This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Aldi's

Tina73

beth01 Enthusiast

I second what Karen said.  I worked in a creamery and we made our recipe of yogurt and packaged it for other companies.  Our product, their packaging.  Happens all the time. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SMRI Collaborator

No, they don't take it out of one box and put it into another...the boxes or containers are just switched out on the line....

kareng Grand Master

No, they don't take it out of one box and put it into another...the boxes or containers are just switched out on the line....

Just wanted that to be clear.  We have had people panic because they assumed Costco or Walmart or someplace had a big room with people opening packages and pouring stuff into another package.  And "repackage" does sound like you said they took it out of one package and put it in another

SMRI Collaborator

Aldi and Trader Joes are owned by brothers from what I understand.....and maybe theses threads should be merged...

SMRI Collaborator

Just wanted that to be clear.  We have had people panic because they assumed Costco or Walmart or someplace had a big room with people opening packages and pouring stuff into another package.  And "repackage" does sound like you said they took it out of one package and put it in another

It's an industry term I guess...sometime they are packaged on the same line, other times they ship the products to another place in bulk and it's packaged there but generally it's considered "repackaged" either way.

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

your Aldi might have their gluten-free stuff back now.

My Aldi can't have anything "back" because they just opened......and I love it! I don't care about having to bag my own groceries when I am slicing my grocery bill by 60%+!! (Actually I prefer bagging my own so chemicals, dry, fridge, and frozen aren't all in the same bag). But I am definitely looking forward to having the full line of their gluten free food in my local store! (And I'm gonna be putting the pressure on corporate to get it ASAP)

LauraTX Rising Star

I have merged the other newer Aldi thread into this one.  The only truly duplicate post was Karen and the reboxed thing she copied and pasted, everything else has been left as is.  Actually doesn't flow too bad.  Carry on, All!

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
maximoo Enthusiast

My Aldi In Tamarac FL has started selling gluten-free food again. YAY! 

• 2 weeks later...
kmp86 Newbie

the bread is great too! apparently they are going to keep these gluten free products in the stores full time now because of the response they are getting from customers. I love the soft cookies and the chicken nuggets (Great for those days you don't really feel like cooking). i still have to try the mac and cheese and the canned chicken noodle soup. I am newer to the diet and aldis has made my transition a little stress free!

SMRI Collaborator

I stopped by Aldi today to look for bread.  They didn't have this gluten-free bread everyone is raving about.  I am out of bread.  I stopped by the regular grocery store and they were out of the Udi bread...

mamaw Community Regular

The gluten-free  bread  at  aldi  is  like a  half  loaf  .....$3.99... One  would   need  almost  two loaves  of  Aldi  to be the  size  of  an Udi's  loaf....The  multigrain  was  soft  & pliable but  with  it  being  so  small  the  price  isn't  that  great  ....

I did  find  gluten-free  chicken noodle  soup.. It  comes  from Canada  is  very good  but needs  more   gluten-free noodles..again  hit  & miss as  they  are  special  buys... They also  have gluten-free  vegetable  soup  again a  hard  find....

From  what  I'm told  they  carry a  basic  line  of  gluten-free  ie:  brownies, cake  mix, muffins,   breakfast  bars, pizza  crust all other  gluten-free  items are  hit  & miss.....Today  I  seen  gluten-free  pretzels  & crackers, wraps...

SMRI Collaborator

The gluten-free  bread  at  aldi  is  like a  half  loaf  .....$3.99... One  would   need  almost  two loaves  of  Aldi  to be the  size  of  an Udi's  loaf....The  multigrain  was  soft  & pliable but  with  it  being  so  small  the  price  isn't  that  great  ....

I did  find  gluten-free  chicken noodle  soup.. It  comes  from Canada  is  very good  but needs  more   gluten-free noodles..again  hit  & miss as  they  are  special  buys... They also  have gluten-free  vegetable  soup  again a  hard  find....

From  what  I'm told  they  carry a  basic  line  of  gluten-free  ie:  brownies, cake  mix, muffins,   breakfast  bars, pizza  crust all other  gluten-free  items are  hit  & miss.....Today  I  seen  gluten-free  pretzels  & crackers, wraps...

Really??  The Udi loafs are TINY to start with!  Even at $3.99, it's not that much more than buying two Udi's loafs though.  I don't like multigrain bread though so I guess I'll have to just stick with my Udi white bread.  Aldi, for the size stores they are, have a huge selection of gluten-free products though.

mamaw Community Regular

yes, really,,,,  the loaf  size  is  just  about  half....price  wise  not  much  different....but  again  soft  & pliable... no  heating  up  the  bread....I  would  guess  it is  a  popular gluten-free  bread   re-named   & a  packaging  change...

edgymama Apprentice

I have tried the following from Aldis: brownies (My whole family LOVED!), the berry and cocoa bars(love both), chocolate granola (ok), southwest veggie hot pocket things and pepperoni ones (love the south west ones but the pepperoni was just ok to me), I agree the mac n cheese is better then Annie's! My son loves it too, hmmm not sure what else I have tried but I love aldis they are so good about marking products with the symbol including yogurts and soups! Oh tried the bread (just ok but haven't tried hardly any other gluten free breads yet so nothing to really compare it to, and the gluten-free wraps which I love to make my own pizza wraps with! 

edgymama Apprentice

Oh yes and the aldis gluten free pretzels are half the price of glutino brand! SCORE! The gluten-free cracker breads are decent too :)

Ooh we did not like the chicken nuggets though just remembered we tried those too haha

chocominties Rookie

I got some of the Aldi gluten-free bread last week.  I find that the size of a slice is about 1/3 bigger than Udi's, but the loaf really does only have about 10 slices.  I can get Kinnikinnick for $3.89 at a local store, so $3.99 for only 10 slices isn't a great deal.

However. 

I've had some bad luck lately with Udi's and Kinnikinnick and Rudi's.  I take the slices out of the freezer to make my sandwich, put it in the fridge overnight (as a sandwich) and at lunchtime I have a dry sandwich.  I can toast the bread if I'm at home, but when I'm at work I can't do anything but microwave bread, which I prefer not to do (then it's too mushy). 

I put the Aldi's bread in the freezer when I got home because I wasn't sure if I would use it.  When I did the same thing I usually do (take out two slices, make my sandwich, put in the fridge for the next day) the bread was incredibly soft.  Like, Wonderbread kinds of soft.  It was amazing. 

Great bread, not a super deal (okay deal, I guess), good flavor.  And because I have no car and Aldi's it out by stores that generally don't have decent gluten-free bread (if they have it at all) it will be nice to have the option of popping there on my way home and grabbing a loaf. 

• 2 weeks later...
maximoo Enthusiast

@chocominties...to prevent the bread being mushy when microwaving, DO NOT lay bread flat in the microwave. The bread needs to stand to let the steam evaporate. When the bread lays on a plate the steam becomes trapped making the bread mushy. Lean the bread against a cup or something on a plate, while microwaving. try not overheat abt 30 sec is good (give or take a few sec). 

maximoo Enthusiast

The chicken noodle soup is pretty good, however it is rather small...my dghtr said its not enough! @1.69 a can it can get pricy if you need 2 cans.  

The pretzels are awesome!

Pizza....meh! sabatasso/Freshetta waaaaayyyy better!

I saw the bread n yeah its so small & cost $4.Did not buy dghtr is pretty happy with rudi's and when theres a buy1 get 1 sale i stock up.  I havent seen the wraps.

need to try the mac n cheese. 

My aldi is a 7 mts drive so I am lucky theres 1 so close. 

LauraTX Rising Star

I picked up the bread, the faux oreos (definitely glutino repacked), and mac n cheese and tried those.  Mac n cheese was like annies noodles with the crappy store brand cheese sauce.  Kids would like it, for me it fell short.  The bread was wonderful and soft, but not enough to get me into Aldi often.  I also picked up the pizza, ravioli, and lasagna and have those in my freezer to try later.  

I tried to compare the ingredient list on the bread to every other gluten-free bread I could find, and could not find a match.  Anyone have a speculation on what Canadian manufacturer makes it?

• 2 weeks later...
maximoo Enthusiast

Just tried aldi pasta. It is corn pasta. Did not care for it. Much prefer tinkyada or trader joes.

millerb68 Newbie

Aldi is owned by the same company as Trader Joe's, so often Aldi's products are exactly the same as Trader Joe's but in different packaging and at a lower price. I shop both stores for all of my groceries and can pick out the same products now pretty easily. I'm not going to pay $4.99 for a package of three bell peppers at TJs when the exact same package at Aldi is $1.99.

larry mac Enthusiast

As much as I dislike everything about Aldi's, I'm lovin the frozen Ravioli. For gluten-free, it's pretty tasty IMO.

best regards, larry mac

Brandiwine Contributor

I had the veggie hot pockets that were great! The tortilla's are good and I love how big they are, I can actually fit enough food in one tortilla to fill me up. The frozen pizza was okay. My children liked the chicken nuggets. I was so happy when I left Aldi's! Hahaha! It's a bit of a drive from my house but it's worth it! I like the hot pockets better than the gluten ones!

• 2 months later...
maximoo Enthusiast

Now aldi has gluten-free frozen pancakes . Kids will try them 2mrw.

Now the chicken noodle soup has disappeared off the shelf!! I need to talk to the manager. My DD likes the soup a lot..

• 2 weeks later...
Jamilah Rookie

I just got my password updated so I can post on this topic. (I've been off these blogs for a while--just accepting my gluten free life w/o perseverating about it)

Aldies is such a great option for all of us celiacs/gluten free persons. They have many reasonably priced Good Life products (all r worth sampling)---but the very best thing they have which alone is worth a visit is their BREAD!!! They make the best bread ever--and I had sworn off bread due to always a disappointment-- it's even delish not toasted! I have been eating sandwiches now--like the old days, throwing together w/ ease and on the go.

The only bread I also recently discovered at Price Right and Stop and Shop, which is as good or better--- is Three Bakers bread! It's so delish...do others enjoy?

Archived