26 replies to this topic

#16 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:36 PM

This is exactly the kind of feeling I get after getting even the *tiniest* amount of gluten or casein.  By tiny, I mean I could lick a stamp, or give a beer drinker a quick peck on the lips, and I'd be glutened. I don't even have to eat the stuff.  The 'brain fog' is accompanied by severe exhaustion (too tired to even talk) and major irritability/depression.  It lasts at 100% for about 5 days, and then slowly begins to fade, but I don't feel 'right' again for weeks.  Anyone who thinks you can try just a "little bit" of ANYTHING with gluten in needs to understand they are POISONING you.  No matter how expensive their bread is!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those are my symptoms too....getting glutened sucks. Especially when your licking about 20 envelopes and end up majorly spaced out and crying. That used to happen everytime I payed my bills.

Danijela,

Like everyone else already said. Dont eat rye bread. I know you are just starting the diet but if you dont do it 100% you wont know if its working or not.
Rachel

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:54 PM

If I wouldn't be eating some kind of meat at every meal, I'd be starving, too. I am also intolerant to all the other sources of protein, I can't have legumes (which includes peanuts), eggs or milk products at all, no grains of any kind (tried gluten-free brownies yesterday, because I wasn't sure about rice being a problem, and feel terrible today, diarrhea, bloating, achiness and fatigue).

So, without meat I wouldn't be able to be on this diet, it is what gives me energy.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#18 darkangel

darkangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:28 AM

If I wouldn't be eating some kind of meat at every meal, I'd be starving, too. I am also intolerant to all the other sources of protein, I can't have legumes (which includes peanuts), eggs or milk products at all, no grains of any kind (tried gluten-free brownies yesterday, because I wasn't sure about rice being a problem, and feel terrible today, diarrhea, bloating, achiness and fatigue).

So, without meat I wouldn't be able to be on this diet, it is what gives me energy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm afraid I'm going to be in the same boat. When I started losing weight and muscle tone, I upped my whey protein isolate intake. When I got to the point I was in constant pain, it finally dawned on me that I might have a casein/dairy problem, so I eliminated it. I love peanut butter, nuts and nut butters, but I'm afraid they're going to be a problem for me, too, as I get allergic-type reactions when I eat them. Not sure about eggs.

It's difficult to carry meat around as a portable snack. :unsure:

#19 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:00 AM

I make sure to have meat and veggies in every meal I eat...really helps and for in between meals, cashew butter on a rice cake or gluten, soy, corn, yeast, etc. free bread that I make. I seem to need heartier snacks during the fall and winter and lighter snackes in the spring and summer.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#20 darkangel

darkangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:39 AM

Anyone know of any "protein bars" that are Gluten-free Casein-free?

#21 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 05:09 PM

Anyone know of any "protein bars" that are Gluten-free Casein-free?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't found any yet, unfortunately. Beef jerky might be an alternative (if you can find any that don't have forbidden things). You can buy jerky guns, and make your own jerky in your oven. I'll have to look into that, as homemade jerky seems like a great snack to take along when going places.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#22 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:07 PM

I'm replying to the protein part of this thread...

A protein powder I like is rice protein powder. I don't like whey and soy is just not one of the things I like to taste. (edamame excluded).

Organic Food Bar makes bars that are Gluten-free Casein-free. They don't have high protein in them, but usually 14g a bar. Also some low-glycemic carbs (agave nectar). Nuts are a great idea, too. Maybe try some different kinds, maybe something you wouldn't have a reaction to?

Oh, another good protein source is hemp seeds. You can get ground hemp seeds, it's like flour, and you can use it to bake with or I would just stick it in my smoothies as a protein/fiber source. And good oils. Also, flax meal has a decent amount of protein, so adding to smoothies adds protein, fiber, and oils as well.

It's hard at first, but you'll come up with other ideas.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#23 darkangel

darkangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:11 AM

Organic Food Bar makes bars that are Gluten-free Casein-free. They don't have high  protein in them, but usually 14g a bar. Also some low-glycemic carbs (agave nectar). Nuts are a great idea, too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I checked out their Web site... those look good. They aren't sold from the site. Do you know of any online ordering source?

#24 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:35 PM

I haven't found any yet, unfortunately. Beef jerky might be an alternative (if you can find any that don't have forbidden things). You can buy jerky guns, and make your own jerky in your oven. I'll have to look into that, as homemade jerky seems like a great snack to take along when going places.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First, on the jerky matter. I use a food dehydrator and make turkey jerky, you can make beef jerky in them. I have a special recipe for the jerky which is so much better than any that is store bought.

Now excuse my ignorance on being "glutened" I am still not sure where I fit in this with wheat allergies and high gluten intolerance. However, the question is: how long were you gluten-free when you realized that when you got even slightly glutened that you felt that way? Prior to being diagnosed did you feel the same before as now when glutened or do you feel worse than you did prior to being diagnosed? Does each accidental glutening make you feel worse than the time before?

Thanks for any and all answers and your patience.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#25 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:33 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rather than using jerky guns to "smoosh" out a band of meat, I'd encourage partially freezing london broil, and slicing it, against the grain, by hand. There are a lot of jerkey recipes out there you can make (either without soy sauce, or with your own gluten-free soy sauce), and you don't need a dehydrator to do it (I prefer to use the oven, but a dehydrator will work fabulously too), it's quite easy! :-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#26 darkangel

darkangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:42 AM

Checked out the gluten-free section of my local Drug Emporium last night. Found some new Cliff bars called "Nectar" that look to be gluten-free. I'm eating the lemon, vanilla and cashew version and it's good. Ingredients: Organic dates, organic roasted cashews, organic goji berries, organic lemon juice concentrate, organic vanilla.

And it says, "We source ingredients which do not contain soy, wheat, gluten or dairy and are not genetically engineered."

#27 Danijela

Danijela

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 04:30 PM

Hey everyone
I'd just like to say thankyou for all your advice...
I've pulled some great tips and ideas off of here....
i'm starting to feel better already!
thank you soooo much
i don't know where i'd be without your support

thanks again
DANIJELA
"HE WHO ANGERS YOU CONQUERS YOU"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: