Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Any Other Sugar Avoiders? Combining gluten-free With Sugar Free.

7 posts in this topic

Last year, in response to some health issues, I decided to try to go sugar free (including honey, maple syrup, etc. in addition to regular white sugar) for a period of time.

Now I do use some things with very small amounts of sweetener, but I do severely limit them. The health difference is amazing! I don't get sick all the time anymore and I can breathe so much better. My chronic sinusitis is going away.

The difference is like night and day.

I would like to learn how to bake better though. Before starting to be more careful about sugar intake, I was big into baking things. Now I hardly ever bake. Does anybody have some good tried and true no sugar gluten-free recipes?

Ads by Google:

Last year, in response to some health issues, I decided to try to go sugar free (including honey, maple syrup, etc. in addition to regular white sugar) for a period of time.

Now I do use some things with very small amounts of sweetener, but I do severely limit them. The health difference is amazing! I don't get sick all the time anymore and I can breathe so much better. My chronic sinusitis is going away.

The difference is like night and day.

I would like to learn how to bake better though. Before starting to be more careful about sugar intake, I was big into baking things. Now I hardly ever bake. Does anybody have some good tried and true no sugar gluten-free recipes?

Well, I have two books that I use to bake gluten-free and sugar-free from. I suggest you check them out; they have definitely helped me. There is an adjustment period though, as these things will NOT taste like conventional foods. But to me they're pretty good. I've modified some things too. The two books I own and have used so far are:

The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking

The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook

I noticed that now there are even more books like these out there since the time I purchased them but these are a good start. You'll need to invest in almond flour and a sugar substitute.

One thing I can recommend is NOT to use Splenda. It is low in calories because our bodies don't recognize it as food so it doesn't get digested. But it is toxic so a small percentage does get stored in our fat cells. The rest goes right through us, through the sewer system, and ends up polluting our water ways.

If you are going to use sugar, go for unbleached sugars such as kane sugar. The refining process that is used to whiten sugar actually changes it in ways that adds toxicity as well.

Otherwise, you can look for recipes that gain sweetness from fruits such as applesauce or banana puree.

Well...I avoid sugar, but not by choice!  I was not recovering from celiac when I was diagnosed.  I asked on this forum several times if this was normal, and I received lots of good advice.  I saw a new gi recently who listened when I described my continuing problems, and he decided I needed testing for SIBO.  I was positive, so I was treated with antibiotics and put on the FodMap diet.  It worked like a charm.  The only sugar I was allowed was a serving of fruit daily and a small amount of maple syrup.  I'm ready for the challenge phase, but scared to death to add sugars back in.  I wouldn't say there are lots of recipes out there without sugar, but there are a few good ones.  I tried searching for FodMap recipes, but so many of them had glaring mistakes that I quit.  Now, I just look over ingredients and use the ones where I think I can sub maple syrup.  So far, 95% of them have been successful.

I tend to use stevia for sweetening my baking when fruit isn't enough to make it sweet.