5 replies to this topic

#1 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:05 PM

This isn't exactly a recipe, but I bought and cracked open a fresh coconut tonight. If you've never tried it, and can tolerate it, there is nothing like eating coconut fresh, right out of the shell. It stores well in a container in the fridge. My grandmother used to have it when we would visit her. It's a food that I've reintroduced successfully, and I don't have many of those, so I'm pretty exited about it. Just use caution removing it from the shell, it's a little tricky at first until you get the hang of it, but it's well worth it :)

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:40 PM

if you keep a little water in the container, it will lat longer and keep it from drying out although we do  dry  a lot of them too and use them in baking 

This isn't exactly a recipe, but I bought and cracked open a fresh coconut tonight. If you've never tried it, and can tolerate it, there is nothing like eating coconut fresh, right out of the shell. It stores well in a container in the fridge. My grandmother used to have it when we would visit her. It's a food that I've reintroduced successfully, and I don't have many of those, so I'm pretty exited about it. Just use caution removing it from the shell, it's a little tricky at first until you get the hang of it, but it's well worth it :)

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for the tip, it did seem a little dry when I had it today :)

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#4 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

water helps a lot with many types of fruits once they are cut open. 

Japanese proverb

#5 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

I never thought about that. I usually think of excess water as a bad thing which is true for storing something like lettuces or cucumber. But that's a great idea for cut fruit and some cut vegetables too. Jicama is a good example. I appreciate this tip so much as I eat more produce than anything right now.

Do you know anything about storing fruit and vegetable is those green bags, or do you use plastic or glass containers to store them?

#6 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:55 PM

I store things in glass and plastic or puree and  freeze for future use. what you have to be careful of is the ethylene gas from bananas as they ripen  which forces things with to ripen too.

I never thought about that. I usually think of excess water as a bad thing which is true for storing something like lettuces or cucumber. But that's a great idea for cut fruit and some cut vegetables too. Jicama is a good example. I appreciate this tip so much as I eat more produce than anything right now.

Do you know anything about storing fruit and vegetable is those green bags, or do you use plastic or glass containers to store them?

Japanese proverb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: