This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dealing With Parties At Your House

veryami1

BlessedMommy Rising Star

My naturopath, who's celiac, was telling me about buying gluten free toilet paper. Is that going a little far or is it actually necessary?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BlessedMommy Rising Star

That link still suggested moistening envelopes with water instead of saliva. Not sure why they would say that, unless there's a chance that wheat starch is in the adhesive? Sometimes it's hard separating fact from urban legends.   

kareng Grand Master

Gluten in tp? I just love these " naturopaths" . I guess they can't make money if they don't try to scare you? Now maybe if you eat TP? That might be an issue. But gluten has to be ingested. And I have never seen anything credible to say they put gluten in TP, so eat away!

I saw a documentary/ news thing years ago about why you don't want to lick envelope glue, it had nothing to do with gluten and more to do with cockroaches...... Ew!

So...back to the question of if you have crossed the line into paranoia- I am guessing....yes. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

That link still suggested moistening envelopes with water instead of saliva. Not sure why they would say that, unless there's a chance that wheat starch is in the adhesive? Sometimes it's hard separating fact from urban legends.   

no, there's no chance.

It's because some people do not like licking things, that's all.

I lick envelopes. No problem.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

FWIW, my naturopath is a biopsy DX'ed celiac. *shrugs* And she said that her antibody numbers didn't drop until she switched all of her personal care products to gluten free.

No, I won't be bothering with worrying about buying gluten free toilet paper. I'm guessing that if a person is eating toilet paper, they have much more pressing issues to deal with than celiac.  :ph34r:

IrishHeart Veteran

My naturopath, who's celiac, was telling me about buying gluten free toilet paper. Is that going a little far or is it actually necessary?

Seriously. What does your common sense tell you?

There's no gluten in toilet paper. Even if there were..tell me..... how does she suggest you

somehow ingest gluten through your anus when you wipe it, so it somehow gets digested and into your digestive tract?

This woman is giving you bad info, IMHO

People who switch over to all G F products in their entire home all say it helped them and people who say they didn't.... still heal and feel fine.

Maybe they have a wheat allergy too? Maybe it was just a time thing and they would have  healed anyway.

The things to concern yourself with are the products that go in your mouth.

Don't eat toilet paper. And not just because there may be gluten in it. It's not a nutritional source.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

So...back to the question of if you have crossed the line into paranoia- I am guessing....yes. :)

Haha! Well, maybe I can blame my lapse into OCD on gluten. ROFL!  :D  :P

I think that my problem was that I was realizing all the real ways that I probably should be more careful (when I first went gluten free, I didn't have a lot of guidance) and once I fixed all the real issues, I started worrying about the non-issues. Stupid OCD! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

I think toilet paper is ... paper and made from the cellulose pulp of trees... I don't think wheat is used to make paper, is it? Bah, I don't eat it either.

As for the friend who brought the glutenous dessert, I agree that she was not thinking ad it is inappropriate. Just remember tha many people's brain's go blank when they try to think of a food without gluten. Many of us did it too - What is left to eat now that I'm gluten-free?  ;)  I usually suggest foods to people if they want to bring something. For dessert, I would usually ask for icecream or a fruit platter as most people can handle that. 

I would probably still serve the cake but I would do all the serving so the rest of the food does not get contaminated - people will forget and mix up spoons and such.  I remember sharing a cabin with my MIL while on vacation; they drove out to join us on the coast but they brought their own bread. After they left a few days later, I had no jam, butter, peanut butter, cheese, mustard or mayo that we could use, it all had crumbs in it.  LOL She did not do it to be mean but it was always after the fact, along with a big "oops" when she realized what she had done.

Next time ask her to bring icecream. ;)

CathyO Rookie

I have gluten eaters in my house. All gluten containing items are on the bottom shelf of the pantry. They make any sandwiches or other snacks on the counter.They wipe the counter off with a wet paper towel when finished. They wipe out the microwave when finished. Sorry dishes go in the dishwasher. 

It's hard to explain to people that I can't just pick the croutons out of my salad, eat the turkey but leave the bread dressing, wipe the gravy off.  Those are the folks who say I'm being ridiculous or paranoid. 

I'm still learning and finding my way. I tend to use humor to deal with things. Recently went to a very busy Ted's Montana restaurant in DC for dinner. I always order last. The waitress was helpful and friendly, but very busy. I wanted her to remember. No croutons on the salad. Don't look at croutons, or even think about croutons when prepping my salad. She was laughing by the time I was finished. She remembered.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

So funny, Cathy!  :D

LauraTX Rising Star

In your opinion, where is the line between a healthy level of caution and gluten phobia? And how do you know when you've crossed the line?

As a person with OCD, anything like this becomes a problem whenever it interrupts your life and you can no longer properly function.  You have to find a happy medium level of it.

Now maybe if you eat TP? 

Ever seen that show "My strange addiction"?  TP and other household goods eaters abound!  :P  Maybe if one of them is celiac.... LOL    ^_^

BlessedMommy Rising Star

LauraTX, has your OCD improved at all since going gluten-free? I have GAD with OCD symptoms. 

I have to LOL at your signature. I was curious at the backstory so I googled "Silly Yak Girl" and then I found "Silly Yak Bakery." It took me saying it out loud to realize that Silly Yak is a play on words for celiac!

africanqueen99 Contributor

Back to OP's post...

We do the vast majority of the entertaining and I do it all.  When people ask what they can bring I suggest either fruit or raw veggies with dip.  Most are happy to have an opportunity to share, but get why I have these rules.  Yes, gluten crumbs won't jump off the floor into my mouth, but you can bet my Hoover of a 2 year old will find it.  Gluten is NOT allowed in my house (including the backyard or pool area) - except a few bottles of beer and my husband's shaving cream.

So I would have politely told my friends *during the invite* to not bring food over.  I wouldn't want my friends trying to make something safe for my house when I knew full well that old wooden cutting board or splitting wooden spoons or contaminated cinammon was really making it unsafe for my kids.

Frankly, I'd rather incur the cost of making a 100% gluten-free meal to verify that my kids aren't the "odd man out" with their separate plate of food.  So, yeah, Thanksgiving is an expensive meal for us, but I can throw a killer Mexican fiesta night with lots of families over for about $30.  So worth it to avoid the worry.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

There is gluten in shaving cream? 

Yep!  It's only an issue for my youngest b/c they do a lot of shaving cream play and painting at school.  Barbasol is one without gluten (at least that's cost effective for wasteful play).  A friend (her kid can't have gluten, corn, egg, dairy) can only use ONE variety of Barbasol!

These are just the things you have to think about when the people with celiac are too young to keep their hands out of their mouths!

StephanieL Enthusiast

I just want to point out that MOST people don't need to worry about things like shampoo/shaving cream as you aren't going to eat it and gluten isn't absorbed through the skin.  For kids who are playing with it and then hands in the mouth and eyes is an issue, then perhaps they should be checked out.  In general, it is not an issue.

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

Um....Lets not bring back an Urban Myth. Caramel Coloring Is gluten free. It is typically made with corn.

Colleen

Colleen, my bad.

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

Today, no gluten will be allowed as we are having steak and I want all the leftovers!

Cyclinglady, what time is dinner? I want a steak!

cap6 Enthusiast

I haven't posted in quite sometime, but...with 4+ years of experience feel the need to respond.

First, it's your home and you have the right to expect No gluten in your home if that's what makes you feel comfortable, and that's the way my home is.  I am the only celiac in our home but it just makes it easier. 

When we have a party I serve only g.free.  While I am pretty much only organic & paleo myself I don't go that far with a party (too costly) but I will not have gluten in my home.  I do things like a potato or taco bar, chicken on the barbie or just snacks.  If someone want to bring something then I suggest something like a veggie plate (which I personaly don't eat especially if it came from a gluten kitchen) or chips or m&m's, ice cream, an extra bottle of wine,  something that I know is safe.  I just tell them g.f. only please.  At this point, after so many years, they all know and respect it. 

If someone blunders and happens to bring a gluten item I try to not make them feel uncomfortable.  I just take it, set it aside and quietly thank them but explain it's gluten and would they mind terribly if we didn't serve it.  With an extra hug and thanks a difficult situation is dealt with.    And I agree with CathyO, a true friend understands.  Our friends don't want to see me sick any more than I want me siclk! 

I see nothing wrong with saying No gluten.  Most people can sit down to a g.f. meal and never know that it's g.f.! 

And, just a moment on my soap box.....

We have to educate our family and friends.  Yes, many are resistent and don't want to listen, but friends that care and love you want to learn.  Many many people don't know what gluten is other than pasta or bread.  They are shocked to discover that it is in so many food items.  They don't get that the innocent dip they brought is deadly to us.  It may take several parties/events for family & friends to get the picture, but sooner or later they will.   Our friends now call ahead to ask if a certain item is ok to bring.  They know if it is a homemade item it is not ok (cross-contamination).   
On the other hand I have to be willing to be respectful of thier wishes when I am at their house.  They serve gluten.  I bring my own little dishes of food, admire what they have prepared, don't assist with any kitchen clean-up (yeah!  lol) , if anyone new at the party comments I mention that food allergies (allergies cause people understand that word) suck and we all move on.

I think so much is a learning curve.  We do things in the beginning, find they don't work, change and then change again till it fits.

And thank you for letting me stand on the box for a bit!

And on that happoy note I will have a glass of g.f. wine (yes, I know it all is) and toast to happier and easier family/friend get to-gethjer!

cyclinglady Grand Master

Cyclinglady, what time is dinner? I want a steak!

6:00 Pm PST and it is Tri-Tip. It is a Western cut. Have not seen it in GA, but I can tell you Iit is juicy and flavorful!

IrishHeart Veteran

Yep!  It's only an issue for my youngest b/c they do a lot of shaving cream play and painting at school. 

what shaving cream has gluten? seriously, I have never heard of this.!

My hubs has a beautiful, soft fluffy  beard, so it's a moot point, ^_^ but I am very curious.....

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

6:00 Pm PST and it is Tri-Tip. It is a Western cut. Have not seen it in GA, but I can tell you Iit is juicy and flavorful!

Enjoy it for me. :-) I've been craving a steak, but I'm saving it for my last gluten meal (love me some Outback Steakhouse).

LauraTX Rising Star

LauraTX, has your OCD improved at all since going gluten-free? I have GAD with OCD symptoms. 

I have to LOL at your signature. I was curious at the backstory so I googled "Silly Yak Girl" and then I found "Silly Yak Bakery." It took me saying it out loud to realize that Silly Yak is a play on words for celiac!

Nah, my OCD definitely isn't celiac related.

kareng Grand Master

Enjoy it for me. :-) I've been craving a steak, but I'm saving it for my last gluten meal (love me some Outback Steakhouse).

Outback Steakhouse has a very good gluten free reputation. I eat there and many others do too.

what shaving cream has gluten? seriously, I have never heard of this.!

My hubs has a beautiful, soft fluffy  beard, so it's a moot point, ^_^ but I am very curious.....

Almost all of them. My friend (with the kid that is allergic to everything) kept an excel sheet on her computer. We just took turns calling manufacturers and crossing them off our list. Between wheat germ and oats they kept getting the boot!

Like Stephanie mentioned - it's so much of a non-issue for the vast majority of people that it's not a concern. Plus, schools don't want to use gels, they want cream so that automatically eliminates half the market.

Archived