37 replies to this topic

#31 motheroftwins2010

motheroftwins2010

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

Yes, for unknown reasons pre-diagnosis my Vit D levels were a bit high at 79 (I did not take any supplements and was not eating dairy so we chalked it up to being outside a lot and being very fair) now I'm nearly 90 and they've asked me to cut back on my new multivitamin, even though I'm low on other things, to prevent it from getting dangerous.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 greenbeanie

greenbeanie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

Does anyone have reliable info about what the recommended D level is? I've heard wildly different things from different doctors. My daughter and I were both tested in early summer last year, at the same lab. We both spend lots of time outside. Her level was 29, and her doctor said he wants to see it much higher, to 50 at least. My level was 30, and my doctor said that's more than enough and that there's no need to try to raise it through supplements or ever retest it to see if it goes up. Again, our blood was drawn at the same lab in the same week, presumably using the same testing methods. I have trouble believing that a 1-point difference between us shows that hers is much too low and mine is more than high enough. Or are there really drastically different levels of D that are considered adequate for children and adults?

I took supplements anyway, based on info from my daughter's doctor who seemed more informed - but I'm really just wondering if there's any actual medical consensus on adequate levels, or whether it just depends on each particular doctor's opinion.

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosis still unclear after extensive testing: Atypical wheat allergy, severe NCGI, or false negative celiac tests? Doctors disagree.Gluten challenge caused acute gastritis, esophagitis, and angioedema that lasted 4 months and was eventually determined to be a sulfite allergy. Gluten light for 15 years, then gluten free since June 2013.
Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Improved greatly within six months of going gluten-free.

#33 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

I'd say you both are at minimal acceptable. Do you have previous tests to compare if either of your levels have risen?

As example...mine was 17 at celiac diagnosis....rose to 28 with supplementation first year gluten-free...has continued to rise without supplementation each subsequent year since.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#34 greenbeanie

greenbeanie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

I'd say you both are at minimal acceptable. Do you have previous tests to compare if either of your levels have risen?

Thanks for the info, Lisa. My daughter has no other tests to compare to, but after that she started taking an adult dose of chewable Caltrate every day (which has 800IU of D3) on the recommendation of the dietitian at her GI's office, mainly for the calcium. My level was retested by a different doctor about six months after the first test and had risen significantly, though I forget the exact number now and the lab had a different reference range. I'd been supplementing with 4000IU per day in between and was feeling much better, so I stopped taking it regularly. I was never really clear on what level to aim for.

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosis still unclear after extensive testing: Atypical wheat allergy, severe NCGI, or false negative celiac tests? Doctors disagree.Gluten challenge caused acute gastritis, esophagitis, and angioedema that lasted 4 months and was eventually determined to be a sulfite allergy. Gluten light for 15 years, then gluten free since June 2013.
Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Improved greatly within six months of going gluten-free.

#35 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

I have some information about vitamin D levels.  It seems that there were some very high levels of vitamin D being recommended. Then the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies were asked to study the matter by the US and Candian governements.  They came up with lower recommendations.  Many labs and doctors are still using the very high levels.  Also, different units are used in different countries, which further complicates matters.  You can read about it here: http://www.iom.edu/R...-vitamin-D.aspx

#36 SkyBlue4

SkyBlue4

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

My Vit D went from the low end of insufficient (on supplements for years) to the high end of sufficient (without any supplements at all) after just 6 months gluten free. My antibodies were all down to almost nothing as well.

I was so happy that I wanted to frame that lab report!  :D

Celiac Disease 2013

~Elevated tTG IgA despite insufficient Total IgA~

Autoimmune Gastritis 2013   

LADA 2010

Hashimoto's Disease 2003

and...

#37 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

medscape.com/viewarticle718671 

you can try this, copy and paste wouldn't work....

#38 across

across

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

My doctor was appalled that I was at 20 and said she wants me to be near 80! That sounds pretty high to me. I'm not sure what to make of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: