7 replies to this topic

#1 ravenra

ravenra

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:38 PM

Our household is gluten free, with the exception of hubby drinking regular beer. I've been gluten-free for about 1.5 years so I'm still sorting out how sensitive I am - and at this point, I think I have reacted to things like CC on deli meat from slicer (actual meat was gluten-free), accidental sip of 'real beer', etc.

I think I was recently CC'd by kissing my husband after he drank beer - is that crazy? Also wondering if glasses might be 'contaminated.'

Wondering if anyone has experience with this. He's been so supportive giving up wheat / gluten, etc. but he is a beer lover so I don't want to have to tell him that he can't drink beer in the house.

Thanks!

Gluten free since 12-2012

Thrombocytopenia 09-2013

Optic neuritis 02-2013, 5-2014

Dx w/ Asthma, Lichen Sclerosis, & IBS for over a decade.  

Daily headache(s), eczema, and LS free since giving up gluten!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:43 PM

Our household is gluten free, with the exception of hubby drinking regular beer. I've been gluten-free for about 1.5 years so I'm still sorting out how sensitive I am - and at this point, I think I have reacted to things like CC on deli meat from slicer (actual meat was gluten-free), accidental sip of 'real beer', etc.

I think I was recently CC'd by kissing my husband after he drank beer - is that crazy? Also wondering if glasses might be 'contaminated.'

Wondering if anyone has experience with this. He's been so supportive giving up wheat / gluten, etc. but he is a beer lover so I don't want to have to tell him that he can't drink beer in the house.

Thanks!

You can get CC by that.

#3 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

Yep, no kissing the gluten eater, haha!  My husband is really sweet and will stop me. Maybe you can buy your husband a set of special beer pilsner glasses to drink from?  I want to say you can get them at a place like walmart or target in a set of 4 for under $25.  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 ravenra

ravenra

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:12 PM

Might it be the glasses, or the sweet kisses?

Thanks all!

Gluten free since 12-2012

Thrombocytopenia 09-2013

Optic neuritis 02-2013, 5-2014

Dx w/ Asthma, Lichen Sclerosis, & IBS for over a decade.  

Daily headache(s), eczema, and LS free since giving up gluten!

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:31 AM

You can get CC by that.

To clarify, yes you can get CC'd from kissing a gluten eater or beer drinker. Glass on the other hand, if washed, will not CC you. Just have him rinse the glasses when he's done with them, which is a good idea anyway so they're easier to clean. Of course, if he wants a nice (or cheap, whatever floats his boat) set of beer glasses then go for it. And my perspective is by far one of the most paranoid out there. I'm OCD and only just got my own kitchen I can make gluten free like 2 weeks ago. (YAY!!!!) But I also don't punish my husband because I have a stupid disease and let him bring a bakery cake home the other day and even eat it off my ceramic plates because we forgot to get him paper ones. I simply washed all the crumbs off them before I put them in the dishwasher. I'm really not the least bit worried, and I'm like the kid in the Sixth Sense. I see gluten CC everywhere. :ph34r:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:30 AM

I think that kissing your husband after drinking beer is possible.  To extrapolate that to getting glutened from having it in the house is a stretch.  The gluten of even regular beer isn't all that high.  http://liveatthewitc...f-73-beers.html

#7 Not crazy

Not crazy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

My husband just drinks out of the bottles so I don't worry (beer the only gluten allowed in my house).
What about hand washing the glasses in an empty sink using a dedicated sponge or disposible rag. Then clean the sink after. That way no gluten can get on any other dishes or on a rag and spead to counters etc. I

As far as kissing, no kissing until he brushes his teeth. My husband eats gluten at work (actually has stuff to make sandwiches stocked up at work along with other gluten filled quick meals). So make sure he brushes his teeth after drinking beer and if he has ate gluten while he was out of the house.

#8 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

Beer is about the only allowed gluten item in our home too.  My partner will drink the Omission beer which is gluten free when we can find it.  I've heard that it is good but I am not a beer drinker.    No kissing till the teeth are brushed!!!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: