This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help: I Need Vegetable Substitutes And Seed/nut Subs.

1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Any ideas of books that talk about coping with many food intolerances? I ate practically everything in the coops produce section while experiencing leaky gut.  Therefore, I now am discovering problems with eating many of them.  Please if you know of unusual fruits, vegetables or seeds, list them here.  Also, do you know of anyone in this situation, (Oh, maybe Barty?) that has come through this safely.  I remember quite a few that disappeared.  I am trying to keep my diet as varied as I can, while avoiding the foods that make me lose my appetite for days, give tummy cramps, or make me sick to my stomach.

Gotta ski, you may have something to say about this.  I tried to PM you and realized that your mailbox probably needs cleaning out too!

Dee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Am off to school...but here are a few:

Taro -- starchy

Bok choy -- like cabbage

Chia seed

I can not have garlic or anything from the onion family. That might be a first group to eliminate. Got to go.....carpool time!

shadowicewolf Proficient

Daikon raddish

azuki beans

These can be found in Japanese cooking. I really don't know what you can and cannot have, but it would be a start.

Wi11ow Apprentice

Don't know if you these are unusual, but they are all new to me!

Daikon - very large very mild radish type.

pine nut

ocra

Chinese broccoli

leek - cousin to onion, must wash and cook first

jicama

zucchini blossom - says you can stuff or fry (haven't tried)

rhubarb - leaves are poisonous

tomatillo

Arugula or any greens like mustard, kale or dandelion greens (i haven't branched out much)

watercress

kohlrabi - cabbage turnip (I googled this one - found in asian markets)

Nopale - looks like a cactus. Can't remember which store I saw this in.

No book ideas, sorry

Great job, I see several possibilities from that list.  Basically, the veges I don't tolerate are:  broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, parsley, onion family, squash, pumpkin, green beans, peas.  Got to go, do you get the idea that it is all the common vegetables in the Midwest?

HavaneseMom Explorer

I see you have squash on your can't eat list. Is it all squash? I can't tolerate the bigger orange type squashes (can't think of their names), but zucchini and yellow squash are my friends. I find them pretty soothing and they help keep things moving too :-). If you are in the Midwest like me, I'm sure you have already tested them. Lots of it around in the summer here.

FruitEnthusiast Enthusiast

How do you do with lettuces? These aren't unusual but weren't mentioned - baby spinach and kale. Both are high in protein. Jicama was mentioned, I like it, but I don't know if you can get that in the midwest, I'm on the west coast. Can you have avocados? Fresh coconut (it's very high in insoluble fiber if you can tolerate that)? I know you're aware of histamine and have a list of those foods I think. I wish I had more ideas for you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thanks,

Most lettuce I can't do.  Zucchini is out too.  Anything that I was eating, I seem to have a problem with.  Spinach I can do and kale.  There may be other greens I would tolerate.  I just tried Water Cress and that worked.

I think I saw jicama at the store.  I had never seen that before, so I am planning to buy some.  I do coconut water milk, and oil.  Olives work for me.

I never liked onions anyway!  So, it is one of the things that I am glad to say good-bye to.

I'm sorry you're having trouble now, it sounded like you had been doing a lot better.

I'm continuing to have problems too. Every time I think I'm over the hump, I'm not, I'm sick again. It's frustrating. So, I can relate.

GottaSki Mentor

Any ideas of books that talk about coping with many food intolerances? I ate practically everything in the coops produce section while experiencing leaky gut.  Therefore, I now am discovering problems with eating many of them.  Please if you know of unusual fruits, vegetables or seeds, list them here.  Also, do you know of anyone in this situation, (Oh, maybe Barty?) that has come through this safely.  I remember quite a few that disappeared.  I am trying to keep my diet as varied as I can, while avoiding the foods that make me lose my appetite for days, give tummy cramps, or make me sick to my stomach.

Gotta ski, you may have something to say about this.  I tried to PM you and realized that your mailbox probably needs cleaning out too!

Dee

Finally saw this.

I don't know if I can add anything to this discussion.  I can eat all veggies with the exception of those from the nightshade family.

How long have you been at the try to figure out what is bothering me besides gluten game -- not making light, took me two years before finally doing a full elimination experiment.

Hey Lisa,

I am just about 2 years into non-gluten living.  In the years before that I had figured out several foods not to eat.  I ate pretty much every vegetable available at the grocery store when I was really sick.  I don't think much of avoiding cake, but avoiding squash is just weird.  I feel great, but it really is a good thing that I like dresses so well.  My tummy is bloating up and down.  It use to be always up, so it is actually progress  I finally saw a GI doctor too and she thought I possibly had a gall-bladder issue. She thought that I had done the right labs to gage the situation.  Thanks to my Functional medicine nurse, Dr. Osborne and this forum. 

The GI doctor  didn't think GI issues were such a big deal!  I wonder -I was so small yesterday-and shrinking if she knows what I mean exactly.  I sure don't want my intolerances made little of.  Two days on the couch and four days without appetite is not thinkable for me 3 times a month.. 

Thanks Lisa

To a GI, serious things can be solved by medication or surgery. There are a whole bunch of things they don't understand or acknowledge, as we all know too well.

Are you eating organic? There has to be some common denominator with vegetables that bothers you. Or if not pesticides then maybe something else in the environment.

Could the bloating be from a bacterial imbalance, have you been checked for that sort of thing? Are you taking probiotics?

There has to be an answer for this and you will find it. There's got to be a connection and a solution.There always is. I hope you find it soon.

My functional Medicine nurse feels my swelling is because my gut is not healed yet.

Oh, I did an elimination diet before and that is when my mind cleared and my ferritin levels improved.  I added many things back in and though it seemed okay, it didn't work out.

I agree to some extent about the GI doctor, I am using her for assessing problems, but will likely use other drugs if she offers them to me.  So far she said take probiotics, but I do already.. My natural medicine people thought I should be checked out because I did suffer with this so long.  There might be other problems which can be catered to, so that we can make the biggest difference in getting better.

If you walk 30+ years in the wrong direction, you can't expect to recover the ground in two years.

If you walk 30+ years in the wrong direction, you can't expect to recover the ground in two years.

That's a very good reminder for me, as you and I started on this "project" at about the same time... good words.

Umm, I am more into organic (thanks to celiac, no doubt) than anyone I know.  I own an organic farm.  We mostly grow our own food.  Today finds me with a huge planting project and feeling fine!

Dee

Wi11ow Apprentice

What are you planting today? How much? My "big" project was 4 kinds of lettuces, kale, and 6 zucchini seeds in 5 big pots... Nothing very exciting. They haven't grown yet :).... (only been a few days) But I keep watching!! LOL

We planted watermelon.  Radishes and lettuce are nearly ready to start eating.  Carrots are coming up.  I found several seeds today, kohlrabi, bok choy, argula for me to eat.  It feels kind of overwhelming a whole big garden, but most of it I can't eat!

Beans peas tomatoes peppers broccoli cauliflower I can't eat

Beets, spinach brussel srouts, asparagus and others above I can eat. 

Wi11ow Apprentice

Sounds very rewarding! and a little frustrating if you can't eat it all....

Archived