10 replies to this topic

#1 paw

paw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:16 AM

Today I got a phone call and I won a trip for two to Jamaica -- everything paid, worth $3000. This was a legitimate contest, not a scam and I entered before I thought I had any problems with wheat. Of course, I did not expect to win it! I thought about it for a while, talked to my husband and then I called the lady back and said no thank you. Island Outposts I put this in the coping with forum, because it was a new experience for me to deal with (VERY NEW, LOL).

She had NO idea of if they were able to deal with food allergies when I asked her before making my choice, there were several resorts to choose from. She wanted to know if I would "get better" later in the year and wanted a different date to travel. She was very nice, but I could tell she did not understand at all. She asked me to send an email to formally give up the trip and I did for their records, and I did. They will select a new first prize winner now.

I don't know if I could handle being out of the country and not knowing if there was any safe food to eat. I am sure the food at the Goldeneye Resort would be wonderful, just not safe for people with food issues. I am just at the start of all of this and I don't have experience like many of you do. Maybe after I learn all about this I will feel like travel. I am just not there right now.

I am wondering now, would you take the trip or say no?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:32 AM

I'm not on the diet (biopsy to come soon) yet but I went to a support group meeting recently where the topic was traveling/eating out gluten-free. If I were you, I would have taken the trip and packed lots of my own food (nuts, gluten-free snacks and so forth) and buy and take the dinging cards that you can get on this site and others. If you contact the resort ahead of time, they should be willing to work with you on your diet restrictions. From what I understand, it is actually easier to eat in Europe than in US as servers are more knowledgeble abroad than in the US. That's why I didn't cancel my own vacation for next spring. I can't give up my life to celiac disease.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:38 AM

I would have contacted the resort directly. If it's a decent place they would be able to take care of you.

richard

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:51 AM

Chances are, they could have taken care of you just fine, even if all they could provide was boring fair and you had to bring some of your own food. I do understand not wanting to undertake this so soon, but don't let the diet restrict your travel in the future, once you get the hang of it. (I'm going to Vail in January, and will be staying in a condo. Could be no problem, only I won't have a car... we'll see what happens, but I'll come up with something.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:19 PM

Today I got a phone call and I won a trip for two to Jamaica -- everything paid, worth $3000.  This was a legitimate contest, not a scam and I entered before I thought I had any problems with wheat.  Of course, I did not expect to win it!  I thought about it for a while, talked to my husband and then I called the lady back and said no thank you.  Island Outposts  I put this in the coping with forum, because it was a new experience for me to deal with (VERY NEW, LOL).

She had NO idea of if they were able to deal with food allergies when I asked her before making my choice, there were several resorts to choose from.  She wanted to know if I would "get better" later in the year and wanted a different date to travel.  She was very nice, but I could tell she did not understand at all.  She asked me to send an email to formally give up the trip and I did for their records, and I did.  They will select a new first prize winner now.

I don't know if I could handle being out of the country and not knowing if there was any safe food to eat.  I am sure the food at the Goldeneye Resort would be wonderful, just not safe for people with food issues.  I am just at the start of all of this and I don't have experience like many of you do.  Maybe after I learn all about this I will feel like travel.  I am just not there right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had celiac disease for 9 years and still don't like to travel like I used to. I even talked my boss out of sending me to San Diego for a seminar. I don't like letting celiac disease control me, but I'm so tired of cross contamination issues that I don't enjoy myself like I used to. Maybe later on as you get used to the diet and learn what to look for you can get a trip someplace. My problem is that would items in Jamacia have the labeling laws we do here in the U.S.? BTW, for future dining reference, the Triumph dining cards are a godsend - I highly recommend them.
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#6 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 03:01 PM

I'd go! But then I go to the Caribbean a couple of times a year and have been twice to Jamaica. The entire area is known for fresh fish and fruits. Of course I travel a lot and I feel fairly confident that I can get simple foods in just about any city (not any restaurant but in any city). Grilled fish, plain.... fruit, salad, steamed or grilled veggies.

susan

#7 dogear

dogear

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:52 AM

I'd go on the trip if I were you!!!

If push comes to shove, you could just put tons of your own bread, crackers and such in a food saver pack. Then you could just fruit, eggs, milk (unless you have trouble with lactose), potatoes, and other dishes that look pretty safe. Also don't forget the chocolate and peanut butter and other goodies, where you don't even have to worry about cross contamination.

My advice is not to even let this thing stop you from enjoying your life.

#8 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:54 PM

Today I got a phone call and I won a trip for two to Jamaica -- everything paid, worth $3000.  This was a legitimate contest, not a scam and I entered before I thought I had any problems with wheat.  Of course, I did not expect to win it!  I thought about it for a while, talked to my husband and then I called the lady back and said no thank you.  Island Outposts  I put this in the coping with forum, because it was a new experience for me to deal with (VERY NEW, LOL).

She had NO idea of if they were able to deal with food allergies when I asked her before making my choice, there were several resorts to choose from.  She wanted to know if I would "get better" later in the year and wanted a different date to travel.  She was very nice, but I could tell she did not understand at all.  She asked me to send an email to formally give up the trip and I did for their records, and I did.  They will select a new first prize winner now.

I don't know if I could handle being out of the country and not knowing if there was any safe food to eat.  I am sure the food at the Goldeneye Resort would be wonderful, just not safe for people with food issues.  I am just at the start of all of this and I don't have experience like many of you do.  Maybe after I learn all about this I will feel like travel.  I am just not there right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would have taken the trip. On the Caribbean Islands a lot of their main staples are black beans and rice, seafood and chicken. I would never give up the trip. They have plenty of fruit too.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#9 Guest_barbara3675_*

Guest_barbara3675_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:52 PM

Go on the trip and eat as the others have suggested......steak, fish, grilled chicken, fresh fruits and veggies and take along some of your favorite things. Go directly to the chef at your resort and tell him/her of your needs and I will bet they will accomodate you the best they can. You are not going to be the first person that has special needs that has come to that resort. Life is too short to sit home and not enjoy what is out there for you and for sure not to pass up something as wonderful as a FREE trip. Have a great time. Barbara

#10 2old4

2old4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:02 AM

Don't beat yourself up about it, you've already given it up, I assume that you can't get it back at this point. I have a different outlook, just think how happy you've made someone else!!
gluten-free since 05/19/05
Positive Bloodwork
Patty from Maine

#11 paw

paw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:41 PM

Don't beat yourself up about it, you've already given it up, I assume that you can't get it back at this point. I have a different outlook, just think how happy you've  made someone else!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am fine with not going. I am not feeling healthy right now and it would be more of a hassle than a pleasure. I need to take care of myself and get more stable before I travel. I would not want to be on a plane or a 2 1/2 hour car trip (some of the resorts are that far from airport, depends which one you choose) with digestive problems (ok, D). That just is not my idea of a fun trip! I hope the newly chosen winner is happy and has a great time.

Also, I saved about $1,000 in taxes on my win! (Trip is free, but it counts as taxable income.) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: