Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Fresh Coconut

6 posts in this topic

This isn't exactly a recipe, but I bought and cracked open a fresh coconut tonight. If you've never tried it, and can tolerate it, there is nothing like eating coconut fresh, right out of the shell. It stores well in a container in the fridge. My grandmother used to have it when we would visit her. It's a food that I've reintroduced successfully, and I don't have many of those, so I'm pretty exited about it. Just use caution removing it from the shell, it's a little tricky at first until you get the hang of it, but it's well worth it :)

Ads by Google:

if you keep a little water in the container, it will lat longer and keep it from drying out although we do  dry  a lot of them too and use them in baking 

This isn't exactly a recipe, but I bought and cracked open a fresh coconut tonight. If you've never tried it, and can tolerate it, there is nothing like eating coconut fresh, right out of the shell. It stores well in a container in the fridge. My grandmother used to have it when we would visit her. It's a food that I've reintroduced successfully, and I don't have many of those, so I'm pretty exited about it. Just use caution removing it from the shell, it's a little tricky at first until you get the hang of it, but it's well worth it :)

Thanks for the tip, it did seem a little dry when I had it today :)

water helps a lot with many types of fruits once they are cut open. 

I never thought about that. I usually think of excess water as a bad thing which is true for storing something like lettuces or cucumber. But that's a great idea for cut fruit and some cut vegetables too. Jicama is a good example. I appreciate this tip so much as I eat more produce than anything right now.

Do you know anything about storing fruit and vegetable is those green bags, or do you use plastic or glass containers to store them?

I store things in glass and plastic or puree and  freeze for future use. what you have to be careful of is the ethylene gas from bananas as they ripen  which forces things with to ripen too.

I never thought about that. I usually think of excess water as a bad thing which is true for storing something like lettuces or cucumber. But that's a great idea for cut fruit and some cut vegetables too. Jicama is a good example. I appreciate this tip so much as I eat more produce than anything right now.

Do you know anything about storing fruit and vegetable is those green bags, or do you use plastic or glass containers to store them?