidently purchased salt with magnesium stearate.  It took me a week and a half of struggling before I looked for and found the culprit.

I use sea salt, and even for that you need to check the ingredients.  IF one's body is okay with corn, it shouldn't be an issue for you.

Dee

#5 Newtoitall

Newtoitall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

Are you Corn intolerant? I know regular salt has Corn in it. I use sea salt. 

I am pretty sensitive to corn yeah, I have just recently switched over to celtic sea salt and while it does leave me a lil itchy, it doesn't seem to cause any kind of swelling or anything so it's good for when I need salt in fermenting or something.

Gluten Free since Xmas 2010

Current Auto Immune Diseases:

Celiac Disease, Interstitial Cystitis, IBS, Dermatitis Herpetiformis, I'm playing life on Hard Mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: