This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Getting My Home Gluten Free

ladyhutch

ladyhutch Newbie

Hi All --

First off, thank you all for your information and support. I appreciate it.

Since it is pretty evident my stepdaughter has celiac disease, it looks like we will be going gluten free sometime in the next week or so. We are only waiting for her biopsy to be performed on Monday.

I need tips on getting any contamination out of the home. I have decided that we are all going to go gluten-free since I can't afford separate dishes and foods for everyone, with the exception of packaged lunches for the toddler, who is underweight and a picky eater and I don't want to eliminate anything from his diet. I plan to keep his gluteny foods sealed in a bin in the basement, away from the kitchen.

Now, I know I likely need to get rid of my wooden spoons and cutting boards. I plan to run all the dishes through the dishwasher - will that be sufficient to decontaminate?

Also, I will clean out all the cupboards of gluten foods and wipe them out with lysol or bleach. Same for the fridge and freezer. Clean the stove and oven out well, and the microwave.

I downloaded the nxtNutrio app on my phone and hopefully it will help guide me with some grocery shopping. Honestly though, with the exception of gluten-free bread and pasta, I don't much plan to buy things that are specially made gluten-free. I'll buy fruits, veggies, dairy and meats. I don't agree with buying a bunch of pre-prepared, pre-packaged gluten-free junk foods.

So I guess I need suggestions for staples I'll need (flours? seasonings? things you frequently need to do substitutions?), and if there is anything further I need to clean/decontaminate that I might be missing.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Colanders that were used for pasta - really hard to clean every little hole

Toaster - hard to get all the crumbs out but, it's only going to have gluten-free bread, then you might be able to save it.

I don't think you have to seal away the little ones food, unless its a temptation to the other?

Dishwasher should be fine.

Bleach isn't necessary - you can't " kill" gluten. Vacuuming & Washing out drawers and cabinets is good idea. Soap and water is usually enough.

ladyhutch Newbie

Definitely a temptation =) They love to eat his food.

I'll pitch the colanders too then. No biggy there. We don't have a toaster so I'm good.

What about staples to buy? 

Also, we have pets...Do I need to take care she not feed them or touch their foods?

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Waffle irons should be replaced, it's well nigh impossible to clean out all the crumbs.

I make gluten free waffles in my dedicated waffle maker regularly--yum! So much cheaper than frozen gluten-free waffles.

Adalaide Mentor

The other "cupboard" to make sure you empty and clean is the silverware drawer. I know not everyone thinks of this because it's where clean dishes go, but nearly every silverware drawer in existence has crumbs in it. Thankfully, with a dishwasher all you have to do is put all the silverware in, wash the drawer and the holder.

And yeah, waffle irons are insane to clean. Unless you're super attached to yours and have more time than money I would suggest a new one.

I just moved into a new kitchen and simply washed all the cupboards, inside and out, with soapy water twice. A clean cloth the second time. I changed my soapy water with every cupboard and it was a long process, but well worth it.

I also didn't see this mentioned but if you have ever baked and dipped the flour then the spices, you need new spices because they're contaminated. Or if you just use a measuring spoon then throw it back in the drawer, same thing because then flour is on ALL the spoons. (I used to do that... I still do that.)

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Also, if you're ever making food at anyone else's house, double wash bowls, pans, and utensils before cooking in them. I was at our friend's house and going to make some food for myself--and sure enough I saw some crumbs sitting in his "clean" stainless steel bowl in his cupboard.

w8in4dave Community Regular

I don't know about everyone eles, my house isn't gluten-free, But I am Celiac When I use a cookie sheet for cooking I put foil over it. I am going to get my own soon. But until then it is foil lined. I was told Cookie sheets can hold Gluten. I was also told old Wooden spoons can hold Gluten. Good luck! How sweet everyone id going gluten-free for her! Thats so very sweet!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HavaneseMom Explorer

I have a shared kitchen and a great tip I saw on this forum was to designate one counter only in the kitchen for gluten food use. My husband has his toaster on that counter and pours his cereal on that counter, makes his sandwiches there, etc. This way I don't have to worry so much about random crumbs ending up in the rest of the kitchen and in my food.

As far as the pets go, I did switch my pups treats to gluten free and I their food already happened to be gluten free. I think she would be ok to feed them gluten containing food if she has to scoop the food, as long as she washed her hands very well after. It might be more of a problem if she were pouring it from a big bag and dry food particles could end up floating toward her face. If it's a crumbly type of food it might be less of a risk to let someone else feed them. Also, I have heard we should be cautious about letting the pets lick our faces after eating gluten containing foods.

That reminds me of something else. I know she is still young, but when she is dating it's a good idea to be careful not to kiss someone right after they eat gluten. I have read some post by others here where their dates will eat gluten free also so they can share a good night kiss. Not a fun thing for a young person to have to worry about when dating, but I thought I would mention it in case it hasn't come up yet.

Not crazy Rookie

I replaced anything that was wood or plastic(storage bowls, cutting boards, spatulas, rolling pin, measuring cups/spoons, etc) along with the toaster, mixer, can opener, scratched pots and pans. Any thing metal and not scratched or glass was scrubbed really well with hot soapy water. Every cabinet and drawer was emptied and scrubbed with soapy water inside and out. Every shelf and drawer in the fridge was scrubbed inside and out. Counters, door knobs(everyone in the house), drawer handles, light switches (whole house), and any other surface I though had a slight chance of having gluten like the TV remote and door ways were all scrubed with hot soapy water.

I'm sure it was over kill but I was tired of feeling like I was glutened and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I tried the shared kitchen with a stand alone cabinet for gluten with dedicated counter on the other side of the kitchen for gluten. It didn't work. It was a pain, caused me stress and not with it. If they want gluten then can eat it somewhere else.

Check spices, spice blends can have gluten. Open condiments and spices can be contaiminated. As can sugar and other baking ingredients like baking soda, corn starch, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
LinnaeaE Newbie

Way to go on making your whole family gluten-free! That is SO much easier and has worked for us (my family of nine has been eating gluten-free for 10 years now).

You'd probably want to clean out your car as well if you've ever had gluten in there. 

For staples, when we started eating gluten-free we kept with meat, veggies, and fruit for the first few months (which meant absolutely no processed foods--definitely a good thing), and years later we still buy very few processed foods (especially since gluten free ones are so expensive). 

Now, for gluten free baking we use brown rice flour, guar gum (though I've heard reports that both xanthan gum and guar gum are bad, so we might switch), cornstarch, tapioca starch, potato starch, coconut flour, and occasionally almond flour. 

moosemalibu Collaborator

I switched my dogs and cats to a grain free diet. I scoop their food, wash their bowls in the sink and they give kisses and wash themselves with their tongues so I didn't want to be washing my hands EACH and EVERY single time I interacted with them. It hasn't changed things much for them. The cats seem to enjoy the diet more than their previous one. They also eat less of it. Makes my life easier.

NatureChick Rookie

Don't forget about gluten free shampoos, body washes, makeup. 

mamaw Community Regular

you got  some  great  replies..... I  think  maybe  you  will want  a gluten-free toaster  down the  road....oddly  after  being  gluten-free  for  awhile  many  loose  the  tastes  for  foods  they  originally loved  when  consuming  gluten....the  palate  does  change!

Also  I  think  for  a  child  they need  a  bit  of  junk  food   so  they  don't  become  or feel  food  deprived.. Unless  this  child  does not  do  junk food  ...  I  would  find  that  rare....

Also  you will need  to get  the  school involved  so  she  can  have  gluten-free while  in school if  that  applies....Some  good  flour  blends  are :  Open Original Shared Link, great  recipe  site too... Jules  blend, Tom  Sawyer flour, king  arthur   blend,  cup  for  cup,  authentic  classic  blend....to name a few....

Any porous  surface  cooking  utensil  needs to be  replaced  if it is  scratched, including scratched  cast  iron....

Your  pets  will also  do better  on a grain free  diet.....

I  don't  know  if  you mentioned  the  age  of this  child  but  play dough &  such  could  contain  gluten....

If  you  do dedcide  to have  breakfast  out  remember  some  places  add  flour  to  scrambled  eggs to make them  fluffy...grill grease/ baste  also  contains  gluten....

Become a label reader,  companies  change  suppliers  often  ....

McCormick  spices  are  clearly  labeled........

Pamela's  pancake mix  is  an  easy  find  & it  can be  used for coffeecakes &  such....

A gluten-free  diet  also lacks  protein  &  fiber  so   multigrain  breads are  healthier than  white.. Almond  & coconut  flour  add  protein & fiber...

I  will also  say get  probiotics  & digestive  enzymes  for  everyone  who  is  gluten-free.... the  gut  needs  the  extra  boost  from those  two  things.....

Almond  milk is a  great  sub  for  milk... some  need  to be  dairy free  until  the gut  heals.    dairy is also  broken down at the  tips  of the  villi

introduce  more  fiber  slowly  as  it  can  cause  tummy upset  when the  body is not used to it....

Lots of water to help clean out  the  intestinal  track....

A  breadmaker  would  also need to be replaced....

Archived