37 replies to this topic

#1 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

I have tests only from a year back, so I think I am due.

October 2012:  30

June 2013  33  (have gone  up more by now)

Going up 3 points isn't very impressive to me.  Anyone else have some scores?

Dee.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:26 AM

What units are you using?  If it's ng/mL, your levels are good, if it's nmol/L not so good.

http://ods.od.nih.go...thProfessional/

My last values were in the normal range while a year after diagnosis I was deficient.

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:34 AM

My D was at the low end of normal before diagnosis, when I was taking 2-3000 IU per day.  After 2 years gluten-free, and taking 10,000 IU per day my D is still at the low end of normal.  :rolleyes:  I blame some of that on living in Canada. LOL

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:43 AM

Hmmmm I seem to have lost a post so I am sorry if it is here twice.  My 33 was within normal, but it was on the border.  My nurse felt I should be midrange.  I am not sure what units were being used, perhaps later I can look it up.

Dee

#5 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

My ND told me to take 5000 iu per day as a minimum. The sun is supposed to be the best source of D. I live in So California so 10 minutes a day is the recommended time here. I haven't been consistent about doing it. The time needed depends on where you live, and the sun being out of course. Seems like even getting occasional sun might help if the supplements aren't doing it.

I don't know if D is one of those supplements that need to be taken with enough of something else for full absorption?

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#6 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

I would like to know the answer to Fruit Enthusiast's question whether vitamin D is better absorbed with anything in particular.  I am having more doctors analyze how much I should be taking.  I guess it somewhat would depend on whether my levels have risen.  I guess I got my sunshine today!  All winter, though, I only stuck my face in the sun.  If one could get it through the windows that would be nice.  It is too cold in MN to venture out many days, but often the sun shines in through the window, but I have heard that you can't get vitamin D through glass.

#7 HavaneseMom

HavaneseMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

Mine was 19 at diagnosis, and was up to 29 at my 6 month follow up. My doctor said I should try to get it up to somewhere between 50-60 for optimal benefits. I had been taking 3000-5000 IU a day for 6 months, and it only went up 10 points. It must be a slow one to rise for some people. I am in Michigan and get very little sun too.
Grateful to be correctly diagnosed at 40.
Likely misdiagnosed since childhood.
Blood test and Biopsies positive for Celiac Disease.
Gluten Free Since 10/9/13.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~ Dalai Lama

#8 NatureChick

NatureChick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:13 AM

I find it practically impossible to raise my vitamin D levels using supplements alone. I have both 5,000 I.U. and 1,000 I.U. and take them interchangeably with full meals that have a variety of food types but they don't seem to make much difference. Sorry, but I'm not sure where my latest test results are to see the numbers but I think I remember them only changing by about 2 points in six months the last time I had them tested. Of course, I don't take supplements every day, but I probably manage to remember 40-50% of the time because I still need to get my numbers up another 20 points or so.

But I tend to back off of taking supplements when I think that I'm experiencing side effects and vitamin D does have some serious ones when taking the higher-level doses or even lower-levels for too long. So I end up living in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" sort of limbo. 

I keep trying to make a concerted effort to just get more rays but it is tough. I'm outside all of the time except in the winter, but normally in the shade.

#9 sweetsailing

sweetsailing

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

My level started at 17, which was actually before I was diagnosed, but one more clue confirming that I likely have celiac.  I started taking 5,000 I.U per day and 6 months later my level was up to 43.  I stopped taking the supplements and just had another level drawn, so we will see if I back slid at all once I stopped the supplements.

Diagnosed Oct 2013 - Double DQ 2 (2.5 and 2.2)

Gluten Free Since April 2013, June 2013, and finally strictly gluten free since Oct 14th 2013 (Ok, it took a few tries to finally realize gluten was my issue)

Mustard Allergy

Osteopenia

#10 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

I don't even know what my D level is. I haven't had it checked. I was taking 1000 I.U. daily as recommended by my GI, then my Naturopathic Dr. told me to start taking 5000 I.U. without getting my D checked first (I wonder about her sometimes). I'm not aware of any adverse affects, but I'd really like to get opinions about whether my D level is something that I should have checked. It sounds like most of you are testing your D levels on a somewhat regular basis?

It seems to me like a good idea to have any vitamin/mineral levels checked that can be dangerously low or high. When I ask my ND about checking them, she doesn't seem as concerned as I am (?).

Also, I do live in sunny So CA, but I'm a redhead and the sun actually hurts my skin when it's too intense, which is practically always in the summer. So, living in a sunny place isn't always the answer either :)

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#11 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:00 AM

I didn't take my supplements with anything and my D levels went up.

#12 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:11 AM

That is interesting.  Did you get out more, or anything?

#13 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:14 AM

Mine was 18 at diagnosis...slowly increased...holding steady in high forties...annual retest is October.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#14 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:18 AM

That is interesting.  Did you get out more, or anything?

I don't think so.  I've always spent a lot of time outside.  I lived in that same northern city that whole time too.   I think that healing the damage caused by celiac disease probably helped with my vitamin D levels too.

#15 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:13 AM

Should add that I did supplement for the first couple of years post diagnosis, but haven't been able to tolerate supplements for about three years now and my D numbers have continued to increase -- no change in outdoor activity -- I've always been an outdoors person as long as I am vertical ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: