This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Heard It On The Radio, So It Must Be True!

Georgia-guy

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

Haha, and I'm a French model.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I am  a righty!

GottaSki Mentor

lol...I remember this one making it way through here a long time ago

I'll go see if I can find the thread.

The six in my family with AI issues are all righties -- there are two lefties on my husband's side...no apparent AIs there.

Edited to add link:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/70541-celiac-and-left-handedness/?p=622042

mommida Enthusiast

I would have been a lefty, but was forced to be right handed. :rolleyes:

What about ambidextrous peeps? 

psawyer Proficient

I am right handed, and on the right politically. That is all just right with me.  :lol:

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

Looks like there may be more righties on here. But I did find a study published in the New York Times from........1985. Page 2 starts off with "lefties are 2 and 1/2 times more likely to have autoimmune disorders"

Open Original Shared Link

GottaSki Mentor

Yep, I had read this or something similar a while back.

I think the data may have been more accurate if they started with 3000 folks diagnosed with an AI then polled for right/left handed.

Starting with nearly 10% of the peeps confirmed lefties seems to be higher than percentage of left handed folks found in population...yet I haven't researched that figure.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

I think it would be interesting to see if maybe the Univ of Chicago Celiac Center could do a study, even as simple as a poll of celiacs they work with.

(I have yet to actually find the study this article refers to.)

GottaSki Mentor

Or we could keep bumping this thread....

Anyone else...

Right?

Left?

Dx'd with any AI disorder?

LauraTX Rising Star

I'm a rightie and I have 2 autoimmune disorders and an immunodeficiency disorder.  I'm like the layer cake of screwed up... haha!  If I were born 20 years prior I would probably be dead, so horray for modern medicine!  Triple score for right handers?

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

No, Laura, you don't get triple score for righties. (After all, y'all use the wrong side of the brain

TGK112 Contributor

Am I the first lefty to reply???

Now this is interesting - after I was diagnosed - I encouraged my siblings to get tested.

My left handed brother has the celiac gene (but normal antibodies for now) - and my right handed sister does not have the gene.

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

TGK, I am giving mommida lefty status because of being forced to be right handed. I am also a lefty. But as for your comment about your siblings, I am tempted to take that to the bank as the first thing I have seen that shows a connection to celiac and lefties.

I would have been a lefty, but was forced to be right handed. :rolleyes:

What about ambidextrous peeps?

Wi11ow Apprentice

Righty here. Although when I had shoulder surgery (dominant hand) I got really good at feeding myself and getting coffee left-handed! (does that count?)<G>

BTW - Got official  diagnosis today... blood tests positive, mild blunting of villa.....

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome to the best club you never wanted to join Willow :)

Wi11ow Apprentice

aww, shucks..... thxs GottaSki! I'm just glad to have answers finally!!!

LauraTX Rising Star

Righty here. Although when I had shoulder surgery (dominant hand) I got really good at feeding myself and getting coffee left-handed! (does that count?)<G>

BTW - Got official  diagnosis today... blood tests positive, mild blunting of villa.....

I am completely right handed.  I have to force myself to do things left handed or my muscle tone will be uneven.  When I had hand surgery on the right hand, it took me forever to do anything and it was a sloppy job, haha!  And, welcome to the silly yak club!

Wi11ow Apprentice

Thanks! I was in a sling for 2 moths... It was a matter of do... or do without! Took forever to pour coffee w/o spilling! Terrible waste! <G>

mommida Enthusiast

I am truly left handed, I'm just doing stuff with my right.  I write right handed with a left handed back slant.  I can switch to left handed writing if you hand me any writing utensil, and any "new" activity is always approached as a lefty.  (switch hitting for batting, puck handling for hockey is left, but most available sticks are right.)

Questore Rookie

I am truly left handed, I'm just doing stuff with my right.  I write right handed with a left handed back slant.  I can switch to left handed writing if you hand me any writing utensil, and any "new" activity is always approached as a lefty.  (switch hitting for batting, puck handling for hockey is left, but most available sticks are right.)

I guess that makes me a lefty forced to be a righty...my right handed writing leans over soooo bad to the left!  Otherwise, I seem ambidextrous...I use everything on the body to avoid straining the opposite side!  I have 2 AI's...waiting to see on Celiac, but niece got diagnosed as celiac disease.  Day 5 of non-gluten, and actually feel more awake and less foggy!  Is that possible?

IrishHeart Veteran

Righty.

married to a lefty, plus a brother who is lefty--both who defied the nuns who tried to make them righties--

and several friends--all lefties and not a single AI disease amongst them. (correction, brother has asthma--controlled)

Learned to be lefty when I had right shoulder surgery (wiping your bottom and doing buttons are tricky, btw) . but my right hand is still dominant. 

i am more left when it comes to politics but that seems right to me. ^_^  

Archived