37 replies to this topic

#16 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:26 AM

I asked my nurse if vitamin D needs to be absorbed by the small intestine.  She didn't think so, it went right to the blood stream.  Maybe one needs more vitamin D when they have celiac untreated?  Any other ideas?  Why would levels go up when one isn't supplemented? 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:38 AM

I asked my nurse if vitamin D needs to be absorbed by the small intestine.  She didn't think so, it went right to the blood stream.  Maybe one needs more vitamin D when they have celiac untreated?  Any other ideas?  Why would levels go up when one isn't supplemented? 

All nutrients are absorbed better once the digestive system begins to function properly.  How is the supplement getting directly into the bloodstream?

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#18 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

I was referring to vitamin D made the best way, by the sun!

#19 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

I was referring to vitamin D made the best way, by the sun!

Ah...still don't understand that mechanism because I was in the sun everyday with very few exceptions over the 43 years I was undiagnosed...had low Vitamin D for at least 10 years prior to Celiac Disease diagnosis -- likely a lot longer than that, but it wasn't a test that was run on me in my early years...only know I was anemic since I was 18 -- again was likely anemic earlier but 18 was my first blood test.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#20 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:07 AM

I asked my nurse if vitamin D needs to be absorbed by the small intestine. She didn't think so, it went right to the blood stream. Maybe one needs more vitamin D when they have celiac untreated? Any other ideas? Why would levels go up when one isn't supplemented?

If you had Celiac, Levels would go up as you heal and can absorb it better from foods. It's spring/ summer - so you would get more from the sun. In the winter, the angle of the earth makes the sun very weak up where you live and harder to get any D through your skin.

Here is an explanation of how that works. It has to do with the skin and the liver.

http://health.howstu...d-from-sun1.htm

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#21 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

If you had Celiac, Levels would go up as you heal and can absorb it better from foods. It's spring/ summer - so you would get more from the sun. In the winter, the angle of the earth makes the sun very weak up where you live and harder to get any D through your skin.

Here is an explanation of how that works. It has to do with the skin and the liver.

http://health.howstu...d-from-sun1.htm

Thanks Karen :)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#22 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

Did you lose any weight?  I haven't.  My weight is in the acceptable range.  The article sighted seems to be saying that fat cells can occlude its usefulness in the body, if I get it right.  I tried to read the whole article, but it kept returning me to page 1.  I did note that sunscreen blocks out the rays that our body makes it from.  I haven't used sunscreen for years and rarely get burned.

Dee

#23 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:25 AM

Celiac disease affects all sorts of systems in the body.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is found to affect vitamin D production as well as absorption.  Perhaps that is why vitamin D levels go back up upon removal of gluten from the diet.

#24 thepeach80

thepeach80

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

I was 19 Dec 2010. Took 10000IU daily for a while, didn't get retested until May 2013 and it was 26. Went gluten-free in June and a year later I'm at 32. I have been slacking on Vit D supplement though. 

Jennifer, gluten free on and off since 2005, best I can remember sx started 2007, tTG of 4 1/13,

gallbladder out 2/13, scope 5/13 showing inconclusive damage to stomach and intestines,

tTG of 5 6/13, dx with non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity or maybe pre-Celiac, gluten free since 6/13,

appointment soon for second opinion

#25 thepeach80

thepeach80

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:12 PM

Depending on where you live, getting Vit D from the sun isn't easy to get. Here we have only 3-4 months where the sun is at the right angle etc for absorption. The other 8-9 mos supplements are needed.

Jennifer, gluten free on and off since 2005, best I can remember sx started 2007, tTG of 4 1/13,

gallbladder out 2/13, scope 5/13 showing inconclusive damage to stomach and intestines,

tTG of 5 6/13, dx with non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity or maybe pre-Celiac, gluten free since 6/13,

appointment soon for second opinion

#26 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

Hmmm... sunscreen blocks out the rays that provide vit D. I'm fair so I'm going to use sunscreen and take a D supplement. I've had family with minor skin cancer, but it was easy to remove and not serious. Still I have to be careful. Does anyone else ever feel like they weren't made to survive on this planet?

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#27 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

you only need 10/15 minutes per day of sun for Vitamin D.  you DO NOT want to develop a tan!  If you tan, you need more sun, rinse and repeat.

#28 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

what side effects??  unless you have a problem with the oily kind?  that may be gall bladder.

#29 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:12 AM

I got a new reading for my vitamin D.  Just to remember previous readings were 30(Minnesota Mn after diagnosis and some supplements, 33 (last June while gardening) and current (June) is 48!  That really jumped compared to the last time!

#30 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:02 AM

Good news

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: