Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Those With Soy Intolerance: What Do You Think?

• Please log in to reply

No replies to this topic

#1 Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:23 AM

I've been doing a few elimination diets to try to pinpoint food issues. I took a test and I will get the results back on 5/30, but I wanted to be proactive and test foods on my own before hand. (Note: I am aware that the results are apparently inaccurate, that is partially why I decided to start elimination diets on my own)

I seem to have an issue with yeast and, I believe, soy as well. I've always tried to avoid soy...even before I was diagnosed...for multiple reasons, one being that after drinking soy milk I noticed a faint scratchy/itchy feeling in my throat...but a few staples in my diet have soybean oil: Sabra hummus, Progresso Lentil Soup, and Minute brown/wild rice mix. I have noticed minor stomach issues and now some skin issues after eating all three, but I never really noticed there was soy in them. I had been eating the soup and rice for so long that I didn't even think of soy once I realized they were gluten free...and the hummus is a newer edition to my diet. (Luckily though, Tribe hummus is soy free)

My question is about SunButter. I have an issue with yeast and I came up as allergic to peanuts on an allergy test (blood test) so I avoid them (although I don't believe i am truly "allergic", I avoid them anyway) so I have been looking into almond butter and sunbutter. I like the sunbutter better, but I started noticing some cramping after eating it. It's gluten free, and it claims to be soy free...but here are there statements on soy:

Does SunButter contain soy?

Although soy is not an ingredient in SunButter, the sunflower kernel is roasted on equipment that also roasts soy. There is a cleanout process between the two. 

What are natural mixed tocopherols?

This is a natural preservative from a soy based vitamin E where there is NO soy protein.  The protein has been removed.

This is the only reason I can think of for having a reaction to the sunbutter...the phantom soy. It seems there would be no soy in the product - but I have no idea about sensitivities, or if food can easily be cross contaminated by soy as it is with gluten. Basically, I'm asking if people with a known soy intolerance or allergy would feel safe eating this product. It seems like there should be no issue with soy. I really like the product, but something seems to be bothering me with it. There aren't many ingredients, either...it's just sunflower seeds, dehydrated cane juice, salt, and the mixed tocopherols. 

Diagnosed via blood test: July 2013

Digestive Issues: Lactose Intolerance, Candidiasis, recurring hiatal hernia, possible SIBO

Skin Issues: Rosacea, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Tinea Versicolor

Sleeping Issues: Idiopathic Central Nervous System Hypersomnia, Sleep Paralysis

Allergies: Severe Seasonal allergies,histamine intolerance (under control) sulpha drugs, Oral Allergy Syndrome

Other: TMJ, Gallstones, Orthostatic Hypotension, Dysmennorhea, possible Adrenal Fatigue

Gluten Free - 07/13, Soy Free 05/14, Legume Free 05/14, Dairy Free 09/14, Grain Free 10/14

"I am in control of my own health" - working on crossing everything off this list.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: