Danijela

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:40 AM

hello

I started the gluten-free diet on friday
i was doing really well except my mom bought some bread yesterday and asked me to try it she said it was really expensive and she wanted to see if i could handle it
after i ate it i started to get a feeling of being surreal
i just went on cleaning and it eventually went away

but today i ate fruit from breakfeast and veggies for lunch i had them at about 11am and at 130 i almost passed out my face is numb and i feel terrible i started to panic as well and my hands are shaking

could this be from the bread i ate or from not eating enough
my stomach feels empty

i'm terrified right now i don't know what to do ???

thanks for any advice
DANIJELA
"HE WHO ANGERS YOU CONQUERS YOU"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Danijela

Danijela

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:41 AM

sorry forgot to mention the bread was rye
DANIJELA
"HE WHO ANGERS YOU CONQUERS YOU"

#3 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:18 AM

Rye is a no no ... it has gluten in it! You need a bread that says gluten free on the label. So it's likely from the bread that you are having all the trouble.
Hope you get feeling better soon!

#4 Kasey'sMom

Kasey'sMom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:37 AM

I went out to eat yesterday and was glutened. I feel really weird after being glutened. My speach gets a little slured and I feel buzzed. Yesterday I was even stumbling as I walked into my house. Sortly after that, I get the digestive symptoms. I too feel like I'm going to panic they day after being glutened.

I was telling my husband last night that I can't believe how sick those tiny particles of gluten can make us. Gluten is hiding in so many things. You might want to take a look at your toothpaste, vitamins etc., if you haven't done so already. There are some good suggestions for gluten-free products on the fourm. Unfortunately for us, comsuing rye, barley and oats is just as serious as wheat.

btw....my dd and I both were really hungry when we first went gluten-free but now we've leveled off. Although, after being glutened yesterday I'm starving today!! :)

I hope you get to feeling better soon.

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:52 AM

rye is one of the forbidden grains on the diet, and you are probably having a gluten reaction. but it also sounds as though you're not eating nearly enough. have some peanut butter on an apple, some bean dip with your vegetables, maybe some eggs, maybe some nuts for a snack, but defintely more food!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:45 PM

You are probably having a gluten reaction. We can't have wheat,rye,barley, oats, spelt, kamut and a few other ones too. If you check the safe/forbidden list you will see what you can and can't have.
Do you have the lists to help as guidelines?
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#7 cornbread

cornbread

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:58 PM

I went out to eat yesterday and was glutened. I feel really weird after being glutened. My speach gets a little slured and I feel buzzed. Yesterday I was even stumbling as I walked into my house.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is exactly the kind of feeling I get after getting even the *tiniest* amount of gluten or casein. By tiny, I mean I could lick a stamp, or give a beer drinker a quick peck on the lips, and I'd be glutened. I don't even have to eat the stuff. The 'brain fog' is accompanied by severe exhaustion (too tired to even talk) and major irritability/depression. It lasts at 100% for about 5 days, and then slowly begins to fade, but I don't feel 'right' again for weeks. Anyone who thinks you can try just a "little bit" of ANYTHING with gluten in needs to understand they are POISONING you. No matter how expensive their bread is!

#8 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:06 PM

hello

I started the gluten-free diet on friday
i was doing really well except my mom bought some bread yesterday and asked me to try it she said it was really expensive and she wanted to see if i could handle it

thanks for any advice

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sounds like your mother may have "wheat free" confused with "gluten free". Rye is a bad thing for us with celiac disease. I'm sure she meant well. Don't worry, we all go through mistakes on this diet, but this forum should help shorten your learning curve. Also, I've read (and it helps me) to try to get more than average protein. The normal diet is about 50 grams/day, those with celiac disease should up that some - but you need to find out what is your optimum for your body. :)
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#9 darkangel

darkangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:58 PM

Also, I've read (and it helps me) to try to get more than average protein.  The normal diet is about 50 grams/day, those with celiac disease should up that some - but you need to find out what is your optimum for your body.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which brings up a question that's been on my mind. I don't want to hijack the thread, but isn't it tough to get lots of protein in your diet if you're avoiding gluten and casein? I weight train and this is a big issue for me. I don't know how I'm going to get enough protein just from meat and/or eggs.

#10 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:34 PM

There are milk, beans, nuts and good old peanut butter for protien, also all the cheeses if you are not dairy sensitive.
There is a flour free peanut butter cookie recipe in this forum somewhere that is yummy and contains protien too :D

#11 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:43 PM

I might be missing something but if you want protein and you are only avoiding gluten and casien then umm how about beef, chicken, fish, eggs, peanut butter??

Susan

#12 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 06:33 PM

Which brings up a question that's been on my mind. I don't want to hijack the thread, but isn't it tough to get lots of protein in your diet if you're avoiding gluten and casein? I weight train and this is a big issue for me. I don't know how I'm going to get enough protein just from meat and/or eggs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, it's not a problem. sure, you end up eating a fair amount of meat - make sure to vary it (pork, chicken, beef, turkey, fish, shellfish and more exotic meats like bison, if you can get it). you may need to have meat or eggs at every meal if you're aiming for 200g a day (which is a LOT! even with normal weight training, from my understanding). beans and some nuts/seeds have a good amount of protein in them as well.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#13 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 06:43 PM

Like the others have said rye bread is a big no on the gluten free diet. You really need to re-evaluate your diet now. Make sure that you read all ingredient labels for gluten and hidden gluten. Here are some sites to help you get started.

http://www.celiacpei...uctlist2004.pdf (Canadian product list)
http://www.celiac.co...-22105022487.2e
http://www.celiac.co...-01105324031.a9
http://www.thaikitch...ietaryinfo.html

but isn't it tough to get lots of protein in your diet if you're avoiding gluten and casein?

Eggs are good for protein. Salmon would also be good.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#14 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:06 PM

You need to eat more!
Make sure you eat chicken, beef, fish, etc.
Hope you're not a vegatarian!
Seriously,though, my stomach felt "empty" for a few months and then it went away. Some say it is because you have undergone a change in stomach volume. Hang in there; it will get better.
but eat, eat, eat!

#15 mookie03

mookie03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:29 PM

i find that nuts are a great way to keep satiated- i snack on them all day long- they are very filling and help me so i dont even crave the carbs i used to LIVE on! and peanut butter is a staple in my diet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: