Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pasta And Buns!

13 posts in this topic

I'm the mom of a newly diagnosed celiac 16 yr old daughter.  She was diagnosed about a month ago, and since the "shock" has worn off, we are getting pretty good at the gluten-free diet. (We= me and her, I've gone gluten-free with her)

We are doing pretty good finding gluten-free foods, but are struggling with pasta and burger/hot dog buns!  Udi's are good, but seem more like a chibatti (?) roll. When we ate at Red Robin, I literally asked where they got the burger buns from (Cisco, by the way)  Pasta-wise we have tried one brand (sorry can't remember the name) and it was not pleasant.  

Any recommendations?  Oh, and tricks on how to make bread/buns "less dry"?

Thanks!!

Ads by Google:

For Bread/Buns to be less dry and stale-like, thaw and toast them.  Even just very lightly toasted and not browned will make a difference in the flavor of most frozen offerings.  If you want to make, say, a peanut butter sandwich, and don't want browned toasty bread, thaw the bread slice most of the way in the microwave, then toast it just til it is warmed up.  If you want a hot sandwich you can just put the frozen bread in the toaster and let it toast it up.  With large buns you can toast them in a skillet, too... kind of like how you do bread with grilled cheese.

I know Udis buns are the market leader, but I hate them, I think they are gross and dry.  I buy a brand from here in Texas called local oven (http://www.localoven.com/) and a lot of their stuff is free of other allergens, too.  They are soft when just thawed at room temp and don't have to be toasted, in my opinion they are the closest to the old bread.  I haven't tried a lot of other brands and I am sure others will hop on with suggestions.

For pasta, I find that there is a huge difference in taste and texture with what it is made with.  100% corn tastes strongly like corn and gets mushy very fast so I don't buy it.  The corn/rice blends are okay but can still be off.  The quinoa/corn blends are okay but a unique taste and not versatile.  I like the tinkyada pasta made with 100% brown rice.  It is the closest in taste and texture to gluteny pasta, they just have longer cooking time (13-15min) but they do not overcook easy like the other pastas, and keep very well in leftovers.  In the boxed mac and cheeses a lot use pasta that is white rice only, and it is pretty good but not widely sold.  But tinkyada is all I buy.  I also like their lasagna noodles the best.  There are some other brands of brown rice pasta I have heard are also good, but haven't tried them.

Also, welcome to the forum! :)

I have always head that Red Robin uses Udi's buns.  I haven't eaten there, but another place I had a burger at used Udi's buns and I believe they brushed them all over with butter, and toasted the flat sides.  I was like, this is an Udi's bun?  Just shows you have to pull a little magic to make it taste better, but I still buy the other option I like more.  

I agree with those who say to toast the buns. That definitely improves the flavor.

Tinkyada pasta is my favorite. I have even made a pasta salad with it and gluten-eating husband thought it was really good.

We largely use brown rice pasta, although not Tinkyada brand because I'm able to buy another brand here for a fraction of the price. I do indulge on occasion though, as I find that brown rice pasta, which good, isn't my favorite. I like Barilla, which I think is a corn/rice blend and that is what I use when I want actual spaghetti. It holds together well and doesn't have any of the problems I've encountered with other types. I also sometimes get Ancient Harvest pasta when I see it on sale. It is a quinoa/something blend and I love the texture and flavor.

I think the best strategy for newbies is to avoid gluten-free bread and other gluten-free baked goods for a month!  Indulge in ice cream, pudding, jello, crustless cheesecake, and candy, etc. Give yourself time to "forget" what real bread tastes like.  So, for now, eat lettuce wrapped sandwiches/burgers/hotdogs.  After time, gluten-free bread tastes pretty darn good and you get used to it being toasted.  

Though, I confess, my family prefers lettuce-wrapped burgers over adding gluten-free buns.  

The gluten-free items my extended family likes and they can't tell it's gluten free are homemade desserts!  

welcome,

Canyon Bakehouse, three  bakers,  both  have  decent  buns.....

Pasta:   BiAglut  is  one  of the best, I  use  it  for  gluten eaters  &  they  have  no idea  its  gluten-free....

egg  noodles:   Seitenbacher  egg ribbons......  the  best

If  you  are looking  to bake  buns here  are a  couple  of  places  to google...  Nicole  Hunn Blog,,  www.betterbatter.org, The  Art  Of  gluten-free Baking..... all have  excellent  breads..

Plus  Simona  on this  site ( recipe  section)  has  some  great  recipes  as well as  others......

I don't  toast  any bread but  I do  nuke  it  for  a few  seconds  to soften it  up....You  can also  wrap  a  damp  papertowel  around  the bread  &  nuke  to soften too..

it is  great  that  you went  gluten-free   with your  daughter.....I'm  sure  that  support  is  appreciated....

Not  sure  you   live  but  look  for  fresh :Goodbye Gluten Bread,  white  or  multigrain.... it is  good....

My favorite dried pasta is La Venezian spirals or penne, followed by Schar spirals.  I have recently found some fresh-ish gluten-free pasta (GR or some other brand with two initials, maybe R.P.)  I get it from Fresh Direct in NYC) and it's quite good.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions and tips!  It so nice to have such a wonderful place to turn to for advice!

We like Udi's and Tinkyada.

Ronzoni is now making gluten-free pasta that's pretty good, as is Barilla's.